Game Day Swans board draft night live discussion

Which of our draftees will play the most senior games for us?

• Oliver Florent

• Will Hayward

• Darcy Cameron

• Jack Maibaum

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just read on Twitter that we'll be taking 4 in the rookie draft and a Cat B as well, wonder who that could be?

I can tell you that we are one of the clubs that spoke to Harrison Burt. Just heard Ryan O'Conner, talent manager at Sandringham Dragons, on SEN mention him as one player he was surprised wasn't picked up.
Rookie him to our club.

Longmire wasnt afraid of playing the kids this year Florent and Hayward just might be in the team come round 1 assuming NAB form.
Doubt you'll see both. Florent will need to play up forward a fair bit early, as Horse has done with Hewett. Hayward is a genuine forward. Paps is a shoo-in unless he implodes or gets injured. Mills might also rotate midfield/forward. Too many to fit in one team.

Rather Sympkin over Florent and not keen on Cameron, would have been happy taking some with great kicking or speed there. Instead of taking Will Minson as a DFA, we used a pick on a 2013 draft overlooked ruck.
You don't want Minson at the Swans. Full stop. You never know what the coaches might be able to get out of Cameron. Reckon they all look good on the character front which is important at this club.

Why on earth would you say that a club who made bids on academy players are "parasites"?

It's Norf, it's a factual statement, just look at their recent history.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Right... so I've had some time to think about it now. I'm reasonably comfortable with the draft but don't feel like we nailed it.

Although I rate both Florent and Hayward I'm not 100% sold that Simpkin and Witherden wouldn't have suited us better. I know they're both coming off broken legs but they have traits we're missing. I'm not even sure I'm complaining to be honest, I do rate Florent and Hayward.

As for the next couple of picks I can see the logic but I would have liked us to pick speed and x-factor with one of them. As a tall I would have gone Himmelberg but I see the logic with Maiburn as a genuine defender. Darcy Cameron... that was an interesting pick. I was a little shocked we went that early for him as I expected him to be available in the rookie draft. The last time I felt that way about a pick was Aliir Aliir... and that turned out alright so I'm going to back Beatson

Rumours are we'll take 4 in the rookie draft. We must go speed and kicking skills, it's now our only deficiency in my book

Last edited:
Emma Quayle is a bloody gun.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...bbyclub-guide-part-three-20161119-gst83m.html

"Jy Simpkin and Oliver Florent are two who should be around the mark; both hit the ball hard, create ways to goal and look like they will be able to play a part in both the forward line and midfield over time.They fit both bills. Will Hayward could be another possibility, and despite the emergence this year of Aliir Aliir Sydney could also look at bringing in another developing tall defender."

Written 4 days ago. Nailed it.

Florent is a real talent who just got better and better as the year progressed. BOG in the All Stars match which is very good endorsement. Think there will be a few on here embarrassed in a couple of years time about their negativity. His interview on the Swans website shows rock solid character, this is a good selection.

Nice connections to the Swans for our top two selections, JPK was Florent's babysitter and Josh Francou was Hayward's year 4 teacher :)

As long as we took a player that would help our needs at 9, happy days. One of Florent, Simpkin or Brodie was perfect. Drafted Florent, good choice.

Can't believe we got Hayward at 20. We had to take him despite Witherden being available. Hayward I feel could be something really special. Nat Fyfe was pick 20 lol

Happy with the draft, addressed our main needs (speed and ball use) with the first two picks and other needs with the others. 4 rucks will play in a season so no use waiting to rookie if u like one so I understand the Cameron selection

Florent is a real talent who just got better and better as the year progressed. BOG in the All Stars match which is very good endorsement. Think there will be a few on here embarrassed in a couple of years time about their negativity. His interview on the Swans website shows rock solid character, this is a good selection.

Nice connections to the Swans for our top two selections, JPK was Florent's babysitter and Josh Francou was Hayward's year 4 teacher :)

Sydney is a big move for him but I think he's got the character to make it work. Really liked his interview, looks a good character. Both he and Hayward seem genuinely pleased to be at the Swans

Looks like one decent tackle would kill him. I cant see his frame making a senior appearance for quite a while unfortunately.
But that's why we picked him. To develop him the proper way so is will be ready for senior footy both physically & mentally.

It's a tried & proven method at our club which works better than the Richmond/Tambling, Melbourne/Jack Watts method where the 'young gun' recruit is unfairly expected to be the saviour of a club.

I believe it would be a very big reason why he & the family are happy to be at the Swans.
The Swans would never play him until he is ready. Having said that. There wasn't much of Jetta either when we recruited him so he could be asked to play as a pure outside player & be given a game based on his outside smarts.

To deal with the stuff florent has the last few years and still made it to wear he is out shines any of the draftees in my eyes. There was an article I read on him last night where he said after his father passed it was the release he needed to concentrate on playing footy and look how he performed in his last few games.

I'm confident in him. All it takes is the club to give him a few days here and there to see mum and bro and fly them up to Sydney. Wouldn't be surprised if that's what Longmires lunch was with them last week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back