Autopsy Swans defeat Hawks

Remove this Banner Ad

Clarko is the modern day Kevin Sheedy. Could say anything at a presser and the mob will follow.
For instance, not much talk of where we were at until Clarko said we were a middle of the road side. Then the media all got on board.

Not really dude. Do you not remember this place when the media had their predictions? Hardly any had us in the eight. Some even had us bottom four dude. The place went into meltdown.

Gee this is morbid reading. I’m just gonna leave some bullet points, can’t be bothered with a long one.

- Being at the bottom of your rebuild curve and still largely competitive is pretty remarkable really

- Even though we lost we gave our all against Essendon and there were sore bodies out there tonight

- Clarko has shown twice through his rebuilds that when we’re not in contention he sacrifices wins for long term development

- Yes there are older players at the end that probably shouldn’t play on form, but he does this so they can teach and maintain the systems that people criticise so much when we’re rebuilding, but laud when we’re winning three peats or beating unbeatable Geelongs aka 2008

- The criticism of our recruits is dumb as well. When he’s another year or so into the rebuild and these guys actually have a team around them and not carrying such a load they will be the stars they are.

- Be patient we have the best coach of all time and he will find the way to get us another flag before he goes. If you just believe that and you should or your mad, you can see things in a different light and get more out of these early days into the journey

I’ll bump this in three years, no doubt get a few of the guns on here shoot me a like (thanks in advance) and the rest of you negative nancy’s skim over it, but trust me we will come hard again soon.
You make way too much sense mate and are not fit for this forum

Gee this is morbid reading. I’m just gonna leave some bullet points, can’t be bothered with a long one.

- Being at the bottom of your rebuild curve and still largely competitive is pretty remarkable really

- Even though we lost we gave our all against Essendon and there were sore bodies out there tonight

- Clarko has shown twice through his rebuilds that when we’re not in contention he sacrifices wins for long term development

- Yes there are older players at the end that probably shouldn’t play on form, but he does this so they can teach and maintain the systems that people criticise so much when we’re rebuilding, but laud when we’re winning three peats or beating unbeatable Geelongs aka 2008

- The criticism of our recruits is dumb as well. When he’s another year or so into the rebuild and these guys actually have a team around them and not carrying such a load they will be the stars they are.

- Be patient we have the best coach of all time and he will find the way to get us another flag before he goes. If you just believe that and you should or your mad, you can see things in a different light and get more out of these early days into the journey

I’ll bump this in three years, no doubt get a few of the guns on here shoot me a like (thanks in advance) and the rest of you negative nancy’s skim over it, but trust me we will come hard again soon.
👌

1932C9A9-D440-4377-B058-1A04F0D04624.gif

Can't add anything more than what's already been said. Just a quick comment. Forget trading Breust & Gunston whoever raised this. If Breust is playing injured put him on ice for the rest of the season and slot a kid into there. We get to see if the kids gonna make it and Breust gets an extended recovery time to be 100% revitalised by preseason 2020. As someone else said just play Gunston from the square. He's a 50+ goal lead up forward every day of the year. We're burning him out with all this upfield role s**t. Still is our number 1 goto man, play Lewis beside him for the rest of the year.

Im actually coming down for the Geelong game in about a months time, I shudder how drunk i'll need to get to get through that....scaryily bad drunk !

Yay I don’t have to post anything. Can just requote this post when necessary because it is exactly what I think

Oh s**t I just posted something

Short attention span is the issue for most

I have written some posts about sending Puopolo back to Box Hill, but i still think he belongs on the list. Had a shocker, last night, however the guy plays with more passion than the rest of the forward line put together.

The guy needs to play another season as he would chew nails and spit bullets for the club. Tough as a rock and a bit better spread in the forward line, and faster delivery, would see him come good.

You don't want to de-list too much experience.

I agree with alot of what you say he gives his all for the jumper you cant question he commitment! Which i sometimes find my self doing with some of the Snr players ala Breust,Smith,Gunners.
The thing about Poppy he heavily relies on his speed and his attack on the contest. He has lost a bit of turn of foot which is noticable this year, Last week hooker looked back at him and took off, Thru out the season he has been caught and it happened again in the swans game.
I don't see him keeping the younger pups out of the team to much longer, he has been a great servant but its time to blood these guys Hanrahan,Walker etc see what they have. Moore is already doing a solid lil cameo role as a small fwd and will continue to get games. Minchington has been injured all year.

With the leadership
its simple we need to bring in a few leaders out of the half a dozen recruits, that's why i put conigs ahead of whitfield anyway that's a hypothetical.
I think we have plenty of leaders we just don't have them in the right spots! McEvoy,Omeara,Mitchell are leaders Hardwick&Worpel are already showing great examples as on field leaders i think both could be fast tracked next season in a small leadership role. I'm even very impressed with Impey season i could see him joining them.

Last edited:
The only thing uglier than watching our footy at the moment is reading some of the dribble on here from "supporters" jumping off the bandwagon quicker than you can say "Clarko's a freakin genius and knows what he's doing".

Surely these same posters have read Topiary's posts saying the club is aware we need to bring in 12-14 players over the next 2-3 years to be challenging again?

Are people aware that if we drop all the senior players, the system breaks down and the last 2 weeks are 10 goal losses instead of 3? Carlton and Melbourne have taken that approach for years with nothing but a bunch of unrealised talent to show for it. Kids learn from playing with guys who can show them the ropes. Kids learn from being in the game for long periods of time. When you get smacked each week, all they learn is a losing culture.

Clarko has a better football brain than everyone on this forum. It's time to trust what's he's doing. It's amazing to think that some on here genuinely think they know better than a 4-time premiership coach.
I wonder if anyone being all doom and gloom was around 2005 - 2007? Were some crap games in that lot. Clarkos win loss record was woeful during this period. Buckle up for this again and a bright future, hopefully. 😁

I think this game needs a little more review or we don't care much anymore.

McEvoy has not been fit for two games that is obvious, McEvoy was putrid for the second week in a row, but I do not believe he was fit enough to play. I don't hold that against McEvoy. We were obviously throwing to the fences as a last gasp can we make finals situation. And Clarko's a bit like that.... always has been. That is in some ways why we love him.

But we need to understand where we are at and where it is now better to be by season's end... for example if Carlton can win another game or two we could have first pick in free agency. Probably doubtful, but never the less there is no chance a coach in AFL could have got us to 4th last year rather than Clarko. Not Norm Smith, Not JK Snr not Allan Jeans. We were the worst on paper side ever to win enough games to make 4th. But we got there.

The question is what do we need to do now that we have truly bottomed out to reverse that. Or more the question is if we'd bottomed out last year would we have done better rectifying that? Personally I don't think so. PA might have got a lower pick for Chad but basically the same deal would have gone through.

So where do we go from here? Play kids or future, Get Roughie his home farewell late in the season, suffer everything else. Does that work? Dunno, but I'm willing to watch Clarko try and make it work... he's done it once who's to say he can't do it again.

But we do need to move on, for example I love Burgoyne but since he's been back from injury, he's looked closer to 50 than 40. We do need to make a decision on all this year, and I don't have an issue with Burgs staying on as he is only an example much like BB was up above... and tbh I'd keep both before our captain next year, have no issue saying that, he's lost a yard and is non competitive the whole year when fit they were at least that.

So as REM would say, It's the end of the world as I know... and I feel fine. Clarko will turn us around eventually.

I wonder if anyone being all doom and gloom was around 2005 - 2007? Were some crap games in that lot. Clarkos win loss record was woeful during this period. Buckle up for this again and a bright future, hopefully. 😁

Port in 2005 - I was rabid with the way we performed that night. Have never minded losing but that game incensed me because of what appeared to be a complete lack of care for the game - much how it appears now but as history shows - assuming makes an ass

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I haven't read through this thread so sorry if it has already been mentioned but I found it strange that it was TOB that was moved forward in the last quarter. Yes, we needed to make a move but TOB was doing a good job in defence.

With Franklin and Sinclair off there was really only a need for one of Brand or Frawley in defence. Brand was a liability so moving him forward was another option. TOB is more mobile and could have gone to Blakey.

Can anyone with insider knowledge shed some light on why we've never tried Brand forward. He was drafted as a forward and has just not come on as a backman.

I haven't read through this thread so sorry if it has already been mentioned but I found it strange that it was TOB that was moved forward in the last quarter. Yes, we needed to make a move but TOB was doing a good job in defence.

With Franklin and Sinclair off there was really only a need for one of Brand or Frawley in defence. Brand was a liability so moving him forward was another option. TOB is more mobile and could have gone to Blakey.

Can anyone with insider knowledge shed some light on why we've never tried Brand forward. He was drafted as a forward and has just not come on as a backman.
Some have suggested we left Brand in defence as we want to get a good look at him there, given that he's out of contract at year's end & a decision will have to be made (hopefully we'll be bringing in new KPD).

IMO, we should move him forward in the hope that he snags a couple & we can convince an opposition club that he's worth a 3rd Rounder.

Some have suggested we left Brand in defence as we want to get a good look at him there, given that he's out of contract at year's end & a decision will have to be made (hopefully we'll be bringing in new KPD).

IMO, we should move him forward in the hope that he snags a couple & we can convince an opposition club that he's worth a 3rd Rounder.
What's a 3rd rounder going to do for us, outside of sweetening a deal for a bigger FA?

Our season has gone off the rails since McEvoy got injured. Hasn't been able to have his usual influence, I wonder if we rushed him back a little.

Also wanna stick up for Sicily who is being hung out to dry by the media. He had a poor game playing forward... he's now played about 4 quarters in total for the year in that position. Patience is needed, especially from the coaches who I feel need to leave him there if he's going to build some form.

What's a 3rd rounder going to do for us, outside of sweetening a deal for a bigger FA?
You add it to another 3rd Rounder (that we already have) in amassing points to get Finn Maginness as a F/S Pick, whilst keeping our 2nd for Trade; instead of using our 2nd to get Maginness which is likely what we’ll have to do otherwise.

5 games this season doesn't lend itself to this view. It looks like the club have decided that's where we need him to play and he'll only get a game if there is a suitable match up.

I feel Brand is in the same situation that TOB was in last season. The club just needs to bite the bullet and use the rest of the season to trial different things. We won't get a good read on how well switching Sic and TOB fwd / back until we fix the delivery into the fwd 50. We get it in there often enough to kick a winning score but the 30-40% efficiency inside 50 is killing us. If we continue to just hack it forward / bomb it long it makes sense to have someone tall (not Poppy) able to take a mark or bring it to ground. Ceglar is slow and not mobile enough. Big Boy looks like he's playing injured.

At the same time, we need to address the last kick inside fwd 50 because that's what is causing the low efficiency. I feel we have moved away from drafting players with elite kicking skills and ability to execute under pressure / fatigue. And I find it strange that it's these players who are taking the last kick inside 50 - whether that's by design or because the opposition knows this and is letting them.

Commiserations on the loss.

Here are the midfield frequency stats from the game. If you haven't seen a previous post, this is an overall summary of how often your players were lining up as one of the 5 mids.

Overall Summary - 24 Bounces

O'Meara 23
Shiels 19
Worpel 19 (1w)
Scully 18 wing
Smith 17 (16w, 1i)
Henderson 11 (7w, 4i)
Morrison 7 wing
Puopolo 2
Roughead 2
Burgoyne 2

Rucks:
McEvoy 17
Ceglar 7

Centre Clearances (per Champion Data/AFL.com.au

O'Meara 3
Worpel 2
Shiels 1
Henderson 1
Scully 1

1st Half - 15

O'Meara 14
Shiels 11
Worpel 11
Scully 10 wing
Smith 10 (9w, 1i)
Henderson 9 (5w, 4i)
Morrison 6 wing
Puopolo 2
Roughead 2

McEvoy 12
Ceglar 3

Final Term - 7

O'Meara 7
Shiels 6
Worpel 6 (1w)
Scully 6 wing
Smith 5 wing
Henderson 2 (1i, 1w)
Burgoyne 2
Morrison 1 wing

McEvoy 4
Ceglar 3

Notes:
- The most inside starts for Henderson in an analysed game (either club). His fewest starts in an analysed game since Rd 23, 2018 - also against Sydney. He had 8 of his 11 starts in Q1 - though things are a little skewed as Q3 only had 2 bounces (and the 2nd came before there'd been any rotations to the starters for that term).
- Most starts for Scully in an analysed game at Hawthorn, and his most overall since the 2017 Semi Final.
- With 4 wings in the side, Morrison received his fewest starts in an analysed game since Rd 2 when he played back.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back