Swans best 22 in 2018?

Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
I could be wrong but I don't think this annual thread has been created yet but now the drafts are done it can now be discussed.

For me I am going with 2 different teams. First off I am going with what I think will be the best 22 in round 1, and then I am going with what I think the best 22 might need to be near the end of the season in order to potentially win a flag.

Round 1
B: Nick Smith, Heath Grundy, Lewis Melican
HB: Jarrad McVeigh, Dane Rampe, Jake Lloyd
C: Dan Hannebery, Josh Kennedy, Zak Jones
HF: Kieren Jack, Sam Reid, George Hewett
F: Gary Rohan, Lance Franklin, Tom Papley
R: Sam Naismith, Luke Parker, Isaac Heeney
INT: Callum Mills, Nic Newman, Kurt Tippett, Will Hayward

and who I think the best 22 should be if we hope to win a flag

HF: Nic Newman, Sam Reid, George Hewett
F: Will Hayward, Lance Franklin, Tom Papley
R: Kurt Tippett, Luke Parker, Isaac Heeney
INT: Callum Mills, Jordan Dawson, Oliver Florent, Aliir Aliir

To be honest I almost had Nick Smith out of the side as well. I also think with the addition of Aliir we can move Mills into the midfield full time. I think McVeigh will still be good throughout 2018 but I think Jack will probably fall out of our best 22 during the season.

Also as unpopular as it is to say, in form, Tippett is our best ruckman. Now we have not seen that form in ages but I think if we want to win the flag then he needs to be in form and in the best 22 as our role ruckman.

As for Rohan, I think at the moment he and Hayward are fighting for a single spot, but I can't quite decide who should have it. The only reason I pushed Rohan out is that his form in the important finals has often been quite poor but in saying that he is still either the 23rd or 24th player picked so it would only take 1 or 2 injuries for him to be back in that side.

Also while I find the draftees we got this year promising, none of them scream "best 22" in their first year so I did not select any of them.

What do you all think and what are your best 22's, either for round 1 or what you think would be a team that could win the flag?

Kapanis

Cancelled
Sydney Swans - Gary Rohan Player Sponsor 2018 Sydney Swans - George Hewett Player Sponsor 2017
Jul 26, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
I could be wrong but I don't think this annual thread has been created yet but now the drafts are done it can now be discussed.

For me I am going with 2 different teams. First off I am going with what I think will be the best 22 in round 1, and then I am going with what I think the best 22 might need to be near the end of the season in order to potentially win a flag.

Round 1

To be honest I almost had Nick Smith out of the side as well. I also think with the addition of Aliir we can move Mills into the midfield full time. I think McVeigh will still be good throughout 2018 but I think Jack will probably fall out of our best 22 during the season.

Also as unpopular as it is to say, in form, Tippett is our best ruckman. Now we have not seen that form in ages but I think if we want to win the flag then he needs to be in form and in the best 22 as our role ruckman.

As for Rohan, I think at the moment he and Hayward are fighting for a single spot, but I can't quite decide who should have it. The only reason I pushed Rohan out is that his form in the important finals has often been quite poor but in saying that he is still either the 23rd or 24th player picked so it would only take 1 or 2 injuries for him to be back in that side.

Also while I find the draftees we got this year promising, none of them scream "best 22" in their first year so I did not select any of them.

What do you all think and what are your best 22's, either for round 1 or what you think would be a team that could win the flag?
No Towers I see. He will play a lot of games again.

Jun 16, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
What aliir lacks is experience. His elusiveness is his greatest strength, and can get past 1 or 2 players with ease, its the 3rd and 4th that get him unstuck. He needs to learn when to go and when to hold back and unfortunately playing against uni kids week in week out isnt going to help him or us.

Play him in the seniors and take thr good with the bad while he is learning

B: Smith - Grundy - Rampe
HB: Lloyd - Melican - McVeigh
C: Hannebery - Kennedy - Jones
HF: Hayward - Reid - Jack
FF: Rohan - Franklin - Papley
R: Tippett - Parker - Heeney
INT: Hewett - Mills - Dawson - Aliir

Not sure about Smith in the team but they will pick him so couldn't leave him out. Newman/Florent/Towers next in line.

Feb 5, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
B: Smith - Grundy - Aliir
HB: Lloyd - Rampe - Mills
C: Hannebery - Kennedy - Jones
HF: Hayward - Reid - Jack
FF: Rohan - Franklin - Papley
R: Tippett - Parker - Heeney
INT: Hewett - Newman - Florent - Mcveigh
EMG: Naismith - Towers - Melican

I'd like to see Mcveigh come off the bench and fit in where needed depending on our oppositions set up and style of play on any given week. Due to his lack of leg speed that could be half forward or half back. If his body fails then its Towers back in or blood Dawson properly.

We need to get a few games at the start of the year into Florent to see if he can cut it yet or not in 2018. Again its Towers or Dawson in for him after 6 odd games if he isnt up to speed yet.

Through my eyes that is a ripping best 22 which will blow plenty of sides away and then will be interesting to see if it melts under intense pressure from top 4 rivals or not when pressure footy is applied.

Kapanis

Cancelled
Sydney Swans - Gary Rohan Player Sponsor 2018 Sydney Swans - George Hewett Player Sponsor 2017
Jul 26, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
Looks like Cunningham will play a lot of neafl for the next couple of years

Kapanis

Cancelled
Jul 26, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
I think Cunningham is a very good depth player to have. He isn't a bad player and he isn't going to lose games for us, but he isn't a match winner either.
Not in my best 22 either

(Log in to remove this ad.)

wtf @ anyone talking about Smith not being in the side? Fair dinkum he was crap to start the year (I myself said the fault for our 0-6 start rested more on his shoulders than the likes of Aliir and Newman) but geez he came good in the second half and was back to his usual consistent self. There's absolutely no way he's not in the best 22.

My ideal 22:
B: Smith, Grundy, Rampe
HB: Lloyd, Melican, Aliir
C: Jones, Hannebery, Jack
R: Naismith, Kennedy, Parker
HF: Hewett, Franklin, Heeney
FF: Papley, Reid, Rohan
I/C: McVeigh, Newman, Mills, Hayward

(my best 22 would have Towers, Sinclair, Cunningham and Tippett nowhere in sight). McVeigh and Naismith are the two big question marks - Florent would be first in line should an injury arise.

Probable 22:
B: Smith, Grundy, Rampe
HB: Lloyd, Melican, McVeigh
C: Jones, Hannebery, Heeney
R: Tippett, Kennedy, Parker
HF: Hewett, Franklin, Jack
FF: Papley, Reid, Rohan
I/C: Newman, Mills, Hayward, Towers

SouthSwans

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 29, 2005
Glen Iris, Victoria
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Bushrangers, Liverpool, Celtics
B: Smith - Grundy - Rampe
HB: Lloyd - Melican - Mills
C: Jones - Hewett - Heeney
HF: Hannebery - Reid - Franklin
F: Papley - Sinclair - Jack
I/C: McVeigh, Towers, Hayward, Newman
Emerg: Rohan, Tippett, Aliir

momentbymoment

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 9, 2014
Noosa
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Liverpool

Round 1

I'd like to see Stevie J take Rohan under his wing and give him some tips from the dark side.

Oct 2, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
B: Nick Smith, Heath Grundy, Callum Mills
HB: Jake Lloyd, Lewis Melican, Dane Rampe
C: Zak Jones, Luke Parker, George Hewett
HF: Isaac Heeney, Lance Franklin, Tom Papley
F: Kieren Jack, Sam Reid, Gary Rohan
FOL: Kurt Tippett, Josh P. Kennedy, Dan Hannebery
I/C: Aliir Aliir, Nic Newman, Jarrad McVeigh, Dean Towers

B: Smith Grundy Rampe
HB: Lloyd Melican Aliir
C: Hannebery Kennedy Mills
HF: Rohan Franklin Hewett
F: Papley Reid Hayward
Fol: Tippett Parker Heeney
Int: Jones McVeigh Towers Newman

Enough is enough, it’s time for Heeney and Mills to become full time midfielders, we desperately need that touch of class and to take the load off of JPK, Parker, Hannebery etc.

Aliir needs to sort himself out and bang down the door for Round 1...we are much better side with him jn
Ideally younger guys like Dawson and Florent have huge pre-seasons and force their way in

Remove this Banner Ad

Back