May 9, 2011
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
SMU Mustangs, Matildas
Sydney Swans

Mid Season Review

Played 11 Won 9 Lost 2 For 995 Against 719 138.4%

Sydney saunter into the bye round with a contented record of 9 wins and 2 losses, a game behind the impressive Fremantle Dockers and one game clear of the Eagles and Pies. One game further back again are early flag favourites Poorthorn, who have delighted the Sydney board (and the wider BF community alike) by dropping games to Essendon, Port and the Giants. The Swans also added to the Porks woes by downing them in a nailbiter at the MCG. But forget those guys, this is about the red and white.

While defeating last year’s premiers has started to heal the wounds of a disappointing 2014, the new season has had its fair share of low points, too. In fact, it very nearly started in disastrous fashion as a preseason deprived Essendon skipped out to a 41 point lead at Whatever-It’s-Called-This-Year Stadium, only to run short of peptides in the home straight.

The Giants and lowly Melbourne also provided the Swans with a few headaches, as Sydney struggled with turnovers and inaccurate forward entries. Against the Bullies, these errors proved costly, and the team of young guns from Melbourne’s West upset the Swans in a game the Red and Whites should have won. Sydney also sacrificed a good chance against Fremantle, falling short against the ladder leaders on their home deck.

And yet, 2015 has had it’s good times, too. The Swans obliterated Port in round two, ignoring a long held Sydney tradition of playing like idiots until at least round six. They smacked Geelong by 7 goals despite never getting out of third gear. And there were promising signs of a mid season build against the Suns and North.

Looking at the stats, few could complain where we’re at. Second on the ladder, second best defence (presuming Hawthorn concede more than 15 points against the Crows on the weekend) and a percentage only bettered by the Hawks and West Coast. A top four finish is to be expected. Top two is already a distinct possibility.

So who’ve been our best performers? Who has disappointed? And what surprises has the season thrown up so far? This is the Swans 2015 Season Review as I see it.

Best Player – Daniel Hannebery

If you can excuse his weekly near death experience, Hanners has been the most consistent performer week in week out for the club. He’s averaging 30.5 disposals a game, leads the team on DT points and sits third in those two key stat categories Swans fans love so much - contested possesions and tackles. He’s kicked seven goals for the season and is probably second only to the Fremantle golden child in Brownlow favouritism. If he can survive until September, 2015 could be Hanners’ year for a first Bob Skilton medal.

Biggest Surprise Packet – Sam Reid

Until 2015, Big Sam’s huge potential has been matched only by his failure to deliver on a consistant basis. With the arrival of Tippett and Buddy, questions began to surface as to whether we still had a place, or a need, for the lanky Melburnian. This season though, a new, clearer skinned, more assured Sam Reid has emerged. He's been everywhere - drifting between defence and the wings, occasionally swinging forward taking his turn in the ruck - big Sam is really beginning to deliver. He’s clunked marks that have been the catalyst for many a foray forward. And he’s been able to link up with others to prove excellent drive from defense. Altogether, Sam is a more polished, poised and professional contributor in 2015.

Unsung Hero – Heath Grundy

Nick Smith has probably won this title every year since about 1810. While Smith’s been great, I’m dipping my hat to Reg on an outstanding 2015. Grundy’s managed to stand up in a defence that’s seen the departure of Nick Malceski and perhaps (dare I say it) begun to herald the twilight of Ted Richards. He’s lead a group that can boast one of the most miserly records in the league – this despite the dubious contributions of Rampe and Shaw. Importantly too, Reg has managed to cut down his own clanger contributions, and with every game looks more solid and reliable. He’ll never get the headlines of Buddy, but let’s hope Buddy and Jesinta have him 'round for a meal every now and again. The Swans wouldn’t be the same without him.

People’s Choice Award – Isaac Heeney

There have been many hashtags that have failed to take off this year. #SexWithDrex was never going to make it. #BlowinForRohan has a modest following. And I must admit, I’ve been waiting in vain for a chance to use #Shawgasm. It's just not gonna happen. No, for a hashtag to stick it needs a player of caliber to stick it. We all know the player. We all know the tag.

Disappointment – Josh Kennedy

Now, I’m the last guy who wants to put the boot into Josh. He’s a brilliant player – and that’s the root of the problem. We all have such high expectations of players like Kennedy, that when they have a down year, it’s quite noticeable. Truth be told, JPK has been the beast of the engine room for so long we just can’t believe it when he’s not operating on all cylinders. He’s had a good year, but a disappointing one by his lofty standards.

Young Gun – Tommy Mitchell

Seriously, Horse. What the * was that all about? I mean, if this guy feels unwanted and takes his innumerable talents to another club some time there’ll be a lot of posters on this board who’ll be mighty pissed off. I’ll be one of them. Mitchell is a gun. Top 22 player yesterday, today and evermore. Period.

Highly Commended – Lewis Jetta, Gary Rohan, Jake Lloyd, Buddy

Jetts is having a fantastic year in a new, more composed role, few bounces, fewer long runs – just expert delivery, time and time again. And he’s tackling, too!

Gary Rohan’s pressure and pace up forward is fantastic to see. He'd be a gun if he didn't misfire once or twice on a weekly basis. Great to see the young bloke overcome that awful injury.

Jake Lloyd gets a mention for delivering a ball reliably, consistently, and more or less exactly where it’s supposed to be. Buddy must love him...

And we all love Buddy.

Best win – Hawks 9.15 69 Swans 11.7 73

Okay, the Hawks had half a dozen opportunities to ice the game in the last quarter, but their continual inability to do so makes it all the more delicious. Especially in light of some of the most one sided commentary the competition has ever seen. Great game. Great result. Cyyyyyrrrillll….

Poorest loss – Swans 10.13 73 Doggies 11.11 77

You’re always gonna drop a game or two throughout the year that you should have won, but when the loss is all of your own making it’s disappointing. Four points down the toilet. I'm just grateful it was to a team like the Doggies, and not say ... Collingwood.

The Run Home

Richmond (H), Port (H), Brisbane (A), Hawthorn (H), West Coast (A), Adelaide (H), Geelong (A), Collingwood (H), Giants (A), St Kilda (A), Gold Coast (H)

We’ve got 9-2 in the bank already. You’d think if we could go 9-2 in the back half that a top two spot would be a certainty. Looking at the run home I suspect 9-2 is a realistic goal. Hawthorn are always a danger, even at the SCG. West Coast are playing well but we have a good record at Patterson’s. Geelong away is tough, but not as tough as it used to be. And surely what Eddie did to us in the trade period is enough to get the boys across the line against the Pies.

I’m tipping 18-4 and a top two finish.

Go Swans!

Great write up. Especially enjoyed the Heeney section. Can't wait to see him again after the Bye - I think it's possible we've all forgotten just how good he is.

Agree with you on JPK, pity he's set himself some lofty standards...

I think my favourite thing about this year has been the rise in form of our midfield thanks to Mitchell partially. Fail to tag Luke and Hanners will dominate. Don't tag Hanners, Jack might pop up. Or Kennedy. Or Mitchell. Clearances aside they've been fantastic with their two way running.

McV also having an absolute killer year. Must easily be top 5 in B&F.

A move I'm still a little unsure of is Lloyd into the midfield. Is he doing a defensive role? Didn't look like it. His heat chart shows lately the majority of his possessions around the midfield especially V. GC. I liked it in the last v. Hawthorn but don't think I want it to become a permanent thing as I thought he was quiet last week and just okay against Gold Coast.

A move I'm still a little unsure of is Lloyd into the midfield. Is he doing a defensive role? Didn't look like it. His heat chart shows lately the majority of his possessions around the midfield especially V. GC. I liked it in the last v. Hawthorn but don't think I want it to become a permanent thing as I thought he was quiet last week and just okay against Gold Coast.

He had pretty limited time on the ground against North I think. May just be getting eased back into things after his ankle injury.

He had pretty limited time on the ground against North I think. May just be getting eased back into things after his ankle injury.

Lloyd played out the vast majority of the game against GC didn't he?

Sydney Swans

Mid Season Review

Played 11 Won 9 Lost 2 For 995 Against 719 138.4%

Sydney saunter into the bye round with a contented record of 9 wins and 2 losses, a game behind the impressive Fremantle Dockers and one game clear of the Eagles and Pies. One game further back again are early flag favourites Poorthorn, who have delighted the Sydney board (and the wider BF community alike) by dropping games to Essendon, Port and the Giants. The Swans also added to the Porks woes by downing them in a nailbiter at the MCG. But forget those guys, this is about the red and white.

While defeating last year’s premiers has started to heal the wounds of a disappointing 2014, the new season has had its fair share of low points, too. In fact, it very nearly started in disastrous fashion as a preseason deprived Essendon skipped out to a 41 point lead at Whatever-It’s-Called-This-Year Stadium, only to run short of peptides in the home straight.

The Giants and lowly Melbourne also provided the Swans with a few headaches, as Sydney struggled with turnovers and inaccurate forward entries. Against the Bullies, these errors proved costly, and the team of young guns from Melbourne’s West upset the Swans in a game the Red and Whites should have won. Sydney also sacrificed a good chance against Fremantle, falling short against the ladder leaders on their home deck.

And yet, 2015 has had it’s good times, too. The Swans obliterated Port in round two, ignoring a long held Sydney tradition of playing like idiots until at least round six. They smacked Geelong by 7 goals despite never getting out of third gear. And there were promising signs of a mid season build against the Suns and North.

Looking at the stats, few could complain where we’re at. Second on the ladder, second best defence (presuming Hawthorn concede more than 15 points against the Crows on the weekend) and a percentage only bettered by the Hawks and West Coast. A top four finish is to be expected. Top two is already a distinct possibility.

So who’ve been our best performers? Who has disappointed? And what surprises has the season thrown up so far? This is the Swans 2015 Season Review as I see it.

Best Player – Daniel Hannebery

If you can excuse his weekly near death experience, Hanners has been the most consistent performer week in week out for the club. He’s averaging 30.5 disposals a game, leads the team on DT points and sits third in those two key stat categories Swans fans love so much - contested possesions and tackles. He’s kicked seven goals for the season and is probably second only to the Fremantle golden child in Brownlow favouritism. If he can survive until September, 2015 could be Hanners’ year for a first Bob Skilton medal.

Biggest Surprise Packet – Sam Reid

Until 2015, Big Sam’s huge potential has been matched only by his failure to deliver on a consistant basis. With the arrival of Tippett and Buddy, questions began to surface as to whether we still had a place, or a need, for the lanky Melburnian. This season though, a new, clearer skinned, more assured Sam Reid has emerged. He's been everywhere - drifting between defence and the wings, occasionally swinging forward taking his turn in the ruck - big Sam is really beginning to deliver. He’s clunked marks that have been the catalyst for many a foray forward. And he’s been able to link up with others to prove excellent drive from defense. Altogether, Sam is a more polished, poised and professional contributor in 2015.

Unsung Hero – Heath Grundy

Nick Smith has probably won this title every year since about 1810. While Smith’s been great, I’m dipping my hat to Reg on an outstanding 2015. Grundy’s managed to stand up in a defence that’s seen the departure of Nick Malceski and perhaps (dare I say it) begun to herald the twilight of Ted Richards. He’s lead a group that can boast one of the most miserly records in the league – this despite the dubious contributions of Rampe and Shaw. Importantly too, Reg has managed to cut down his own clanger contributions, and with every game looks more solid and reliable. He’ll never get the headlines of Buddy, but let’s hope Buddy and Jesinta have him 'round for a meal every now and again. The Swans wouldn’t be the same without him.

People’s Choice Award – Isaac Heeney

There have been many hashtags that have failed to take off this year. #SexWithDrex was never going to make it. #BlowinForRohan has a modest following. And I must admit, I’ve been waiting in vain for a chance to use #Shawgasm. It's just not gonna happen. No, for a hashtag to stick it needs a player of caliber to stick it. We all know the player. We all know the tag.

Disappointment – Josh Kennedy

Now, I’m the last guy who wants to put the boot into Josh. He’s a brilliant player – and that’s the root of the problem. We all have such high expectations of players like Kennedy, that when they have a down year, it’s quite noticeable. Truth be told, JPK has been the beast of the engine room for so long we just can’t believe it when he’s not operating on all cylinders. He’s had a good year, but a disappointing one by his lofty standards.

Young Gun – Tommy Mitchell

Seriously, Horse. What the * was that all about? I mean, if this guy feels unwanted and takes his innumerable talents to another club some time there’ll be a lot of posters on this board who’ll be mighty pissed off. I’ll be one of them. Mitchell is a gun. Top 22 player yesterday, today and evermore. Period.

Highly Commended – Lewis Jetta, Gary Rohan, Jake Lloyd, Buddy

Jetts is having a fantastic year in a new, more composed role, few bounces, fewer long runs – just expert delivery, time and time again. And he’s tackling, too!

Gary Rohan’s pressure and pace up forward is fantastic to see. He'd be a gun if he didn't misfire once or twice on a weekly basis. Great to see the young bloke overcome that awful injury.

Jake Lloyd gets a mention for delivering a ball reliably, consistently, and more or less exactly where it’s supposed to be. Buddy must love him...

And we all love Buddy.

Best win – Hawks 9.15 69 Swans 11.7 73

Okay, the Hawks had half a dozen opportunities to ice the game in the last quarter, but their continual inability to do so makes it all the more delicious. Especially in light of some of the most one sided commentary the competition has ever seen. Great game. Great result. Cyyyyyrrrillll….

Poorest loss – Swans 10.13 73 Doggies 11.11 77

You’re always gonna drop a game or two throughout the year that you should have won, but when the loss is all of your own making it’s disappointing. Four points down the toilet. I'm just grateful it was to a team like the Doggies, and not say ... Collingwood.

The Run Home

Richmond (H), Port (H), Brisbane (A), Hawthorn (H), West Coast (A), Adelaide (H), Geelong (A), Collingwood (H), Giants (A), St Kilda (A), Gold Coast (H)

We’ve got 9-2 in the bank already. You’d think if we could go 9-2 in the back half that a top two spot would be a certainty. Looking at the run home I suspect 9-2 is a realistic goal. Hawthorn are always a danger, even at the SCG. West Coast are playing well but we have a good record at Patterson’s. Geelong away is tough, but not as tough as it used to be. And surely what Eddie did to us in the trade period is enough to get the boys across the line against the Pies.

I’m tipping 18-4 and a top two finish.

Go Swans!
High quality stuff DT. Bit of humour never goes astray, specially after the filth that erupted from the Dr Feelgoodes haters after his f***en beautiful war dance.

Fantastic write up discotobo great effort.

We are sitting so nicely , a good response overall to last year, but there has been some patchy form at times especially early.

The dogs one still hurts as one we threw away.

Areas of concern for me are Ruck, Tall defender set up and Shaws role. Slight concern over kennedy and Tippett in terms of consistency and their usual output.

Henney and Mcglynn returning will be great, especially to see Henney back.

Highlights so far for me

Goodes return to form
Parker and Hannerbery elevating their game further
Mcveigh leadership
Jacks last couple of weeks
Franklin defensive work continuing
Jetta emerging as a higher possession winner
Grundy AA form
Mitchell in the side and flourishing
Longmires changes to ball movement and willingness to make hard calls

I'm glad you highlighted Reid, he was a whipping boy on the board earlier in the year and not without some justification, but he has been much better in recent weeks.

Very happy with the team being 9-2 obviously, but when Grundy came off against North with that knee complaint it highlighted to me just how reliant we are on a few players staying fit. The response after the bye will be important. Richmond will be a huge game, wouldn't be surprised if we get 40,000 with the SCG renovations done.

I'm glad you highlighted Reid, he was a whipping boy on the board earlier in the year and not without some justification, but he has been much better in recent weeks.

Very happy with the team being 9-2 obviously, but when Grundy came off against North with that knee complaint it highlighted to me just how reliant we are on a few players staying fit. The response after the bye will be important. Richmond will be a huge game, wouldn't be surprised if we get 40,000 with the SCG renovations done.

Freo then Melbourne game (with missing one between) boosted his confidence

Can I just say I 100% disagree with JPK. Was in elite form before the WB game, and now he is part of the midfield rotation, which actually helps our side more. Him being there has taken pressure off Parker, Mitchell Hanners, etc. He is not having a Fyfe season, but he isn't having a dud season. If anything I'd rather him not be killing it in round 10!

Biggest disappointment, Kieran Jack by an absolute mile, doesn't do nearly enough.

Lets be honest it was when you lost that bet he turned the corner!

#IHadFaithInReid

He was s**t to start

he still has some average games at times, but i think he gets involved more with a lot of play not showing on stats sheet

eg on the weekend

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Richmond (H)
Hawthorn (H)
West Coast
Collingwood (H)

3 massive games coming up at home hopefully good weather for them.

Win all of the above and we will probably finish on top.

If Collingwood keep up their form that game at the SCG could be the biggest in a while.

He was s**t to start

he still has some average games at times, but i think he gets involved more with a lot of play not showing on stats sheet

eg on the weekend

At least we are playing to his strengths now. He will never be an elite kick, but he sure is an elite mark. On a wing you can cover disposal efficiency and him as a kick out option is good.

eg on the weekend

For sure, the goal that Parker set up for Goodes in the second quarter against North wouldn't have happened if not for Reid's play leading up to it.

Richmond (H)
Hawthorn (H)
West Coast
Collingwood (H)

3 massive games coming up at home hopefully good weather for them.

Win all of the above and we will probably finish on top.

Have you seen Freo's draw? Apart from Hawthorn they will dead set cakewalk it in. Top 2 is plenty anyway. No need to go flat out for the minor premiership.

For sure, the goal that Parker set up for Goodes in the second quarter against North wouldn't have happened if not for Reid's play leading up to it.

Amazing what a little bit of self confidence can do and I feel as if Reid more than any other player suffers a bit of self doubt.

Have you seen Freo's draw? Apart from Hawthorn they will dead set cakewalk it in. Top 2 is plenty anyway. No need to go flat out for the minor premiership.

Freo looked tired to me the last few weeks i think they might drop a few games after the bye.

Hawthorn away
Richmond away
Derby
North away
Port away

Last edited:
Better placed than I thought.

Weird top 8

Expect the Pies and GWS to fall a fair way with the draw and injuries respectively. Hawks to finish top 4 with I dunno who else.

Injury gods stay with us please....we have been nice not naughty really.

Freo looked tired to me the last few weeks i think they might drop a few games after the bye.

Hawthorn away
Richmond away
Derby
North away
Port away

They are not losing to WCE or North. Hawthorn yes. The others will be comfortable

I think mcveighs leadership deserves a mention, something where he may have been down on previous he's really picked up an become inspirational, I love watching him play an I can't be the only one who noticed his 94% efficiency last week, he's a class act an a great leader

I think mcveighs leadership deserves a mention, something where he may have been down on previous he's really picked up an become inspirational, I love watching him play an I can't be the only one who noticed his 94% efficiency last week, he's a class act an a great leader

I agree, seems a natural leader too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back