Welcome Swans Fans - Introduce Yourselves Here!

Remove this Banner Ad

As a recent member, would love to hear more re those ROOMIES threads... as I'm sure many others would like to hear also.

I wasn't involved with this board that closely at the time but from what I know of them they were mostly gossip about the younger players and who was the best looking etc, just stuff that most teenage girls would talk about, like Sophie said they were harmless fun. We probably have the girls to thank for increasing activity on what used to be a very quiet board back in those days!

I wasn't involved with this board that closely at the time but from what I know of them they were mostly gossip about the younger players and who was the best looking etc, just stuff that most teenage girls would talk about, like Sophie said they were harmless fun. We probably have the girls to thank for increasing activity on what used to be a very quiet board back in those days!

RW,

errrr... Maybe then I really don't want to hear about that... rofpmsl... Sorry SOPH_CROSS... but You Go Girl anyways lol

G'day.

The name's Morgan, age 20. I started watching the Swans since 2007 (though I could say I was a Swans fan since 2003 or whatever). My parents were Swans fans, as a Sydneysider born and bred they were the natural choice. My dad didn't watch VFL/AFL until the Swans came to Sydney (for obvious reasons), though my mum does reminisce watching the VFL in rural NSW as a young girl.

In general however I've only really payed attention in the last couple of years, preferred the Northern code for the most part.

Best memory would be the 2012 GF naturally. I also remember attempting to storm out during the 3rd quarter when we were choking. I can get very aggressively passionate when good positions are thrown away :p

Not sure on my favourite player, I guess Goodes though as I bought his badge on my scarf when I started to follow the game.

2nd team would be the Giants, as I'd like to see footy expand in my home city. Most hated teams are Collingwood and Essendon, and all the flog fans on BF have turned me against Hawthorn.

Hi all, i'm Gav. I'm 28 and a 4th generation swans supporter, with South supporters right along mums side of the family. With dad not really interested in football I was given a wide range of choices in terms of teams. Swans or get out.

First game I can remember would have been in the late 80's or early 90's at the MCG against Richmond. All I can remember is it rained and hailed that day and we got pumped. It was good preparation for the next few years. Going through middle primary school in the dark days of 93/94 was horrid, but makes the successes of recent times all that much more enjoyable. I can remember footy day in 93. Myself, my two siblings and 1 other kid, the only Swans supporters in the school walking around the basketball court to chants of "Sydney sucks!" While the teachers laughed. In '95 a new PE teacher started at the school who was a trainer for the Swans and in '97 he handed me the paperwork to sign up as a member.

Worst memories:
  • Being stuck sitting next to the Collingwood cheersquad and being sworn at and threatened throughout the game with security doing nothing, but when the filth complained about the old bloke with the bell, they kicked him out when he wouldn't give it up.
  • Trip out of Waverley wasn't great in '96 when Richardson gave away the free for charging into Dunkley on the goal line. Dad's car was bombarded with footy's and wooden tree stakes on our way out of the carpark. Ferals.
  • Oh and the StKilda game at Etihad that we've all tried to remove from our minds.

Best memories:
  • The flags, camping out overnight after the '05 prelim to get a line number to get grand final tickets, with a clearly intoxicated Tony Morwood visiting after the victory and saying something along the lines of " to the victors go the spoils and to StKilda, well * 'em"
  • Getting to watch Kells play. Favourite player of all time and had the pleasure of meeting him many times. Just a great, friendly person.
  • Piffing rolled up streamers at Wayne Carey during the '96 Grand Final parade as an 11 year old. Clearly didn't throw hard enough but will say one did bounce off the back of his head.
  • First match i saw live in Sydney. ANZAC Day '03 with the 10 goal final quarter. Yelling a screaming my lungs out for 3 quarters whilst people around sat silently and looked at me like I was mental only for them to be standing up on seats and jumping up and down in the last as we steamrolled to the win.
  • Thumping Richmond by 100+ on Mother's Day in '06? What better mother/son bonding time can you get?
  • Watching the '05 semi with a mate (Melbourne supporter) at my place and threatening to kick him out half way through the last because every Swans game he had ever watched with me we lost. Not a bad way to break his hoodoo.

Last edited:
Sup yo!

Name is Alan, 32 and been a Swans fan since 2005. Consequently I have a bit of a bugbear about being a bandwagoner, so I overcompensate by being extra loud and obnoxious at home games and on forums.

Biggest footy regret is that I lived in Melbourne for six months in 2004, and did not even try to get into footy life. Growing up on the Central Coast, it was all rugby league all the time. When I worked at my role on Collins St, Mon to Wed was talking about the previous weekends game, Thursday and Fri about the upcoming weekend. There'll be a day when Sydney becomes like that, and I'd like to hope that I'd still be around to see it!

Best memory of the early years was the Geelong Final on 05. Still get chills watching it on Youtube, might have to break it out tonight given how the season is going so far.

My claim to fame is that the only person from my high school that played Aussie Rules went on to the AFL - Ray Hall for the Tigers. I like to think that if i discovered the game earlier, I could have gone through the Gosford High development program and made it too :p Growing up on the coast I could have played with the McVeigh boys!!

My other interests include snowboarding, property investing, and taekwondo. I recently graded to 4th dan black belt and run a tkd class in Ultimo. Discounts for forum members!!

Last edited:
Sup yo!

Name is Alan, 32 and been a Swans fan since 2005. Consequently I have a bit of a bugbear about being a bandwagoner, so I overcompensate by being extra loud and obnoxious at home games and on forums.

Biggest footy regret is that I lived in Melbourne for six months in 2004, and did not even try to get into footy life. Growing up on the Central Coast, it was all rugby league all the time. When I worked at my role on Collins St, Mon to Wed was talking about the previous weekends game, Thursday and Fri about the upcoming weekend. There'll be a day when Sydney becomes like that, and I'd like to hope that I'd still be around to see it!

Best memory of the early years was the Geelong Final on 05. Still get chills watching it on Youtube, might have to break it out tonight given how the season is going so far.

My claim to fame is that the only person from my high school that played Aussie Rules went on to the AFL - Ray Hall for the Tigers. I like to think that if i discovered the game earlier, I could have gone through the Gosford High development program and made it too :p Growing up on the coast I could have played with the McVeigh boys!!

My other interests include snowboarding, property investing, and taekwondo. I recently graded to 4th dan black belt and run a tkd class in Ultimo. Discounts for forum members!!

Bandwagoner.

Sup yo!

Baja,

You just have to love the Bandwagoners... (tongue clearly planted in cheek...)

Well Alan, so long as they spend money at the club... then we have plenty of room for the Bandwagoners... even you...

But must admit, our Bandwagon is nowhere near the Tigers when they are winning...

Be LOUD, be PROUD.. We are coming.. Well.. I think we are.. Has the season started yet????

(Log in to remove this ad.)

:p

In my defence, my first live game was mid season when no one gave us a chance!!

You know I don't think of you as a bandwagonner I think you are a loud and proud Swans fan can never have to many it doesn't matter where they come from as long as they stay aboard when the going gets tough. Its obvious you are a student of the game your football knowledge is impressive for someone relatively new to the game and the passion shows on this board no one can question that.
4th Dan in Taekwondo is impressive I really like that hobby its a very therapeutic and relaxing social activity, do you play any real sports?

You know I don't think of you as a bandwagonner I think you are a loud and proud Swans fan can never have to many it doesn't matter where they come from as long as they stay aboard when the going gets tough. Its obvious you are a student of the game your football knowledge is impressive for someone relatively new to the game and the passion shows on this board no one can question that.
4th Dan in Taekwondo is impressive I really like that hobby its a very therapeutic and relaxing social activity, do you play any real sports?

Cheers Braj! Yeah, I've had a pretty dream run as a Swans fan, and I'm pretty invested right now, so I don't see myself falling off anytime soon. Especially over the next two years my gf will be overseas, so I'll be living and breathing red and white.

Used be play basketball a fair bit, til the left knee got a bit wonky. Now I just gym and do taekwondo. Studying to be a personal trainer at the moment, so see what happens with that. Wouldn't mind doing a bit of strength and conditioning with the boys :p Putting together a functional martial arts program for myself that works the core, hips and legs, so I'll try to sell that to Matt Cameron and Horse!

There's nothing wrong with being a bandwagoner, you might not post on BF every week or watch every single game (I myself have missed the odd one here and there over the years due to study / travel), the main thing is you don't drop off!!

All the best with the program, have you discovered the health and fitness board? It might help if we drop to 1-4 and things get too depressing on here. :oops:

Nick, grew up in Manly.

There was no AFL in Sydney when i grew up. My old best friend had moved from Melbourne, and was a pies fan, but AFL was just some Victorian game that i knew nothing about. Later the Swans moved to Sydney, and a vague acquaintance (my mates brother's friend) played Swans reserves, so i kind of got interested, and then jumped on board.

So I too am a bandwaggoner, of a kind. I love an underdog, and jumped on in the early 1990s when we were the biggest underdog in the comp. My other favourite teams were the North Sydney Bears (NRL... so s**t they don't exist anymore), and the NZ cricket team, who bravely snatch humiliating defeat from the jaws of victory on a regular basis. I fear no 1-4 start, losing just makes me cheer harder.

I have moved around a bit, living in Sydney, NZ, Perth and now NZ again. My job involves a lot of international travel (in Scotland right now, Perth in 2 weeks, and Cape Town next month), but instead of changing to Air NZ, i've stuck with Qantas so i can book my trips through Sydney or Melbourne on the off chance i'll be in town for a game. If i ever manage it, it'd be nice to meet some of you in person.

Best memories:
I'd just arrived in WA in late 2005, and went to the local pub in Mt Hawthorn to see the GF with my wife and friend. Walking out of there trying to keep my excitement to a minimum from fear of a lynching was near impossible.

But my best swans memories are of guys like Kelly, Kirk and Bolton in particular, just diving into contact with no fear. That's the Swans at their best for me, and makes me proud to be a fan.

Worst memories:
The same pub in Mt Hawthorn a year later.

Last edited:
Nick, grew up in Manly.

There was no AFL in Sydney when i grew up. My old best friend had moved from Melbourne, and was a pies fan, but AFL was just some Victorian game that i knew nothing about. Later the Swans moved to Sydney, and a vague acquaintance (my mates brother's friend) played Swans reserves, so i kind of got interested, and then jumped on board.

So I too am a bandwaggoner, of a kind. I love an underdog, and jumped on in the early 1990s when we were the biggest underdog in the comp. My other favourite teams were the North Sydney Bears (NRL... so s**t they don't exist anymore), and the NZ cricket team, who bravely snatch humiliating defeat from the jaws of victory on a regular basis. I fear no 1-4 start, losing just makes me cheer harder.

I have moved around a bit, living in Sydney, NZ, Perth and now NZ again. My job involves a lot of international travel (in Scotland right now, Perth in 2 weeks, and Cape Town next month), but instead of changing to Air NZ, i've stuck with Qantas so i can book my trips through Sydney or Melbourne on the off chance i'll be in town for a game. If i ever manage it, it'd be nice to meet some of you in person.

Best memories:
I'd just arrived in WA in late 2005, and went to the local pub in Mt Hawthorn to see the GF with my wife and friend. Walking out of there trying to keep my excitement to a minimum from fear of a lynching was near impossible.

But my best swans memories are of guys like Kelly, Kirk and Bolton in particular, just diving into contact with no fear. That's the Swans at their best for me, and makes me proud to be a fan.

Worst memories:
The same pub in Mt Hawthorn a year later.

Live in Manly now - you'll be pleased to hear that AFL is definitely growing here!

There's nothing wrong with being a bandwagoner, you might not post on BF every week or watch every single game (I myself have missed the odd one here and there over the years due to study / travel), the main thing is you don't drop off!!

All the best with the program, have you discovered the health and fitness board? It might help if we drop to 1-4 and things get too depressing on here. :oops:

Thats not a bandwagoner, bandwagoners arent jumping on in good times or late, or miss a game,

Its jumping on, then jumping off when we lose, thick and thin, my sister went for just about every premiership side for about a decade thats a bandwagoner or a less extreme one is the annoying toss who if your team loses bags you out, if theirs loses they dont care because they probably didnt watch it

We soon fire them

Hey everyone, my name's Eugene.

Migrating from Malaysia to Sydney as a 10 year old, I figured the best way to fit in was to like the same things all the other guys like. When it came to sport, that was rugby league and certainly not that weird aerial ping-pong sport they played down in chilly Melbourne. So for my first 6 years in Sydney, I was the most devout Canberra Raiders fan. Why the Raiders, well I'm not ashamed to say that I was a bandwagoner and jumped on one of the most successful teams of that era. The best team was actually the Brisbane Broncos but there was no way I was going to support a Queensland team and remain popular at school. It also helped that the Raiders had about half the NSW Origin team in the lineup. I can still remember many Saturday afternoons in the backyard I spent enacting sweeping Raiders backline movements: "Stuart long cut out pass to Daley, inside ball to Meninga, who fends off two tackles and offloads to Mullins who crosses in the corner!!!"

The only exposure I got to AFL was by pure circumstance more than by design. My parents used to do their weekly grocery shopping in Flemington (aka Homebush West) because it was cheaper and they had Asian grocery items that you couldn't get at Coles/Woolies back then. Instead of wandering the shopping aisles with them, my siblings and I would hang around this Asian electrical goods shop where for some reason they always had the AFL on all their display TVs. Maybe it was through pure laziness that they never switched the channel or perhaps the owner was a closeted AFL fan, but it was my only exposure to AFL in the early to mid 90s. And this was when the Swans were bad, nay terrible, and so it was hard for me to develop any passion for them given they were getting pumped almost every week and I had no idea about the rules

The first full game I watched on TV I'm pretty sure was the 96 Grand Final. Even the kids at school were talking about the game in the week leading up to it and I was so sure the Swans would win so you can imagine my disappointment when they lost. It was also at this time the Super League breakaway comp started where, for those that don't know, there was a breakaway comp started by News Ltd and there were 2 Rugby League competitions running concurrently. It was then I started losing interest in RL and started gaining more interest in AFL.

I went to my first live match in 1998, my dear, late departed Dad scored some free tickets at work to this blockbuster:

Syd v Gee - http://afltables.com/afl/stats/games/1998/091619980412.html
We set high in the Bradman stand, front row, had a great view as the Swans absolutely pulverised the Cats. The SCG was rocking with each goal and I fell deep in love with the team, the stadium and the game right there and then.

Over the years Dad occasionally managed to get a few more free tickets and while there must have been more, these ones stick out my mind:

Syd v Ess - http://afltables.com/afl/stats/games/2001/051620010420.html
Friday night, full house at the SCG. It was pouring, the roads were a nightmare getting into Moore Park. We only had GA tickets so we ended up watching from under the stands with a very poor vantage point in the old Hill area, now the Trumper Stand. Damian Peverill made his debut and tagged Schwass out of it while Saddo was tasked with the big job on Hird and was pantsed.

Syd v Port - http://afltables.com/afl/stats/games/2002/131620020714.html
Port were top of the ladder and we were out of finals contention. (It was the year we lost all those close games, Rocket got the sack and this was one of Roosy's first games as caretaker coach). No one gave us a hope and yet we stuck with them only to lose when Jared Poulton kicked the winning goal on the siren. Almost cried :(

Syd v Stk - http://afltables.com/afl/stats/games/2004/151620040606.html
St Kilda had won 10 in a row to start the year ("The Streak") but led by Leo Barry who destroyed Fraser "G-Train" Gehrig we upset them.

It was around this time Dad got really sick and was hospitalised and I sepnt almost every weekend by his bedside so had no chance of getting to any more SCG games. I even recall watching parts of the 04 GF from his hospital room as Port prevented Brisbane going for a four-peat.

Dad passed away in 05 (the exact day was a Swans v Carlton game at Docklands also Malceski's debut. I still have a soft spot for Mal because of this) and after grieving for a few weeks, I decided to distract myself by buying tickets to the remaining Swans home games - and what a fantastic time it was, riding the euphoria of all those games, plus the Geelong semi where all hope seemed lost for 3 quarters until our saviour rose out of the damp grass of the hallowed SCG turf.

Bought a full membership in 06, have sat in a few places, the O'Reilly, the bays under the Brewongle, and now dedicated Red Zone member. I've met some fantastic fellow Swans fans who are just as passionate and are willing to talk Red and White as much as I do. Best experience of course was the '12 GF win, I actually cried this time :p totally unexpected burst of emotion that I didn't know I had in me. I still think there's nothing better than the atmosphere and electricity when a full SCG is rocking during a close finish (just like yesterday!) and I love the ecstasy when the full time siren goes.

Sorry bout the essay

tl;dr - ex-RL fan turned AFL and Swans fanatic

I can't imagine what it must be like to lose a parent... my parents drive me nuts at times but I know that I am incredibly lucky to have them and I would miss them terribly if they weren't there...

I used to go to a lot of games with Mum in the early years as we didn't know anyone else who liked footy at the time, now she has people asking to go to games with her all the time, and is even educating others on the finer points of the game after starting off with zero footy knowledge! Like vonn said it's a good sign of the growing popularity of the game in Sydney, even if the crowd numbers sadly don't always reflect that. Even SM is doing his bit by introducing his soccer mates to the game ;)

I can't imagine what it must be like to lose a parent... my parents drive me nuts at times but I know that I am incredibly lucky to have them and I would miss them terribly if they weren't there...

I used to go to a lot of games with Mum in the early years as we didn't know anyone else who liked footy at the time, now she has people asking to go to games with her all the time, and is even educating others on the finer points of the game after starting off with zero footy knowledge! Like vonn said it's a good sign of the growing popularity of the game in Sydney, even if the crowd numbers sadly don't always reflect that. Even SM is doing his bit by introducing his soccer mates to the game ;)
Likewise, footy days are time when I spend time with my mum as my dad doesn't really have any interest in going to games, likewise my siblings are the same. My grandfather would go with us but as he gets older hasn't been keen driving himself in and refuses to get a myki. My nana has just about beaten leukaemia and while she has been sick my grandfather has been doing a lot. As a result we got my grandfather a membership for christmas this year and look forward to sharing a few games with three generations. I hate to think of a day when we that doesn't happen any more.

Let's see here. I'm Tim. I'm 39, and started supporting the swans when they moved to Sydney, as I was born here but grew up n South Australia, so while my school chums all supported the big victorian clubs, me being me, bucked that trend, and copped a bit of stick for it. So I've been there through ups and downs. My fist live game was when I moved to Sydney at 18, and have been a regular since. Lucky enough to have been at some massive moments. Plugger 96, Davis 05 among others, but of course to have been there '12 for the gf was the highlight. I have brought a few friends over to AFL, and I am always on the hard sell at work, with some success. Hard to remember what I did before I discovered Bigfooty, must've bottled up a heap of angst and footy. Thats it really, oh, I work as a Train Guard, intercity, so if you see a 6'3 doofus hanging out the door, yell out T Brett!! see if it's me!:footy::thumbsu:

After reading through this thread I just want to say that I think we obviously have some great fans and posters on here.

As for me... I live in Adelaide. I'm your run of the mill accountant and swans tragic.
I was born in Carlton (don't hold that against me) and grew up in north western Victoria. I also follow the Storm (St George before storm & for a short stint after the salary cap breaches), the 'Tahs, Victory and am still split on the Kings/Tigers. So I'm a very proud Victorian who follows the NSW AFL side & VIC NRL team while I live in SA...

EARLY YEARS: Back in the early 90s I was trying to choose a footy (AFL) side to go for. I really loved the swans and thought very highly of many of the players. The one problem was we were absolutely pathetic and any time I'd hint I liked them I'd get "oh, really!?" so I kept quiet. This lead to some confusion with my mother declaring to the world I was a Dons supporter after I once said I liked Salmon & Wanganeen. After months of indecision and fear of ridicule I decided to finally show my true support for the club. It was nothing more than a combination of the underdog tag, looking at the sheer hopelessness of wooden spoon after wooden spoon, potential mergers etc etc... All the while we had some absolutely outstanding champion players slogging it out week in week out and showing pride in the jumper. I have one clear image of Kels getting up off a muddy SCG centre after another desperate smother in the dying minutes of a game (I think it was against the cats or pies), his body having been beaten, bloodied & bruised... The margin was something ridiculous. No way of a fight back, game was easily gone, we'd surely secure wooden spoon... But Kels wasn't giving up still. This pride in turn made me proud and determined. We were going to fight our way out of this come hell or high water we were going to rise above the odds. And thankfully we did (far above my expectations actually).

Over the years since I’ve been lucky enough to see us go from the bottom of the pile to the top. For as long as I have been following the club I think we have always shown that “culture” or never say die attitude that is so often spoken about in the media. Early on it was a select few players that bled that notion. Later on it was embraced in a more formal sense like a club code. Now it is every other clubs excuse for a code of behaviour and ethics. None-the-less, no matter how much you believe in and develop such a culture, it will always be the players & stakeholders at the club which make the attitudes, decisions and ultimately outcomes what they are. We have been very lucky that we have had guys passionate and dedicated to our club and its success over and above personal glory or just about anything else. Our recruitment and selection of players based more-so on their integrity, guts, determination, commitment and desire over skills alone has meant we are as strong a club as I would have ever imagined all those years ago.

Guys like Teddy, Mummy, Kennedy and Benny show the attitudes and principles we hold has allowed our club to become a destination not an outlier. We can mould our players to perform to their strengths and “recycle” players using their motivation for a second chance better than most. We invest more heavily into guys like Kennelly, C.Bolton, Marty, ‘Eski, Rampe, AJ, Smith, Bird, and the Jacks of this world than they would have been elsewhere IMO. Kelly, Kirk, Bolton and Macca show that our leaders lead our club in a spirit of unity. Us against them. Together we stand and together we fall. No man stands alone at our club. You could be a superstar or a no name. You have a role and you play that role as hard and as well as you possibly can, then you try harder.

BEST MOMENT: Obviously 2005 premiership. Nothing will ever come close I don’t think (2012 gives it a good crack though). Firstly, the immensity of the history with years of turmoil having built up meant it wasn’t just about that team on that day. It was about 72 years of players, teams, administration and fans. It was about our club from South Melbourne to Sydney. Our champions that had missed out (Kels, Skilton etc) on ultimate glory. It meant far more than just that one team on the one day. Secondly, the intensity of the contest itself made that day unbelievable. Specifically, those final moments and Leos mark made that game (and that mark) possibly the most important in our clubs history.

WORST MOMENT: While 1996 & 2006 are both up there I’d have to say that watching Kirky’s last game was devastating. I was certain we’d win and I’d get to see him the next week. After all, I had the chance to see him the week before but was certain we’d win. That moment where the trainer tries to take him from the field, blood flowing, and he pushes him off *shudder*. I can’t remember ever seeing anyone want to play for our club more than Kirky. The term “bleed for the jumper” is a part of his DNA. I was screaming at the telly for the boys to lift and go harder and fight; That Kirky wouldn’t have left anything on the field so they shouldn’t have either... But they were spent. They couldn’t pull themselves over the line for one of our all time greatest leaders. I was just about inconsolable. A grown man weeping like a baby... he meant so much to our club & to me that in that moment I couldn’t believe it was over.

Last edited:
Hi Im baja, some know me as Bez.
I am very handsome and have the body of a greek god I love my football, I love to cook and enjoy a fine wine or a cold beer, I love art, music, markets and long romantic walks on the beach. Looking for a like minded girl who is a demon in the sack. PM me now.
I married a girl who is a demon both in and out of the sack. Luckily they rarely win so I don't hear too much about Roosy, Dawes, Jonesy, etc.

Oh you meant...

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back