List Mgmt. Swans Best 22 for 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

Nah. The final minutes of a grand final have nothing to do with rotations.

Bird places well in B&F's because he is a very consistent and reliable role player who does exactly what he is asked to do by the coaching staff. He plays at his best most weeks, which is more than you can say for most players, but his best isn't as damaging as a number of other people on the list.

Cunningham finished 10th last year, FWIW.

I think Bird is good but you don't need to paint the lily.

I wasn't painting the lily, just picking it up after careless feet had stepped on it. Had Bird been fully fit in the last GF he wouldn't have been sub. He plays the role of a tagging midfielder who can hurt on the rebound. That's an experienced role and not one that's easily filled.

Cunningham had a good year in 2014 and deserved 10th, though his inexperience showed in the GF, as it did with most of the younger players. Does your FWIW imply that you think the judging is poor ? That's a big call.

If we were a rebuilding team out of contention for finals I'd say bring on the newbies, but we're not. Our premiership window is wide open and it's our experienced players who are holding it open.

I wasn't painting the lily, just picking it up after careless feet had stepped on it. Had Bird been fully fit in the last GF he wouldn't have been sub. He plays the role of a tagging midfielder who can hurt on the rebound. That's an experienced role and not one that's easily filled.

Cunningham had a good year in 2014 and deserved 10th, though his inexperience showed in the GF, as it did with most of the younger players. Does your FWIW imply that you think the judging is poor ? That's a big call.

If we were a rebuilding team out of contention for finals I'd say bring on the newbies, but we're not. Our premiership window is wide open and it's our experienced players who are holding it open.

No, I'm saying that someone's B&F finish doesn't necessarily represent their overall value to the team. Was Cunningham out 10th most valuable player last year? I'd say almost certainly not. But he likely exceeded coaches' expectations/instructions.

I'm also not suggesting we replace Bird. Like I said, I think he's good and should be in the side at the moment. But I also feel he's got reasonable limitations, and he'd be one of the mids in the frame when making a decision about Heeney (I'd replace Lloyd first though. Cunningham & Rohan too, but I don't think they'd feature in that decision for the coaches).

No, I'm saying that someone's B&F finish doesn't necessarily represent their overall value to the team. Was Cunningham out 10th most valuable player last year? I'd say almost certainly not. But he likely exceeded coaches' expectations/instructions.

I'm also not suggesting we replace Bird. Like I said, I think he's good and should be in the side at the moment. But I also feel he's got reasonable limitations, and he'd be one of the mids in the frame when making a decision about Heeney (I'd replace Lloyd first though. Cunningham & Rohan too, but I don't think they'd feature in that decision for the coaches).
Serious LOL at our Best and Fairest. I really hope nobody actually thinks it represents the best 10 players of the year.

Adam Goodes was 3 votes off winning the damn Brownlow in 2008, and didn't even place in our top 10.

Serious LOL at our Best and Fairest. I really hope nobody actually thinks it represents the best 10 players of the year.

Adam Goodes was 3 votes off winning the damn Brownlow in 2008, and didn't even place in our top 10.

It's hard to tell. I've always thought of the Brownlow as the umps voting on which player impresses them the most. That's likely to be different to the value they add to the Swans. Hell, if Rampe impressed in the midfield he'd no doubt get some Charlie votes (midfielders always seem to hog them) but he'd get nothing but an earful from Horse who'd be asking "What the feck are you doing in the midfield ?" "You're a freakin' defender !"

Mind you, I think you cherry picked the stats a little. Goodes did win both the Charlie & the Bobby in 2003 & 2006

There was a chase in the third quarter where he chased Whitfield from miles back, he chased for about 80 meters, didn't catch him but nearly got there, its the first time ive seen him chase in a while, surely that can only mean good signs that he is much more able than last year. We def cant have sides just running of him all game just so we can have a bit of x factor in the forward line.

It isn't his straight forward chasing that is the problem. If he is running straight ahead he is more than fine. It is when he has to stop and prop that the problems start, his leg goes from under him and he has to stop. He might regain but it is generally too late by then. He needs to be managed and played very deep to cause problems as a leading forward. That makes the probability of a player running off very slim as he would then be leaving Goodes on his own deep, a very scary prospect.

Bird would wanna do better tagging jobs than he did on R Grey if he is to win the Carlie Bungee

Grey is like Ablett, he is quick and far too quick for Birdie. That was a coaching mistake not Birdie's fault. I think Grey is probably potentially the best inside mid in the comp. He will poll very high in the Brownlow this year, a super young player.

Bit like Reid trying to go one on one with Cameron. The guy is too good for most experienced defenders. Better to concentrate on killing supply to these types of players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bit like Reid trying to go one on one with Cameron. The guy is too good for most experienced defenders. Better to concentrate on killing supply to these types of players.

Agree but if you have a tagger who can go with them then by all means play that player. for instance if we decided to play Heeney on Grey or Ablett, he couldn't do any worse than the current tagger, he might just shut them down a bit and get the ball himself. But the Reid as a 1 or 2 key defender at this stage is too early as he has been playing forward and isn't used to playing back. We would be much better using Aliir who plays that role every week in the reserves.

I agree on your comments on Reid but I doubt Heeney would have the experience to go with a gun player (yet). Bird, despite some limitations, can restrict most players while also hurting them on attack. In AFL circles he's well rated as a tagger. Mind you, it could do Heeney good to run with some of the best.

I agree on your comments on Reid but I doubt Heeney would have the experience to go with a gun player (yet). Bird, despite some limitations, can restrict most players while also hurting them on attack. In AFL circles he's well rated as a tagger. Mind you, it could do Heeney good to run with some of the best.

As much as i love Birdie as a player he is far too slow for either Gazz or Grey. They burn him off every time. What works with Gaz is to restrict the majority of his disposals to HB. The problem with Grey is his HB is ultra damaging, you need to have someone who can run with him as he is really fast off the mark. not fast over long distances but over the short burst he is a handfull.

Hey guys.

Sorry to intrude but I've been posting my best 22's for all 18 clubs on the main AFL board over the summer. Would love to get your thoughts on Sydney's BEST 22. Not necessarily the Round 1 team but the best available.

Good luck in 2015. You've got the talent and hunger to go one better and being in NSW you guys are my designated team over here.

FULL BACKS: Sam Reid ~ Ted Richards ~ Nick Smith
HALF BACKS: Jarrad McVeigh ~ Heath Grundy ~ Dane Rampe

MIDFIELDERS:
Lewis Jetta ~ Josh Kennedy ~ Dan Hannebery
FOLLOWERS: Myke Pyke ~ Luke Parker ~ Kieren Jack

HALF FORWARDS:
Craig Bird ~ Lance Franklin ~ Tom Mitchell
FULL FORWARDS: Adam Goodes ~ Kurt Tippett ~ Ben McGlynn

INTERCHANGE:
Issac Heeney ~ Harry Cunningham ~ Gary Rohan
SUB: Brandon Jack

• Starting in the back line it's time now to play 3 genuine talls down back and regularly. Which is where Reid becomes the third tall. As good as Rampe has been since 2013 he isn't a third tall down back and especially with Malco gone you need to utilise his composure, disposal and smarts off HB.
  • McVeigh was an All Australian HB from 2013 and a logical replacement on the other HBF.
  • The midfield doesn't need to change much. Good mix of inside strength and outside class and speed. I've seen some Sydney Best 22's with Hannebery in the guts, bad move. He's built a reputation as one of the best outside runners in the game by playing his natural game on a wing. Don't change it up.
  • I've added Bird inside onto a forward flank for the specific reason of defensive pressure, locking the ball inside 50 and potentially playing a defensive forward role on a damaging HBF. Mitchell works into the best 22 as a second string midfielder and goal kicker inside 50. Smart player and attracts the ball.
  • I don't see it happening straight away but I think during 2015 (preferably early) Rhyce Shaw needs to be phased out of the best 22 to allow for regeneration in the team and give young players like Heeney or Zak Jones regular games. Both are solid bodied and ready to mix it regularly at AFL level.
  • Brandon Jack I've chosen to replace Jake Lloyd. No disrespect meant to Lloyd because his run in the seniors from early last year was very good from a first year player but I think Brandon can be a real impact small forward later in a game with his fresh legs and goal sense.

Shaw Grundy Smith
Rampe Richards McVeigh
Mitchell Kennedy Bird
Jetta Tippett Lloyd
Heeney Franklin McGlynn

Pyke Jack Parker
Bench:
Hanners Laidler Reid Goodes

Reid either has to play down back and swing forward occasionally or not play imo.
Rohan needs reserves, I think we can afford to play either he or Jetta not both at this point in time.

Cunningham stiff imo, towers, Rohan still will get chances when injuries/suspensions come up.

B Smith grundy rampe
Hb laidler richards mcveigh
C hannebery parker cunningham
Hf mcglynn franklin rohan
F heeney tippett towers
Foll naismith, kennedy jack
Int bird Mitchell lloyd goodes jetta One to be dropped

Reid can come in for laidler when he can defend

B Smith grundy rampe
Hb laidler richards mcveigh
C hannebery parker cunningham
Hf mcglynn franklin rohan
F heeney tippett towers
Foll naismith, kennedy jack
Int bird Mitchell lloyd goodes jetta One to be dropped

Reid can come in for laidler when he can defend

Good team Sir Swans. I think McVeigh off HB instead of the midfield is critical, needs to happen.

Bit different team to mine but that again proves the depth at Sydney. Just wondering what in your opinion are the pros and cons of Naismith V Pyke? You seem to be in preference of Naismith.

Also with Towers, do you think he will become the Goodes replacement in the team?

Good team Sir Swans. I think McVeigh off HB instead of the midfield is critical, needs to happen.

Bit different team to mine but that again proves the depth at Sydney. Just wondering what in your opinion are the pros and cons of Naismith V Pyke? You seem to be in preference of Naismith.

Also with Towers, do you think he will become the Goodes replacement in the team?

Yep i not sold on jetta off half back and i ditched shaw, i am not sure on our depth but may as well try to develop some.

I think Pyke is cooked but i am the only one who thinks that so he is safe as houses, i am just tired of his slow plodding round the ground, i think he has lost speed and does not get the ball as much but more importantly his hit outs are limited, he just taps it to his feet every time

I think derricxk offers little more than a battering ram, not against seeing him again, but i went naismith on the basis that tippett in round 1 did a lot of ruck work, he is our best ruck so why not develop a kid, naismith looked lost in seniors but not bad in nab and is ahead of nankervis with selectors it seems. I did like what i saw of nankervis though so either or

Towers again i think i am the minority but he was solid round 1, he has a bit of height, speed and footy smarts, long way to go but could be a good fwd mid option in my view

Yep i not sold on jetta off half back and i ditched shaw, i am not sure on our depth but may as well try to develop some.

I think Pyke is cooked but i am the only one who thinks that so he is safe as houses, i am just tired of his slow plodding round the ground, i think he has lost speed and does not get the ball as much but more importantly his hit outs are limited, he just taps it to his feet every time

I think derricxk offers little more than a battering ram, not against seeing him again, but i went naismith on the basis that tippett in round 1 did a lot of ruck work, he is our best ruck so why not develop a kid, naismith looked lost in seniors but not bad in nab and is ahead of nankervis with selectors it seems. I did like what i saw of nankervis though so either or

Towers again i think i am the minority but he was solid round 1, he has a bit of height, speed and footy smarts, long way to go but could be a good fwd mid option in my view

Think swans are seriously regretting trading Mumford, should of let someone go to enusre they kept him. He is (and was) one of the premium rucks.

Naismith, i'm not sure he ready yet? Saw him vs Richmond last year, he was pretty bad.....but saying that I haven't seen much of him this year. Derricxk is not a starting ruckman (in a bad place if he is).

Towers needs to improve his kickign efficiency, everytime I see him he turns it over or misses the mark.

Think swans are seriously regretting trading Mumford, should of let someone go to enusre they kept him. He is (and was) one of the premium rucks.

Naismith, i'm not sure he ready yet? Saw him vs Richmond last year, he was pretty bad.....but saying that I haven't seen much of him this year. Derricxk is not a starting ruckman (in a bad place if he is).

Towers needs to improve his kickign efficiency, everytime I see him he turns it over or misses the mark.

I guess without a trade ban we might have got a ruckman maybe even ryder

Remove this Banner Ad

Back