Welcome Swans Fans - Introduce Yourselves Here!

Remove this Banner Ad

1. Where are you from? Grew up in Manly, now living in Perth

2. Why did you start supporting the Swans? In Sydney, you didn't see much footy back when i was growing up (except for Rugby... both sorts). My friends brother was friends with one of the team back in the 90s, so we used to watch sometimes. But i've been in WA for about 7 years, and i'm getting more passionate every year.

3. How long have you been supporting the Swans? Since the 90s

4. Favourite players (current)? Jack, Rohan.

5. Favourite players (all time)? Kirk. Proof that nice guys don't always finish last.

6. Favourite Swans memories? I'm going to be a bit different here, but last years win against the cats at skilled, black armbands on both teams, brought a tear to my eye.

7. Where were you for the 2005 GF? Oxford Hotel in Mt Hawthorn, Perth. Trying to keep the grin off my face and make it out of the room in one piece amongst all the Eagles fans.

8. Favourite piece of Swans memorabilia that you own? Don't have much, but i like my t-shirts.

What a legend. :thumbsu:

1. Where are you from?
Born in Newcastle NSW and then slowly moved down the east coast, including Sydney for a few years, then Canberra for most of adult life, before making the move to Melbourne a few years ago.

2. Why did you start supporting the Swans?
Club my family supports

3. How long have you been supporting the Swans?
Since early 90s. Over the last couple of years living in a Melbourne has really driven up my level of support, especially as I started attending more and more games live.

4. Favourite players (current)?
Adam Goodes, Sam Reid, Jude Bolton

5. Favourite players (all time)?
Adam Goodes, Brett Kirk, Tony Lockett

6. Favourite Swans memories?
I'll just put some more recent memories:
Beating saints in first final last year
Victory over Geelong at their home ground (considering everything that was happening with the club at the time)
Drawing with Melbourne at the G (despite the result it was very exciting)

7. Where were you for the 2005 GF?
Watching it at home. My father was lucky enough to in attendance at the game.

8. Favourite piece of Swans memorabilia that you own?
Swans scalf

1. Where are you from?
Born in Sydney, been living in Melbourne for the last 14 years residing in Hurstbridge these days.

Adopted them when they moved to Sydney.

Since the move to Sydney passively, but really got onboard around 1996 when the Super League war ruined League.

Goodesy, Sam Reid, Rhyce Shaw

Plugger, Paul Kelly, Micky O and Goodesy

96 prelim, 05 semi v Cats and last qtr of Prelim v Saints and of course 05 Granny.

AFL Members right on the Forward pocket in the final qtr, basically diagonally opposite where THAT mark was taken.....couldnt hear the siren when it sounded.....what a day.

Matchday ticket vs Richmond, Micky O's 300th and with his signature on it.

I've been following the VFL/AFL for some time now. Like other sports i follow, i follow the game as opposed to any one team in particular but over the last 10 years i have been following the Swans and developed a real liking for them. Like the way they play and like the fact they recruit players from other clubs who thrive in the sydney environment.

Good luck for 2012 and hope the swans can go deeper into the finals:thumbsu::D

1. Where are you from?

Perth, born and raised.

Didn't like the Eagles, Paul Kelly was my favourite player, liked the colour red. Always liked an underdog. All came together in about 1991/2 and just sort of picked Sydney. Thank god, if I'd been born a couple of years later I'd probably be a Dockers fan instead!

Basically 20 years now... that is scary!

Mumford, Jack, Malceski, Bolton and Rohan.

Paul Kelly, Kirky, Bolton, Schwass, Cresswell, Plugger, Crouch and Magic!

The Brownlows, particularly Kelly's. Obviously the GFs, the "worst" best game ever(Nick Davis game)

Watching at a mates house with 11 Eagles fans, a dockers fan and 2 tiger fans. Ironically that day was less "enjoyable" than the next year when we lost just because all the mates just shut down and sulked where as the next year I just drowned the sorrows :) Still... the win was better than the loss obviously!

Not really a memorabilia type so probably just my Swans jumper that I've had for nearly 15 years now and still where at training!

1. Where are you from? Melbourne
2. Why did you start supporting the Swans? Why wouldn't you?
3. How long have you been supporting the Swans? Since Sth Melb days
4. Favourite players (current)? Bolton, Roberts-Thomson, Mummy, Goodes etc
5. Favourite players (all time)? Leo Barry, we played juniors together (South Deni)
6. Favourite Swans memories? Leo's GF mark, 2005 Finals all.
7. Where were you for the 2005 GF? Was at 2006 Final
8. Favourite piece of Swans memorabilia that you own? Old Sth Melb beanie.

Haven't done this yet :S

1. Where are you from? Born in Melbourne, Father is Irish
2. Why did you start supporting the Swans? When I was 5 years old and Plugger started keeping dogs at my fathers farm
3. How long have you been supporting the Swans? 16 years now.
4. Favourite players (current)? McVeigh (Very closely followed by Jack)
5. Favourite players (all time)? Kennelly, Kelly, MOL and Crouch
6. Favourite Swans memories? 2005 Semi Final, Prelim and Grand final (Was at all three games... cried at the end of all three as well.)
7. Where were you for the 2005 GF? Third level Leo Barry end about 7 rows back (Row G)
8. Favourite piece of Swans memorabilia that you own? 1933 Weg poster signed by Bob Pratt, and a little silver medal that they gave to all swans players in the late 80's

1. Where are you from?
Vic

My mother took me to a lot of Geelong West VFA games when I was a kid. When they folded, I followed the red and white colours.

Since the 80s

Nick Malceski, Josh Kennedy

Simon Minton-Connell, Paul Bryce, Gareth John, John Stevens, Paul Kelly, Adam Heuskes, Mark Bayes, Robert Teal, Brett Kirk, Jason Saddington, Ed Barlow

The win against Melbourne in 1993, the prelim against Essendon in 1996.

Watching at home

A personal letter from the chairman after I was on the front page of the Herald Sun for donating $2 to the Swans in the early 90s.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Donners, does your username have anything to do with the Dees?

Donners, does your username have anything to do with the Dees?

Nope, it's a nickname which comes from my name. I actually now hate it and nobody I know has used it for years - unfortunately I started this account some time ago...

1. Where are you from?
Vic

My mother took me to a lot of Geelong West VFA games when I was a kid. When they folded, I followed the red and white colours.

Since the 80s

Nick Malceski, Josh Kennedy

Simon Minton-Connell, Paul Bryce, Gareth John, John Stevens, Paul Kelly, Adam Heuskes, Mark Bayes, Robert Teal, Brett Kirk, Jason Saddington, Ed Barlow

The win against Melbourne in 1993, the prelim against Essendon in 1996.

Watching at home

A personal letter from the chairman after I was on the front page of the Herald Sun for donating $2 to the Swans in the early 90s.

I was at the Melbourne game at the S.C.G. in 93, one of the best days I have ever had at the footy...................96 was better though.

1. Where are you from? Sydney's inner west, used to be the western suburbs
2. Why did you start supporting the Swans? 1992 during the losing streak
3. How long have you been supporting the Swans? see above
4. Favourite players (current)? Parks, Jude, JPK Teddy
5. Favourite players (all time)? Paul Kelly
6. Favourite Swans memories? 2005
7. Where were you for the 2005 GF? At a mates place holding his baby who nearly went thru the tv when Ablett duffed that kick

1. Where are you from? I was born in Sydney raised in Newcastle now live near Byron bay for university
2. Why did you start supporting the Swans? There the first team I saw play against North Melbourne at the SCG...as well as getting to play auskick on SCG :)
3. How long have you been supporting the Swans? Since 2000
4. Favourite players (current)? Bird, Jude, goodes, jack, jetta and mcveigh
5. Favourite players (all time)? Kirk, Leo, Kelly goodes
6. Favourite Swans memories? Semi final v Geelong and 05 grand final
7. Where were you for the 2005 GF? At home watching on tv
8. Favourite piece of Swans memorabilia that you own? The first Swans scarf I bought...

1. Where are you from? scotland
2. Why did you start supporting the Swans? friend
3. How long have you been supporting the Swans? close to 20.
4. Favourite players (current)? goodes, kennedy, hannebery, reid
5. Favourite players (all time)? kelly, kirk, goodes
6. Favourite Swans memories? 05 semi, prelim, gf. beating the bombers by a point in 97, 03 elim final, 96 elim, prelim, 06 elim. any time we beat the roos and eagles.
7. Where were you for the 2005 GF? standing bay
8. Favourite piece of Swans memorabilia that you own? stubbie holder from about 94. 05 heritage jumper.

1. Where are you from? - Born'n'raised in Sydney (Manly), a Sandgroper for 31 years.
2. Why did you start supporting the Swans? - Long story but ya can say I followed Roosy across.
3. How long have you been supporting the Swans? - Since '97.
4. Favourite players (current)? - Goodesy & Jude.
5. Favourite players (all time)? - Roosy, Kells, Goodes & Kirk.
6. Favourite Swans memories? - 05 Granny was very special.
7. Where were you for the 2005 GF? - Glued to the box, nursing a hangover later.
8. Favourite piece of Swans memorabilia that you own? - Got lots .. maybe one of Pluggers' signed playing boots OR my Kells & Adam Goodes footy card collection.

G'day all,

Some of you may recall we had an introductions thread a number of years ago which gave new posters a chance to talk a bit about themselves and how they started following the Swans - Edit - Here is the link http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/swans-rookie-posters-sign-up-here.899781/

Since that time, we have seen substantial turnover in our list, with a few of the regulars from the old days sticking around, but a significant number of new draftees to the board.

So I thought to give posters a chance to get to know each other better on the board it would be interesting to start a thread where posters have a chance to introduce themselves. As some people prefer to remain anonymous, nothing personal of course, just things like whether you are from Sydney or Melbourne, Perth or Canada, how you came to support the Swans, or any interesting anecdotes you wish to share from your time supporting the club.

I am a relative newcomer to the game, born and bred in Sydney, started watching AFL in the late 90s and began to follow the Swans when Paul Kelly was in the twilight of his career. Best memories aside from the two flags would be the very first game I attended live (Anzac Day 2003 against Melbourne at the SCG) and just the entire 2003 season in general, since that was what made me really sit up and take notice of the club after a few mediocre years and was the catalyst for deciding to buy a membership the following year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ive followed the team since i was 3 in the 1986 season.

Always lived in tassie and we had them on tv every second sunday for their sydney games and i always watched. Early memories are also rare friday night games we played and getting to stay up and watch. Always loved watching footy but we used to go to local footy and i followed at as closely as a little tacker, going for clarence because they were red and white too.

Early favourites include Capper i guess but then players like healy, williams, toohey, carter.

I mainly remember the club being ratshit and being like the only swans fan at school amongst hawks, bombers. Blues, pies etc. everyone loved hawthorn it seemed. Kick to kick they would be dunstall, lockett and so on and i was minton-connell.

I remember thinking minton connell werner and hutton could lead us to a flag.. Whoops

We won game in grade 5 against Melbourne when osbourne kicked 10 dark days, you just didnt even consider we could play finals.

Thats why getting plugger in 95, making a grand final in 96 then consistently playing finals every year bar 2002, 2009 or whenever they were not to mention winning 2 flags and being there for one, thats just unbelievable when i reflect on my time as a fan.

The first game i ever went to live was 2004 at etihad v the dees and we won, every time ive been to melbourne we have won, ive been at the mcg for every swans win since 2007 when im not there we lose.

But each time i went to sydney we have lost

My favourite players in my time watching, lockett, minton-connell, toohey, cresswell, goodes, dunkley, goodes, bolton, p williams, healy, hall, magic, and a fair few others i cant be bothered typing, not many i havent liked bar bomford and oconner they were hacks and chambers.

My favourite though paul kelly.

This club is important to me, i love it, my weekends in winter are always swans swans swans, i love to watch footy and watch all the shows, i love the history and i love the game

I hate hawthorn though

I was late to the game too. I started following footy in 2007, I'm only 19 now though. Followed the Swans because they were my dads team (old South Melbourne supporter). Now I'm obsessed.

My favourite memory was obviously the 2012 flag. I wasn't watching footy in 2005 and watching it retrospectively is obviously not the same as seeing it as it happens. Another favourite memory would be attending Micky O's 300th game at the G.

I think my first game attending was a game against Hawthorn at the MCG in 2007. I recall only winning by a few points and Kirk and Fosdike being our best, and Buddy kicked 6 for the Hawks I think.

Last edited:
Name: Toby

Swans fan since: 1996

Favourite Swan: Paul Kelly

Favourite Current Swan: Nick Smith

Second Favourite Team: Hard one. Possibly Cats

Hated Team: Essendon

Favourite: Moment: Nick Davis. I saw it but I didn't believe it.

Passions outside Swans: My two daughters.

If I wasn't watching Swans I'd be: skiing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back