Swans best 22 in 2018?

Remove this Banner Ad

I can't believe there is any discussion about Newman not being a lock for a starting place in the team. After his first 20 games his avsrage stats are incredible.
Meters gained - 394
Disposals - 20.3
Contested possessions - 6.2
Disposal efficiency -70.1%
Goals per game - 0.4
Score involvements - 4.7
Marks - 4.8
Tackles - 3.8
Intercept possessions -4.9

As comparison:
Callum Mills, I realise that he is younger and has been in the system less time than Newman, but he's a genuine gun. Comparing their respective first 20 games stats Newman has been the better player by a fair margin.

Nick Malceski's:
I don't have access to ALL of Nick Malceski's stats, but as a comparison (I certainly have hopes Newman can be a player in a similar style) what I can find it looks like it wasn't until his 5th season in the AFL (albeit 2004 being ruined by injury) and 3rd year in the senior team before he had anything like the numbers that Newman managed last year.

Disclaimer: I am aware that stats don't tell the whole story, but they sure can give a hint.

By the last 5 or so rounds + finals I never wanted Newman to have the ball in the defensive half of the ground. If he did get it I would just automatically assume it was going to be a turnover, or a grassed kick to a forward.

That's just me, but it's telling for why I don't think he is a best 22 regular at all.

With a fully fit list

B: Melican - Grundy - Smith
HB: Mills - Rampe - Aliir
C: Hannebery - Kennedy - Lloyd
HF: Papley - Reid - Hayward
F: Rohan - Franklin - Towers
R: Naismith - Parker - Heeney
INT: Jack - McVeigh - Hewett - Jones

Immediate depth:
Newman
Sinclair
Marsh
Dawson
Florent

With a fully fit list

Immediate depth:
Newman
Sinclair
Marsh
Dawson
Florent
I really like this list, but I wonder about the Naismith and Aliir inclusions.

I still think that Sinclair gives us more than Naismith all over the ground, and Newman was sensational prior to injury, whereas Aliir was good at the end of 2016 but not good enough to oust Newman when he returned from injury but wasn't playing at this best.

They would be my two changes.

I really like this list, but I wonder about the Naismith and Aliir inclusions.

I still think that Sinclair gives us more than Naismith all over the ground, and Newman was sensational prior to injury, whereas Aliir was good at the end of 2016 but not good enough to oust Newman when he returned from injury but wasn't playing at this best.

They would be my two changes.
I have to agree. Sinkers showed real grit in the JLT until going down like a big girl's blouse (see Darren Cresswell for how to deal with pain). He looked to be trying to replicate the patches of very good form he showed last year and I'd like to see him get the chance. Aliir showed that he still has the dash and flair but he also lacks discipline. The blood gets up and he's gone, worse than Jones. Don't get me wrong. I love seeing him do his thing but in the back 50 that thing can be a liability.

I have no issues with Newman. Great solid defender. We seem to have a good few of them in development, which is good as we'll probably see 3 of our best retiring over the next few years (in Smith, Grundy and Macca).

I am leaning towards Naismith now because Sinclair simply gets beaten in the ruck every time. Also he gives away high frees in the ruck all the time which is odd.

May as well just go with Towers if not Naismith.

I am leaning towards Naismith now because Sinclair simply gets beaten in the ruck every time. Also he gives away high frees in the ruck all the time which is odd.

May as well just go with Towers if not Naismith.
I have a soft spot for Towers, and I really like the idea that he realises his dream late, puts in the effort and has an all out crack.... and makes it! :rainbow::D I'm really hoping he continues to improve. If he continues to improve at the same rate as he has been going, he may well eclipse them both!

Towers efforts are 2nd to none , always gives his best

Gets bashed to much imo

Seriously no need for a 2nd ruck with him on the team.

Much rather another runner and let’s be honest he gives away less free kicks in the ruck and has a 2nd effort which most rucks don’t and can’t

Towers efforts are 2nd to none , always gives his best

Gets bashed to much imo

Seriously no need for a 2nd ruck with him on the team.

Much rather another runner and let’s be honest he gives away less free kicks in the ruck and has a 2nd effort which most rucks don’t and can’t
It's really bizarre, Towers disposal count has gone down, his clangers are the same as well as both his goal assistance and clearances but he just seems to generate more than he did prior. Towers provides drive which can't be measured in stats. I'd be curious to see his "pressure acts" stats as that is his real saving grace

It's really bizarre, Towers disposal count has gone down, his clangers are the same as well as both his goal assistance and clearances but he just seems to generate more than he did prior. Towers provides drive which can't be measured in stats. I'd be curious to see his "pressure acts" stats as that is his real saving grace

maybe it's when he commits the clangers that has changed the most... which is why his game seems so much more impactful (pretty sure that's not a word but you know what I mean :rolleyes:)

I used to say this a bit about Sam Reid. There are these little (big) efforts that really impact upon a match but aren't recorded in stats. Little knocks to advantage or touches on the ball that intercept what might have been an easy run out of defence for the opposition. It's similar with Towers. His efforts impact upon the contest in unexpected ways that catch opposition off guard. But he's also very reliable in with his workrate in getting to defensive positions.

With a fully fit list

Immediate depth:
Newman
Sinclair
Marsh
Dawson
Florent
Good team. I'd switch Melican (to CHB) and Rampe positions. Sinclair in for Rohan, who is running out of chances.
Aliir needs to put it together, or Newman/Marsh displace him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With a fully fit list

Immediate depth:
Newman
Sinclair
Marsh
Dawson
Florent
That's a very fair team (ignoring positional differences) and I think it illustrates the challenges that the match committee will have if/when all players are fit.
Do you play Newman or Aliir? They offer different things, both potentially valuable.
Do you play a third tall in attack? Sinclair, Cameron or do you take a punt on McCartin? If so, who drops out? Rohan or one of the dynamite duo, or Towers?
Could Florent push past Papley and Hayward?
Can Fox or Stoddart push past Smithy?
Do you need to manage Kizz and Macca?
We have blooded (pun intended) 13 debutants in the last 2 seasons. It has stood us in pretty good stead.
I actually think it's harder this year as our best 22 is probably a best 27 or thereabouts.

I used to say this a bit about Sam Reid. There are these little (big) efforts that really impact upon a match but aren't recorded in stats. Little knocks to advantage or touches on the ball that intercept what might have been an easy run out of defence for the opposition. It's similar with Towers. His efforts impact upon the contest in unexpected ways that catch opposition off guard. But he's also very reliable in with his workrate in getting to defensive positions.
The handball from Reid to Papley in JLT1 was a work of art. Saw him coming and judged it to perfection, nice and loopy and landed in his lap. Too often we just count disposals and "effectiveness" as hitting the target, but not whether the disposal improved the team situation and opened things up for us. Aliir did a 30m+ handpass in 2016 that totally broke the lines and led to a goal. I just love stuff like that. Reckon the coaches might too.

Doomsday scenario

Sinclair, Naismith both injured at the same time and unavailable.

Ruck stocks
Cameron, Aliir (??) , Towers, Reid

What do you do?

Most likely (imo)
Go #1 Reid and Towers Chopping out

Doomsday scenario

Sinclair, Naismith both injured at the same time and unavailable.

Ruck stocks
Cameron, Aliir (??) , Towers, Reid

What do you do?

Most likely (imo)
Go #1 Reid and Towers Chopping out
Naismith as #1 ruck is already a doomsday scenario, your scenario is apocalyptic

Nah they'd run with Cameron. Reid would never be first ruck. He'd be behind Towers.

I know it was only JLT but I am not sure Cameron is ready to play yet. We can't have a ruckman who doesn't seen to win a lot of hitouts or get much of the ball around the ground playing. It would be better to just concede we are going to lose the actual tap, stick another midfielder in the centre and have all our midfielders rove to the oppositions ruckman.

Cameron didn't look physically capable of playing first ruck as it stands. He went to ground a lot and got pushed out of the contest a lot. I'd want him playing multiple full games in the NEAFL as first ruck before he goes anywhere near the senior side.

Cameron didn't look physically capable of playing first ruck as it stands. He went to ground a lot and got pushed out of the contest a lot. I'd want him playing multiple full games in the NEAFL as first ruck before he goes anywhere near the senior side.
To be fair neither does Sinclair.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back