Suspension in a Final

If Hall's punch on Staker was delivered in a Final would he have been given any weeks?

• Yes

Votes: 21 72.4%
  • No

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • Fine

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nothing to see here

Votes: 5 17.2%

• Total voters

Tex9798

Team Captain
Sep 25, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Amazing that Howe gets 5 weeks for a couple of minor incidents

Comes back and is on the receiving end of Caddys stomp and headlock - nothing to see here...

When Sicily was done for stepping on Atley's leg there was an Age article about how he faces a lengthy suspension for it.

Michael Christian said we can't tolerate that kind of incident in our game.

Social media went nuts.

He cops a week.

Caddy does two things which probably each warrant suspension (especially the stomp, far worse than Sicily), nothing, no articles, no outrage, no suspension and to top it off when a caller mentions it on SEN yesterday it was met with "we don't want someone missing a final for that do we?"

Open season I say, go nuts because apparently it's a different rule set and the old boys club in the media suddenly soften their stance on stamping out this kind of behaviour.

woosha24

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 5, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Gaff would have got a $2,000 fine. Maybe 1 week.

Barry Hall knocked Staker out with a lookaway hook and got to play in a GF.

Gaff lays a similar hit that does less overall damage, but because he doesnt belong to an AFL lovechild club he gets rubbed out for the whole season.

Its a farce.

Aug 27, 2007
Block 108 as loud as any
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Everton_East Freo_Atalanta_Tranmere
I really despise the narrative "you wouldn't want a player missing a final for that" or "you wouldn't want those sort of free kicks being paid in a grand final"

It really shouldn't make that much of a difference, but the inconsistency of the umpiring, tribunal proceedings and the league in general, has meant that those sort of terms are entering conversations come finals time and I know I'm not the only supporter that has lost a lot of faith in the league when these inconsistencies are so apparent

A bad hit is a bad hit - final or no final the grading should be the same

Jul 13, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I really despise the narrative "you wouldn't want a player missing a final for that" or "you wouldn't want those sort of free kicks being paid in a grand final"

It really shouldn't make that much of a difference, but the inconsistency of the umpiring, tribunal proceedings and the league in general, has meant that those sort of terms are entering conversations come finals time and I know I'm not the only supporter that has lost a lot of faith in the league when these inconsistencies are so apparent

A bad hit is a bad hit - final or no final the grading should be the same

The funny thing is the AFL keep a straight face when saying finals are treated the same for penalties.

And the media dont want to lose their grand final ticket gifts so they keep their mouths shut.

wal

Premiership Player
Mar 13, 2004
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
EFFC

Gaff lays a similar hit that does less overall damage, but because he doesnt belong to an AFL lovechild club he gets rubbed out for the whole season.

Its a farce.

Absolute farce, Hall shouldn't have been allowed to play in a grand final for a punch he threw 3 years into the future.:rolleyes:

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
Amazing that Howe gets 5 weeks for a couple of minor incidents

Comes back and is on the receiving end of Caddys stomp and headlock - nothing to see here...
I can't recall the stomp, so happy to see the vision and be proven otherwise, but a headlock? When have people gotten suspended for this?

Jun 5, 2004
AFL Club
West Coast

Its a farce.

Dude, Hall punched Matt Maguire from the Saints in the stomach and got off for the GF.

The Staker incident was years later and Hall got time for it.

You know Shiel came back on after Cotchin hit hit right and 10 minutes Dave Astbury leveled him and it was after that second hit Shiel was done for the day.

But a year later snide morons on the internet still whinge, because snide morons on the internet never know what they are talking about.

The Astbury contact is ignored because at the time, he wasn't considered to be that good, and the contact was indisputably fair, so all the haters figured they couldn't hurt Richmond that way, so they need to ignore it in order to get their sooking in.

it's almost as if the AFL is corrupt! let's wait for fat white guys in their 30s to contest this at their computers

Back