Suspending players for touching umpires

Remove this Banner Ad

Will SPP have a case to answer? Umpire running backwards with no line of sight and SPP running forwards seemingly looking in umps direction and makes no effort to change course. Did he expect the umpire to stop and avoid the contact when the ump wasn't looking, or should SPP have done more to avoid the contact?
Will he just get a fine, or will the AFL put their head in the sand and pretend it never happened?

Tipungwuti put his hand on the ump when that push in the back 50 was given (Stewart? May have received it, goaled from the goal line). Interesting to see if it comes up - commentators didn't mention it, Indigenous round coming up - no replay so may well have been accidental after he walked into him oe something but his hand was definitely on the umps arm.

Think it's ridiculous a player can touch an umpire with no malice at all and get a week, but we do know the precedent and it has been set. Tippa should at least be at the tribunal from what I saw.

I'm surprised anyone can touch an umpire, they umpire from 50 meters away and pull a free out of their ass. As for boundary umps, they are so slow to blow the whistle. U think the ball is out and play goes on, oh he kept it in and when the player is about to kick the whistle blows.

what about goddard pushing the gws player into the ump after he did he revers headbutt?
think there is a case to say umpires are getting to close as well and putting themselves in the firing line.

So who thinks Willie Rioli deserves a week for patting the ump on the bum?

I don't but it was intentional and that was the criteria used for Ed Curnow.

The absence of malice should come into it but the Hawkins saga became the Curnow saga and now human beings can't use human instincts.

So who thinks Willie Rioli deserves a week for patting the ump on the bum?

I don't but it was intentional and that was the criteria used for Ed Curnow.

The absence of malice should come into it but the Hawkins saga became the Curnow saga and now human beings can't use human instincts.

It was just a friendly bit of banter, so if it were up to me, a reprimand or small fine would be suitable to send the message not to do that again. However based on Ed Curnow and Hawkins being suspended for their touching being deemed to be intentional, Rioli has to be suspended for one game if we are to be consistent.

Unfortunately I think Willie is in a lot of trouble. AFL went right out of their way to make a point and the message from the tribunal appeal in Ed Curnow's case means that is a suspension.

Unfortunately I think Willie is in a lot of trouble. AFL went right out of their way to make a point and the message from the tribunal appeal in Ed Curnow's case means that is a suspension.

Takes a lot of humanity out of the game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reckon Willie cops a week....which is ridiculous really but when did that ever really matter?..

What a bizarre little corner the league has painted itself into...

What happens if someone of note (ie a Marquee player) was to do something as throw away and irrelevant in a Prelim?..

Somehow I don’t think they’d get a week.

Reckon Willie cops a week....which is ridiculous really but when did that ever really matter?..

What a bizarre little corner the league has painted itself into...

What happens if someone of note (ie a Marquee player) was to do something as throw away and irrelevant in a Prelim?..

Somehow I don’t think they’d get a week.

Yep, they really need to invent a common sense rule that says "there was no intent or malice towards the umpire who lived through the entire ordeal". You can bet if that happened to a name player in a prelim final, no way would they get a week. Rioli should not miss a match for that.

Last edited:
On the Treloar basis it should be ignored shouldn't it? But on the Curnow basis it's a week.

A total sham of a rule but this is what we're coming to. Willie and Tippa may well miss a showpiece round that means a lot to them for placing a soft hand on an ump. Awesome. Can't wait for a star to miss a GF.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back