Swans best 22 in 2018?

Remove this Banner Ad

This is a valid point. That being said I could justify reasoning Tiges, Cats even the Dons and a fully fit Hawks finishing with a double chance this year. It's all too early in the season for that.
Hawks, Dons - unlikely. Cats yes. Tigers - hmmmm....

I have a feeling that as Aliir's season goes, so will the Swans.

If he has breakout year, we will be top 4. He answers so many team selection quandaries

This is a valid point. That being said I could justify reasoning Tiges, Cats even the Dons and a fully fit Hawks finishing with a double chance this year. It's all too early in the season for that.

Hawthorn should have been top eight last year with the talent on their list. Everyone made out like Clarkson was battling with the most hard-done-by AFL list ever given to a coach. He still had Hodge and Burgoyne, who, while ageing, would still be best 22 at any club in the comp. Roughead who played 22 games last year. Mitchell who led the AFL for disposals. Quality youngsters like Burton and Sicily (yuck) and O'Brien. Blokes like Gunston and Bruest and Puopolo who are all stars from their premiership sides. That's a pretty quality group of players, better than some of the sides that actually reached the finals, and somehow Clarkson was hailed as a genius last year for getting Hawthorn to... 12th?

Now they're probably going to bounce back in the eight this year and they'll say what a marvellous job he did getting them from 12th to the finals.

They're a serious threat for the flag this year IMO. Clarkson's a great coach, best of the last 30 years or so but it's laughable how over-rated he is

If he has breakout year, we will be top 4. He answers so many team selection quandaries

We've been top 4 without Aliir in the last few years.

This doesn't make much sense to me. We won 15 of 17 games last year without Aliir. I rate him very highly and he's a bloody good defender IMO but I feel we often lose our perspective on him. He's 23, and has only played 16 games. He is the most highly-scrutinised 16-gamer I can recall. He makes one error in the first quarter of a JLT game, and he hasn't learnt anything from the previous year. He still exhibits some traits of being rough around the edges, so therefore he's at risk of not playing senior footy for us again. Now our hopes for this year hinge upon how well he performs. I want him in the side more than anyone but I'm not anticipating him to be All Australian level for some time, and I'm certainly not going to lose my mind if he continues making a few raw mistakes in games.

Assuming Hanners and McVeigh are out for round one, would go with this against the Eagles:

Smith Grundy Rampe
Mills Melican Lloyd
Jones Heeney Rohan
Towers Reid Jack
Papley Buddy Hayward
Sinclair Parker Kennedy
Aliir Florent Fox Hewett

Would love to see both Rohan and Jones play more level with the ball to provide some zip on the outside.

Aliir and Towers to provide backup ruck minutes and follow the play around.

Fox comes out for Hanners when he returns. Not sure if McVeigh makes my 22 when he is back. Like the extra pace that players like Hayward, Florent, Fox provide.

Next few in line as depth would be McVeigh, Newman, Cunningham, Marsh.

As the season progresses hopefully a few of the younger guys like Dawson, O'Riordan, Maibaum, Stoddart, Ling, Cameron and McCartin show enough to be considered.

Last edited:
Assuming Hanners and McVeigh are out for round one, would go with this against the Eagles:

Smith Grundy Rampe
Mills Melican Lloyd
Jones Heeney Rohan
Towers Reid Jack
Papley Buddy Hayward
Sinclair Parker Kennedy
Aliir Florent Fox Hewett

Would love to see both Rohan and Jones play more level with the ball to provide some zip on the outside.

Fox comes out for Hanners when he returns. Not sure if McVeigh makes my 22 when he is back. Like the extra pace that players like Hayward, Florent, Fox provide.

As the season progresses hopefully a few of the younger guys like Dawson, O'Riordan, Maibaum, Stoddart, Ling, Cameron and McCartin show enough to be considered.

I very much agree with your assessment but it's a certainty that Newman and Cunningham will be selected. They were our two leading possession getters in the last JLT game. But yeah I think a little change is needed and Aliir, Florent and Fox would bring that.

I very much agree with your assessment but it's a certainty that Newman and Cunningham will be selected. They were our two leading possession getters in the last JLT game. But yeah I think a little change is needed and Aliir, Florent and Fox would bring that.

Yep, for sure I'd have Newman, Cunningham in that last handful of players along with Florent, Fox, Hayward vying for a spot each week if/when (fingers crossed) there's a full list to choose from. Pretty much a line-ball call between those few players, for me at least.

And I'm sure, at least for the short term, McVeigh will be selected when he returns from injury. Righfully so, has earned it. But can maybe sense a Ryan O'Keefe final season coming up with others overtaking him.

Last edited:
I think we need to be mindful of not going all guns blazing with team changes however likewise, I think flexibility week to week is important & while our utilities are the key I'd also like to see some key position flexibility too.

So while someone like Reid, Towers or Gazza (utilities really) can be up fwd or ruck one week then set up defensively the next to keep our opponents on their toes... The same can be said of the Buddys, Jacks & Hewys (more key position players).

Players that are able to be that adaptable will be gold going forward. Aliir fits this type of player mould I think so I hope to see him get a crack.

Smith Grundy Rampe
Mills Melican Lloyd
Jones Heeney Rohan
Towers Reid Jack
Papley Buddy Hayward
Sinclair Parker Kennedy
Aliir Florent Fox Hewett

:thumbsu: from me :)

We usually trial several rookies and have at least one that plays 15+ games for us.

Who will be that player this year? Or does AA returning possibly fit that bill?

We usually trial several rookies and have at least one that plays 15+ games for us.

Who will be that player this year? Or does AA returning possibly fit that bill?

That could be Fox. I don't think any other players who are new would impress enough to slot into the side and play 15+. Aliir doesn't fit that description because I think it's well established that his best footy is easily best 22 so it wouldn't be a real shock

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That could be Fox. I don't think any other players who are new would impress enough to slot into the side and play 15+. Aliir doesn't fit that description because I think it's well established that his best footy is easily best 22 so it wouldn't be a real shock
I think Fox and possibly Jordan Dawson who has played only 1 game, but no news on any injuries, Darcy Cameron may get 10+ game as our #2 ruck.
At time of draft I thought Ling might be the rookie who could play 5+ games but ditto re injuries.
McCartin is all the news for a rookie to make his debut, but unlikely to be 15+

I think Fox and possibly Jordan Dawson who has played only 1 game, but no news on any injuries, Darcy Cameron may get 10+ game as our #2 ruck.
At time of draft I thought Ling might be the rookie who could play 5+ games but ditto re injuries.
McCartin is all the news for a rookie to make his debut, but unlikely to be 15+

Yeah somehow I don’t think we’ll be seeing as much of an impact from the kids this year as in seasons past. Because we’ve been unearthing so many gems since about 2014-2015 (Lloyd, Jones, Heeney, Mills, Hewett, Papley, Aliir, Hayward, Florent, Melican etc) I think we’re in the time where they are now planting their feet in the best 22 and becoming locks (most of them anyway.) So it leaves very little room for any more kids to come in and weasel their way into the 22 like Melican did last year, or Hewett the year before.

and team X (aka the success-starved Victorian club designated the darlings of the media each year)

If we lose to Melbourne, I'll give you your stuff back.

Just saw the preview on afl.com.au and it reminded me why I have so little faith in their reporters

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-03-18/season-preview-sydney

Honestly what does Melican have to do to be taken seriously? He played most of the season, kept Aliir out due to his good form but suddenly he'll be dropped? Also Cameron over Sinclair? The guy who hasn't played a senior game of football over the bloke who has rucked for 70% of our games in the last 2 seasons!?!?! I know he's not the best ruck in the comp but it just shows how little they know about the Swans

Just saw the preview on afl.com.au and it reminded me why I have so little faith in their reporters

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-03-18/season-preview-sydney

Honestly what does Melican have to do to be taken seriously? He played most of the season, kept Aliir out due to his good form but suddenly he'll be dropped? Also Cameron over Sinclair? The guy who hasn't played a senior game of football over the bloke who has rucked for 70% of our games in the last 2 seasons!?!?! I know he's not the best ruck in the comp but it just shows how little they know about the Swans

Curley has been our team reporter on the AFL website for I reckon about 5 years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back