Welcome Swans Fans - Introduce Yourselves Here!

Remove this Banner Ad

Lllllloooyyyddd

Draftee
Dec 8, 2017
AFL Club
Sydney
Hello guys and gals, Sasha here but I decided to go by my (future husband's) last name instead.

Where are you from? Born in rural NSW, lived most of my life in SoCal (thoughts and prayers with everyone going through the bushfires happening there right now). I'm now back in Australia and back in Sydney!

Why did you start supporting the Swans? I had no prior interest in AFL (as a child I wasn't interested in sports, then in LA I became a massive NBA follower). Then one day about 2010, I'm sitting in a bar near in the heart of LA and a Swans game randomly appeared on the TV. It was a total coincidence but it made me wonder why I didn't keep in touch with my nation's main sport. So I started finding Youtube clips and ta-da! The Swans caught my eye and it's the best decision I've ever made.

How long have you been supporting the Swans? Distantly, since 2010-2011. Avidly, since 2012.

Favourite players (current)? It's hard to go past Buddy, but my heart yearns for Jake lloyd.

Favourite players (all time)? Adam Goodes! Love everything he stands for and his stance even made it to the states and made me very proud to be an Australian.

Favourite Swans memories? The 2012 grand final :D

Where were you for the 2005 GF? Blissfully unaware that this club even existed with no idea that they would occupy more of my heart than any man ever has.

Favourite piece of Swans memorabilia that you own? A scarf signed by Buddy

Can't wait for next year! I have a feeling it just may be the year of the Swan :rainbow:

Hello guys and gals, Sasha here but I decided to go by my (future husband's) last name instead.

Where are you from? Born in rural NSW, lived most of my life in SoCal (thoughts and prayers with everyone going through the bushfires happening there right now). I'm now back in Australia and back in Sydney!

Why did you start supporting the Swans? I had no prior interest in AFL (as a child I wasn't interested in sports, then in LA I became a massive NBA follower). Then one day about 2010, I'm sitting in a bar near in the heart of LA and a Swans game randomly appeared on the TV. It was a total coincidence but it made me wonder why I didn't keep in touch with my nation's main sport. So I started finding Youtube clips and ta-da! The Swans caught my eye and it's the best decision I've ever made.

How long have you been supporting the Swans? Distantly, since 2010-2011. Avidly, since 2012.

Favourite players (current)? It's hard to go past Buddy, but my heart yearns for Jake lloyd.

Favourite players (all time)? Adam Goodes! Love everything he stands for and his stance even made it to the states and made me very proud to be an Australian.

Where were you for the 2005 GF? Blissfully unaware that this club even existed with no idea that they would occupy more of my heart than any man ever has.

Can't wait for next year! I have a feeling it just may be the year of the Swan :rainbow:
Welcome! :thumbsu:

LA huh? Do you go for the greatest NBA team in the history of the game or the Clippers? :p

Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance

Welcome! As leader of the defenders appreciation squad I applaud your exemplary good taste. :thumbsu:

Let’s hope Jake signs this year or that user name could be in for a quick update.:eek:

Oct 29, 2007
Lake Oval
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
SMFC. PMFC,OAFC
The fact that I've had to block and mute other Swans supporters for regularly attacking my posts or blog, or generally being nuisances and having a go at me in pm is reason enough. The only thing that kept me here was posting articles from my blog. Discussion was hardly worth it, with everyone doing their very best to always look superior than everyone else, and openly attacking them when they disagreed.

Anyone that wants to remain in contact hit me up on pm I'll give you my details, otherwise you can find me on social media.

Given the Swans community on BigFooty is small, I expected more from some posters, at least respect for one another, but sometimes that's asking far beyond what they're willing to give.

I don't have the time anymore to engage in a lot of topics.
It's the same for everyone champ, believe me. I have a page which I try and put as much Swans stuff, past and present, but can't advertise it. That's why I might have been harsh. My fav former mod gave me a holiday once for mentioning another swans site, so you did well to get as far as you did. Good luck.

Welcome! I'm hopeful next year will be the year of the Swan too!! :)

leaf

Draftee
Jul 5, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Hey all,

So I introduced myself a little while back but made only a couple of posts. I've been supporting the Swans for a while but never felt knowledgeable enough to comment. I think i'll just talk from my own experience of it from now. Hoping this will be a good year with good play.

I was wondering, though, whether are many other western sydney fans of the swans. I'm guessing yes, but sometimes it's not clear (especially when you see the banter about the feral western sydney GWS fans). I'm not throwing shade, btw. Just curious to hear from other Western Sydney Swans mob.

Hey all,

So I introduced myself a little while back but made only a couple of posts. I've been supporting the Swans for a while but never felt knowledgeable enough to comment. I think i'll just talk from my own experience of it from now. Hoping this will be a good year with good play.

I was wondering, though, whether are many other western sydney fans of the swans. I'm guessing yes, but sometimes it's not clear (especially when you see the banter about the feral western sydney GWS fans). I'm not throwing shade, btw. Just curious to hear from other Western Sydney Swans mob.
Welcome! :)

There are plenty of fans from the greater west, and some who support GWS as a secondary team but not that many now that the rivalry has come of age. The problem is that now they beat us sometimes.

PS. None of us know what we are talking about, we just talk!!! Lol! ;)

SBloods01

Draftee
Mar 18, 2018
AFL Club
Sydney
1. Where are you from? I was born in Sydney and currently live in Country Victoria.
2. Why did you start supporting the Swans? The colours and the fact I was born in Sydney.
3. How long have you been supporting the Swans? Since 2008.
4. Favourite players (current)? Buddy Franklin
5. Favourite players (all time)? Leo Barry or Nick Davis
6. Favourite Swans memories? Beating Dons last year by a point.
7. Where were you for the 2005 GF? In kindergarten.
8. Favourite piece of Swans memorabilia that you own? Old jersey I wore at Auskick back in 2008.

1. Where are you from? I was born in Sydney and currently live in Country Victoria.
2. Why did you start supporting the Swans? The colours and the fact I was born in Sydney.
3. How long have you been supporting the Swans? Since 2008.
4. Favourite players (current)? Buddy Franklin
5. Favourite players (all time)? Leo Barry or Nick Davis
6. Favourite Swans memories? Beating Dons last year by a point.
7. Where were you for the 2005 GF? In kindergarten.
8. Favourite piece of Swans memorabilia that you own? Old jersey I wore at Auskick back in 2008.
Welcome! :)

Bludd

Debutant
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
Sydney
Hey guys/girls thought it might be time to make an account after awhile of pilfering others ideas and views off as my own! :drunk:

Where are you from?

Originally from country WA, but now I'm living in the Perth metro.

Why did you start supporting the Swans?

From my dad - the area which he grew up in was one of the recruitment zones of South Fremantle so this was his WAFL team, and his VFL team was South Melbourne (same colours etc).

How long have you been supporting the Swans?

For as long as I can remember but my real firm memories would of been from around '96.

Favourite players (current)?

Heeney or Buddy.

Favourite players (all time)?

Would probably have to go with Maxxy - always tries to mimmick his kicking action as a kid.

Favourite Swans memories?

Outside of the flags I would have to go with the '05 semi v Gee.

Where were you for the 2005 GF?

At my mates GF party - surrounded by eagle fans
Unfortunately I was also there in '06.

Favourite piece of Swans memorabilia that you own?

Probably a scarf that's about 10 years old.

Hey guys/girls thought it might be time to make an account after awhile of pilfering others ideas and views off as my own! :drunk:

Where are you from?

Originally from country WA, but now I'm living in the Perth metro.

Why did you start supporting the Swans?

From my dad - the area which he grew up in was one of the recruitment zones of South Fremantle so this was his WAFL team, and his VFL team was South Melbourne (same colours etc).

How long have you been supporting the Swans?

For as long as I can remember but my real firm memories would of been from around '96.

Favourite players (current)?

Heeney or Buddy.

Favourite players (all time)?

Would probably have to go with Maxxy - always tries to mimmick his kicking action as a kid.

Favourite Swans memories?

Outside of the flags I would have to go with the '05 semi v Gee.

Where were you for the 2005 GF?

At my mates GF party - surrounded by eagle fans
Unfortunately I was also there in '06.

Favourite piece of Swans memorabilia that you own?

Probably a scarf that's about 10 years old.
Welcome!:)

I didn't know where else to post this, so here will do. (I've replaced my real name for obvious reasons).

I'm not much of a self-promoter, but I have to say - "not bad for a Blues supporter". :)

The Swans are very much my second side and I have been a member for so long to support both the club and game in Sydney.

PZ4IgVk.jpg

I didn't know where else to post this, so here will do. (I've replaced my real name for obvious reasons).

I'm not much of a self-promoter, but I have to say - "not bad for a Blues supporter". :)

The Swans are very much my second side and I have been a member for so long to support both the club and game in Sydney.

PZ4IgVk.jpg
Congratulations!
:thumbsu: That's a brilliant achievement particularly for your second team. :clapping:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jul 5, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Kidding, right?

PZ4IgVk.jpg
Always enjoy your input mate. Sorry about the Blues’ blues.

ipsyd

Draftee
Mar 26, 2007
Seattle, USA
AFL Club
Sydney
1. Where are you from? Originally Adelaide (was a Port fan in the SANFL as a kid).
2. Why did you start supporting the Swans? Moved to Sydney in 1980, and got on board with the Swans when they arrived in 1983.
3. How long have you been supporting the Swans? Er, let's see: 2018-1983=35 years more or less...
4. Favourite players (current)? Buddy, Rampe, Heeney, Papley, Ronke (why not? looks to have the goods even after 4 games), Sinclair, Grundy, Reid.
5. Favourite players (all time)? Kelly, Goodes, Bolton, Plugger, Barry Hall, Dunkley at full back, O'Loughlin, but above all Brett Kirk. What a legend!
6. Favourite Swans memories? Was at the SCG for the "Davis Come to Save Us" final (but unfortunately at the wrong end for all the last quarter stuff). Of course the GF wins, and with that, the revival of the "Bloods" name. But also the players' on-field demonstration of support for Roos as coach instead of Wallace (who had been lined up for the job by management, to replace Rocket), and the fact that said management eventually had the good sense to listen to the players and the fans - hence 2005 GF. And speaking of Roos, how about the "ROOOOOOS!!!" call from the fans whenever the ball came near him during his playing years?

But here's one out of left field - I married an American woman 7 years ago, someone who had no interest in any sports whatsoever. Was a second marriage, later in life, for both of us, and I moved to the US after we married. Since then I've been paying through the nose (US$180/year) to stream games to my laptop (live and replay). She (Pam) started looking over my shoulder, and asking questions, and lo and behold has blossomed into a full-fledged one-eyed Swans fan, and pretty knowledgable too. So watching games on my laptop with her is a hoot - we both yell "BALLLL!!" at the same instant. Her faves? Buddy, Heeney, Papley are "her boys". She doesn't get to Australia very often (comes down to visit my mum/bro/sisters every 2-3 years), but she's going to be at only her second live game at the SCG next week. Should be a ton o' fun - pity it's only against the Blues...

Last edited:

Tuco

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts SuperCoach Club Board Winner
Sep 28, 2005
Between ANZ & the SCG
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Bloods
1. Where are you from? Originally Adelaide (was a Port fan in the SANFL as a kid).
2. Why did you start supporting the Swans? Moved to Sydney in 1980, and got on board with the Swans when they arrived in 1983.
3. How long have you been supporting the Swans? Er, let's see: 2018-1983=35 years more or less...
4. Favourite players (current)? Buddy, Rampe, Heeney, Papley, Ronke (why not? looks to have the goods even after 4 games), Sinclair, Grundy, Reid.
5. Favourite players (all time)? Kelly, Goodes, Bolton, Plugger, Barry Hall, Dunkley at full back, O'Loughlin, but above all Brett Kirk. What a legend!
6. Favourite Swans memories? Was at the SCG for the "Davis Come to Save Us" final (but unfortunately at the wrong end for all the last quarter stuff). Of course the GF wins, and with that, the revival of the "Bloods" name. But also the players' on-field demonstration of support for Roos as coach instead of Wallace (who had been lined up for the job by management, to replace Rocket), and the fact that said management eventually had the good sense to listen to the players and the fans - hence 2005 GF. And speaking of Roos, how about the "ROOOOOOS!!!" call from the fans whenever the ball came near him during his playing years?

But here's one out of left field - I married an American woman 7 years ago, someone who had no interest in any sports whatsoever. Was a second marriage, later in life, for both of us, and I moved to the US after we married. Since then I've been paying through the nose (US$180/year) to stream games to my laptop (live and replay). She (Pam) started looking over my shoulder, and asking questions, and lo and behold has blossomed into a full-fledged one-eyed Swans fan, and pretty knowledgable too. So watching games on my laptop with her is a hoot - we both yell "BALLLL!!" at the same instant. Her faves? Buddy, Heeney, Papley are "her boys". She doesn't get to Australia very often (comes down to visit my mum/bro/sisters every 2-3 years), but she's going to be at only her second live game at the SCG next week. Should be a ton o' fun - pity it's only against the Blues...

What a great story. Love it!

Hope your wife has a great time.

Well I reckon a good 100 point belting of those pathetic wannabe's is called for then - really get her screaming and clapping!

LiamB03

Draftee
May 28, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
I'm a Saints supporter have been for ten years. Switched from the Swans to them when I moved to Melbourne when I was about 8-9 and thought that supporting a sydney team down in Melbourne would be weird and decided on going for the Saints after seeing them play live, liking their style and cool team colours.

I've always been more of an NRL fan but have found myself loving AFL more and more these past couple of years but I'm so up and down on my club. Sydney is still my second team but I'm feeling more passion towards them than I have for Saints sometimes. So unsure what to do as I'm not sure if it'd regret switching or what, I dunno.

1. Where are you from? Born in Sydney, moved all around Australia for my younger years, even lived overseas for 3 years but have been in Melbourne for the past 12 years.
2. Why did you start supporting the Swans? Originally back in 04 but then changed to Saints 4 years later due to moving to Melbourne and thinking supporting a team where I don't live in their state was weird
3. How long have you been supporting the Swans? On and off
4. Favourite players (current)? Parker, Buddy, Ronke, JPK
5. Favourite players (all time)? Goodes, LRT
6. Favourite Swans memories? Back to Back grand finals against the Eagles
7. Where were you for the 2005 GF? The match that really made me get into AFL more.
8. Favourite piece of Swans memorabilia that you own? Thinking of getting the 2018 indigenous Guernsey.

I'm a Saints supporter have been for ten years. Switched from the Swans to them when I moved to Melbourne when I was about 8-9 and thought that supporting a sydney team down in Melbourne would be weird and decided on going for the Saints after seeing them play live, liking their style and cool team colours.

I've always been more of an NRL fan but have found myself loving AFL more and more these past couple of years but I'm so up and down on my club. Sydney is still my second team but I'm feeling more passion towards them than I have for Saints sometimes. So unsure what to do as I'm not sure if it'd regret switching or what, I dunno.

1. Where are you from? Born in Sydney, moved all around Australia for my younger years, even lived overseas for 3 years but have been in Melbourne for the past 12 years.
2. Why did you start supporting the Swans? Originally back in 04 but then changed to Saints 4 years later due to moving to Melbourne and thinking supporting a team where I don't live in their state was weird
3. How long have you been supporting the Swans? On and off
4. Favourite players (current)? Parker, Buddy, Ronke, JPK
5. Favourite players (all time)? Goodes, LRT
6. Favourite Swans memories? Back to Back grand finals against the Eagles
7. Where were you for the 2005 GF? The match that really made me get into AFL more.
8. Favourite piece of Swans memorabilia that you own? Thinking of getting the 2018 indigenous Guernsey.
Hard decision... Good luck!

Zarrix

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 15, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Everton
1. Where are you from? Perth
2. Why did you start supporting the Swans? Pluggers after the siren point in 96 PF, first game of AFL I watched
3. How long have you been supporting the Swans? 1996 (6 years old)
4. Favourite players (current)? Lance Franklin, Josh Kennedy, Heath Grundy
5. Favourite players (all time)? Tony Lockett, Paul Kelly, Brett Kirk
6. Favourite Swans memories? The entirety of the 2005 Finals series.
7. Where were you for the 2005 GF? Home, glued to my TV, heart racing.
8. Favourite piece of Swans memorabilia that you own? Swans Guernsey I got for my 7th Birthday.

Disco Brad

Debutant
Jun 13, 2018
AFL Club
Sydney
1. Where are you from? Born n Mt Gambier, grew up in Canberra, Sydney, London, Ljubljana (Slovenia)
2. Why did you start supporting the Swans? Not sure - so long ago
3. How long have you been supporting the Swans? since 1977
4. Favourite players (current)? Ronke, Aliir, Buddy, Rampe, Florent, Sam Reid when fit
5. Favourite players (all time)? Graeme Teasdale was my first hero, but have loved Kelly, Plugger, Goodes, Malceski and many more
6. Favourite Swans memories? Coaching the halt time kids (Willoughby Wildcats under 10s in the Swans jumpers against the Bombers in 85 when the Swans seniors put 30 goals passed the Bombers, playing with Rod Carter, Matthew Lloyd (Swans version), Tony Smith and a few others at Sydney Uni. Meeting Stevie Wright on many occasions back in the 80s
7. Where were you for the 2005 GF? Playing cricket in Austria! Found out via tex
8. Favourite piece of Swans memorabilia that you own? 2005GF DVD

Remove this Banner Ad

Back