Recommitted Swallow may never play again

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can happen with elite junior athletes. They push their bodies too hard too young. Happened to a bloke at my hockey club - career was done by 23.

I remember reading an article somewhere that GCS were essentially on a program designed for experienced bodies / senior players from Day 1, and that this only went out the window when Rocket showed up.

If that's the case, maybe this sort of training load did have severe impact on some of their best players

Can happen with elite junior athletes. They push their bodies too hard too young. Happened to a bloke at my hockey club - career was done by 23.

I remember reading an article somewhere that GCS were essentially on a program designed for experienced bodies / senior players from Day 1,
and that this only went out the window when Rocket showed up.

If that's the case, maybe this sort of training load did have severe impact on some of their best players

Not sure where you read it but it's not true.

First 3 years programs were set at 60, 70 then 80% of full training load. At the time the supporters were moaning because of our lack of fitness

Same staff, but they couldn't have been because James Hird wasn't there

Poor ol Bombers forever the eternal victims

It was Dank and his magic flute that had the players dancing down the road to the off site Hyper med clinic, where they were forced to get jabs.

I remember reading an article somewhere that GCS were essentially on a program designed for experienced bodies / senior players from Day 1, and that this only went out the window when Rocket showed up.

Not sure that's correct. For the first few years of our existence the line continually put forward by the club in interviews with coaching staff was that the players were only doing 70/80/90% of a normal preseason load due to their ages. Players were definitely forced to shoulder too much of the workload on Matchday though, compared to youngsters at other clubs with more senior players. With Rockets arrival and especially Cordy last year, the programs are definitely now more individualized and specialized though.

Am happy to stand corrected on what I wrote above, I just seem to remember reading an article on the AFL website earlier this year

Maybe it was more along the lines of players needing individually tailored regimes rather than a one-size-fits-all approach

It's a horrible list of injured superstars , when you put it on one line like that it's a disaster
It was absolutely a disaster as you say, not only Gaz, JOM, Swallow and Prestia we also lost Lonergan, Martin, sexton, Fiorini, Hall and Hallahan from the midfield we also lost as well May (sus 5 weeks) Thompson, Kolodjashnij, Saad, McKenzie and Nichols for extended periods

Never had a chance To fire a shot

Sorry I can't give you my source. Happy for history to judge what I've stated.

Chris Broussard got dis

B7e4UrCCUAA-rKj.jpg

It was absolutely a disaster as you say, not only Gaz, JOM, Swallow and Prestia we also lost Lonergan, Martin, sexton, Fiorini, Hall and Hallahan from the midfield we also lost as well May (sus 5 weeks) Thompson, Kolodjashnij, Saad, McKenzie and Nichols for extended periods

Never had a chance To fire a shot
Pretty sure Rocket said the other day there were six games where we lost 2 players before half time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back