Susan Alberti retires/resigns as WB vice president

Remove this Banner Ad

maxresdefault.jpg

Women's football trailblazer Susan Alberti steps down as Western Bulldogs vice-president
By Stephanie Chalkley-Rhoden
Updated yesterday at 10:10am

PHOTO: Susan Alberti has contributed a significant amount of her own money to women's football (ABC News: Karen Percy)
RELATED STORY: Meet the trailblazing powerhouses behind the women's AFL league
MAP: Melbourne 3000Bulldogs ended their 62-year premiership drought with a win over Sydney, and their successful run to the flag captured the hearts of neutral fans across the country.

https://twitter.com/download
Susan Alberti ⚪ @SusanAlberti1
Thank you for all your beautiful messages. I maybe retiring from WB but my heart and mind will love them forever. Go Dogs

Ms Alberti has supported the Bulldogs for 60 years. As a philanthropist, she has donated millions of dollars to medical research.

She has also given significant amounts to help prop up the women's football competition over the past decade and was a powerful driver behind the AFL's new national women's league.

Ms Alberti said there was "no doubt" her involvement in football had cleared a path for women who wanted to be involved in the game.

"I've been very vocal about women in football and I believe it is reverberating around the other clubs," she said.

"I want to see a women's team at every club. Playing football is not a privilege, it's a right."

Ms Alberti was also a key player in keeping the Bulldogs afloat, along with president Peter Gordon, when they were in financial dire straits during the 1990s.

"Things were drastic," she said.

She said she was not stepping away from football altogether and would still be involved with the Western Bulldogs.

"I'm interested in following women in football, I know a lot of young women who are playing in the competition and they confide in me, and I'll support them in anyway I can," she said.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

She's been fantastic. Remember her giving Sam Newman some stick when he rubbished females involved in the AFL and some of the knobs on this site came out and attacked her

What shes done for the female league has been awesome. But it goes further then that. A stable figure in a more often rocky bulldogs boardroom. Credit to her. Hopefully shes not lost

It was nice for her to experience the joy of a premiership, after the hard work she has put in to the club. But it was just nice to see her experience some joy after the immense sadness and loss she has experienced in her private life.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back