Welcome Swans Fans - Introduce Yourselves Here!

Remove this Banner Ad

HulkSmash

Just a bit outside...
Jan 7, 2020
Rent-free in your head
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
NK, NUJ, SK, ST, NSWW, NSWP, MUFC
1. Where are you from? North Western Sydney, though not by choice (transferred by mistake). Originally from the Hunter
2. Why did you start supporting the Swans? Because they were the AFL team for New South Wales. Not these pretenders who should be moved to Canberra or Tasmania.
3. How long have you been supporting the Swans? Ever since I can remember.
4. Favourite players (current)? Issac Heeney, Buddy Franklin
5. Favourite players (all time)? Tony Lockett, Paul Kelly, Adam Goodes
6. Favourite Swans memories? Grand final wins, that come from behind victory against Essendon a few years ago
7. Where were you for the 2005 GF? At a mate's place for a 21st, where I nearly lost my hand to a ceiling fan when Leo took that mark.
8. Favourite piece of Swans memorabilia that you own? Signed car flag with most of the team's signatures.

RW

Cancelled
10k Posts Sydney Forum Service Medal Sydney Swans - Jake Lloyd 2020 Player Sponsor BeanCoiNFT Investor Sydney Swans - Harry Cunningham 2019 Player Sponsor Ex-Moderator Sydney Swans - Gary Rohan Player Sponsor 2018 Sydney Swans - George Hewett Player Sponsor 2017 Sydney Swans - Callum Mills Player Sponsor 2016 Podcaster
Jan 11, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney
I saw we had a new member join yesterday called joejoejoe. Someone must be excited about Daniher coming to us next year? ;) Welcome!

joejoejoe

Rookie
Jul 25, 2020
AFL Club
Sydney
Not at all. the name refers to Cadillac Joe from a radio show I listen to. Nothing to do with footy.

Joe Daniher is a completely different matter.

As he hasn't played for so long I would only be offering a year incentive based contract.

I would be just as inclined to take a risk on Paddy Mccartin as a rookie, if he is over his concussion problems.

Not at all. the name refers to Cadillac Joe from a radio show I listen to. Nothing to do with footy.

Joe Daniher is a completely different matter.

As he hasn't played for so long I would only be offering a year incentive based contract.

I would be just as inclined to take a risk on Paddy Mccartin as a rookie, if he is over his concussion problems.
Welcome

Bloods86

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 7, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Adelaide United, Everton, Socceroos
Not a new member, but haven't logged in since 2011 it seems.

1. Where are you from? Lived in Adelaide for 15 years, originally from SE South Australia.
2. Why did you start supporting the Swans? Great question. Don't actually recall. I know I was a fan by 1995 (age of 8/9) because I was hoping Kelly got the brownlow. Possibly a mix of growing up in southern SA, everyone went for Crows or a Vic team, wanting to be different, or because they were an underdog team at the time. Plugger, Kelly et al probably helped. Turns out it was a great time to become a fan (considering one of the teams I used to pretend to play for in the backyard before then was Carlton I think).
3. How long have you been supporting the Swans? At least 25 years
4. Favourite players (current)? Hewett, Rampe, Heeney, Mills, Papley (I could include McCartin, Rowbottom as ones I'm most excited by). I feel disloyal to JPK and others tbh, not listing more.
5. Favourite players (all time)? Kelly, Dunkley, Micky O, Barry, Crouch, ROK, Tadhg, Teddy, Nick Smith
6. Favourite Swans memories? Dunkley/Kelly sendoff and Roosy chants at end of 2002, the relief at Leo's mark in 2005 (with dry mouth and feeling like jelly in the last qtr), the dominant part of the GF in 2012 (and then the fightback in the last), basically any time we beat the Crows (especially if I'm at AO for it)
7. Where were you for the 2005 GF? In a pub bar on Kangaroo Island, significantly ignoring the family friend's wedding reception I was at
8. Favourite piece of Swans memorabilia that you own? Not really into memorabilia/merch.

Not a new member, but haven't logged in since 2011 it seems.

1. Where are you from? Lived in Adelaide for 15 years, originally from SE South Australia.
2. Why did you start supporting the Swans? Great question. Don't actually recall. I know I was a fan by 1995 (age of 8/9) because I was hoping Kelly got the brownlow. Possibly a mix of growing up in southern SA, everyone went for Crows or a Vic team, wanting to be different, or because they were an underdog team at the time. Plugger, Kelly et al probably helped. Turns out it was a great time to become a fan (considering one of the teams I used to pretend to play for in the backyard before then was Carlton I think).
3. How long have you been supporting the Swans? At least 25 years
4. Favourite players (current)? Hewett, Rampe, Heeney, Mills, Papley (I could include McCartin, Rowbottom as ones I'm most excited by). I feel disloyal to JPK and others tbh, not listing more.
5. Favourite players (all time)? Kelly, Dunkley, Micky O, Barry, Crouch, ROK, Tadhg, Teddy, Nick Smith
6. Favourite Swans memories? Dunkley/Kelly sendoff and Roosy chants at end of 2002, the relief at Leo's mark in 2005 (with dry mouth and feeling like jelly in the last qtr), the dominant part of the GF in 2012 (and then the fightback in the last), basically any time we beat the Crows (especially if I'm at AO for it)
7. Where were you for the 2005 GF? In a pub bar on Kangaroo Island, significantly ignoring the family friend's wedding reception I was at
8. Favourite piece of Swans memorabilia that you own? Not really into memorabilia/merch.
Welcome back :)

The_Hyphen

You can't handle the truth...
Aug 16, 2020
Covid Central
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
lufc
Where are you from?
2. Why did you start supporting the Swans? - 1972
3. How long have you been supporting the Swans? - Do the sum.
4. Favourite players (current)? - Jury's out. Rampe, Aliir, Heeney, Mills
5. Favourite players (all time)? Rhys-Jones, Bayes, Carroll, Dunkley
6. Favourite Swans memories? 3 games scoring over 200 pts, 05 GF
7. Where were you for the 2005 GF? - Earth
8. Favourite piece of Swans memorabilia that you own? - Memories

shepherdodin

Senior List
Aug 19, 2020
AFL Club
Sydney
1. Where are you from? Wagga Wagga.
2. Why did you start supporting the Swans? Grew up in NSW, parents supported swans, had no choice really.
3. How long have you been supporting the Swans? Since 1994 - 26 years
4. Favourite players (current)? Kennedy, Dawson, Papley
5. Favourite players (all time)? Paul Kelly, captain courageous
6. Favourite Swans memories? 2005 GF, 1996 Prelim
7. Where were you for the 2005 GF? At home watching on TV
8. Favourite piece of Swans memorabilia that you own? Signed Tony Lockett swans cap.

Nice to join!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

dazedjosh

Cancelled
Aug 13, 2020
AFL Club
Sydney
G'day all, I'm more likely to be found on Reddit but I do enjoy a BigFooty draft/trade/list management thread so I figured I'd sign up and get involved

1. Where are you from? Sydney boy born and raised
2. Why did you start supporting the Swans? My grandad claims to have played a handful of reserves games for them back in the 50's. He was a constant s**t talker but photos of him from World War 2 also showed that he was a ******* unit, so I've been sure if I should believe him or not. Fast forward to the early 90's and the Swans are shite, handing out free tickets at schools in the suburbs. I snagged a few and went to 3 games during the 26 game losing streak, including the game where Plugger put his elbow through Peter Caven's face and we blew a 50 point lead.
3. How long have you been supporting the Swans? Ever since I can remember.
4. Favourite players (current)? James Rowbottom, Nick Blakey, Callum Mills, Isaac Heeney
5. Favourite players (all time)? Tony Lockett, Paul Kelly, Adam Goodes, Darryn Creswell, Brett Kirk
6. Favourite Swans memories? Preliminary final 1996 v Essendon. My best mate and I were at the game after getting to Ticketek early to make sure we had tickets. We were behind the goals where Lockett kicked a point after the siren.
7. Where were you for the 2005 GF? At the MCG, opposite end of the ground to the Barry mark. Until he got up and walked away I had absolutely no idea who had taken the mark.
8. Favourite piece of Swans memorabilia that you own? The jumper I bought at the MCG on GF day 2005

Wheresbuddy

Club Legend
Sep 14, 2020
AFL Club
Sydney
1. Where are you from? Brisbane
2. Why did you start supporting the Swans? Grew up in Dubbo
3. How long have you been supporting the Swans? A bloody long time
4. Favourite players (current)? Heeney Mills JPK
5. Favourite players (all time)? LRT Luff Kirk Pyke - love the battlers
6. Favourite Swans memories? 1996 prelim, 2005 and 2012 GF, 2016 GF - even though we were robbed, I was there and the atmosphere was amazing
7. Where were you for the 2005 GF? UK
8. Favourite piece of Swans memorabilia that you own? 2018 Swans cap given to me by my son's footy team for being their manager

dosser

Club Legend
Sep 15, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Just saw that I've never done this before so giving it a go now.

1. Where are you from? Currently living in Melbourne
2. Why did you start supporting the Swans? I had a connection with them in my playing days.
3. How long have you been supporting the Swans? Since 1982
4. Favourite players (current)? Rampe, Fox.
5. Favourite players (all time)? Bayes, Goodes.
6. Favourite Swans memories? 2012 GF in the stands with my daughter.
7. Where were you for the 2005 GF? Living in Hobart, with streamers and a swans flag decorating the house for the traffic to appreciate.
8. Favourite piece of Swans memorabilia that you own? Some letters I received when I was 18.

As a Swans member since 1994, I just wanted to say it was nice touch to receive the little hand-written postcard from Cairns thanking me for my support this year.

Bobbyblackeyes

Debutant
Oct 19, 2020
AFL Club
Sydney
Bobbyblackeyes is officially checking in. Long overdue.

Real name is Pat.

Well I first learnt about the Bigfooty community way back in 2011. I had moved out of home and travelled all across the country solo for 3 months. I ended up putting my feet in the sand at East Fremantle and lived there throughout my early twenties. Whilst living over on the West Coast my passion and love for AFL intensified. I remember walking down to the Leopold Hotel on the weekend and taking a seat at the front bar, knocking back cheap pints, talking all things footy whilst watching the game on the big screen. My friends were die hard Eagles and Dockers supporters and they introduced me to the Bigfooty forum. I have been a long time lurker. I don't know why I never interacted. I would just browse key topics and read the occasional board over the years. But, now I have opened up an account and decided to get involved with the bloods community.

1. Where are you from?

Born on the Central Coast, New South Wales and grew up surfing the waves around Norah Head.

2.Why did you start supporting the Swans? / 3. How long have you been supporting the Swans?

My first memories of the Swans was back around 1992/1993. I started watching them as a youngling when they were televised on channel 7. Growing up in a rugby league eccentric household this was frowned upon heavily. At first I was seen as a bit of an outcast in my own family. I had to argue and fight my brothers and sisters just for a chance to use the TV and watch the swans play. No one supported AFL at all. AFL wasn't talked about at school nor did you ever see anyone wearing AFL jerseys in the community. Over the next few years my family realised my love for the game was not going to wane and grew to accept that if the swans were playing on TV then I was going to mesmerised in front of the telly. Within those years my Nan had picked up on my love for the game and decided to start watching games herself. We would then have secret conversations whenever she would come over to visit. These moments chatting with her were the main reason I stuck supporting them and stayed loyal to my obsession. In 1996, my Dad won tickets to a Swans game through his work. This was the best day of my life to that point. Round 14 Swans vs Geelong. I got to walk through the streets of Surry Hills for the first time on my way to the SCG. Experiencing the hustle and bustle of the city, seeing people wearing the colours of the team that I supported and then to watch Plugger kick six goals in front of a big crowd and beat Gaz Ablett Snr. It was a pure sensory overload. I was well and truly hooked.

4. Favourite players (current)?

Buddy for his showtime and aura. Parker for his toughness, skill and ability. Next Gen, Rowbottom.

5. Favourite players (all time)?

Swans players: Paul Kelly, Plugger, Macca, Bud
Old swans players: Cappaaaaaaa! Bobby Skilts
AFL players: Gaz Ablett Jnr and I hate to admit it but Cyril Rioli. I hated the Hawks, But, just admired his natural skill and speed.

6. Favourite Swans memories?

My first attended game Round 14, 1996. Watching the 1996 prelim with my Nan. Seeing Plugger kick big bags and then kick the 1300th. Jumping up and down on the coffee table with all my family watching (and now cheering) when Nick Davis kicked his 4 last quarter goals in that famous finals game. 2005 and 2012 GF. Best recent crowd feeling was the Swans vs Essendon Round 14, 2017 game. Mark! Mark! Mark! Rohan. It is unbelievable! I thought we had zero chance of winning that game in the last quarter. I was jumping around like it was 2005!

7. Where were you for the 2005 GF?

After watching the Nick Davis final and convincing my rugby league die hard family to do so as well. They all decided to sit and watch another game with me in the family room. That being the 05 Grand Final. I was a nervous mess all game. I had pains in my stomach from anxiety and must admit after the euphoria of watching Leo Barry take that mark I went to my room and just started crying for a few moments. I don't know why. I guess it was just a massive release of emotion. I collected myself and walked back into the family room pretending I had just gone to the toilet. Mum knew what was up though and later that night gave me a big smile and huge hug and told me how happy she was for me and how special the day was for me. From that day on I have been able to take my parents to a game each year and they are now proud swans supporters.

8. Favourite piece of Swans memorabilia that you own?

It's not memorabilia. Its a memory.

I always remember seeing this older kid with curly hair at high school walking around bouncing a Sherrin in between classes. He was a few years older than me and after a while I realised he was in my sisters grade. I convinced my sisters boyfriend at the time to let me join in and play kick to kick with his small group of friends one lunchtime. Having never played AFL, my kicking technique wasn't sound but I did pretty well and held my own. I just remember how excited I was to kick a footy and engage in small talk about the game with someone who was equally obsessed as I was. I instantly could tell he was very good... He was kicking low 30 meter darts across the playground with ease. I then watched that same bloke get drafted a couple of years later to the Swans. Debut, loose all his hair like myself, develop his game, become co-captain of the club, lift up the trophy in 2012 and then retire last year as a legend of the football club.

He probably never remembers that schoolyard moment. But for myself, a young kid who grew up so deprived of any social interaction around the game and who had zero friends interested in AFL. To be able to kick a real sherrin and talk footy with someone who then goes on to become a legend of the club you have supported your whole life. It's a pretty priceless memory.

Spike54

Draftee
Feb 26, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
Hi all, have been lurking on here for a couple of years now.
I remember starting following the Swans in the early 80's and remember seeing seeing capper in the reserves in the 'fly in days' God we were awful. I won't name names but I remember seeing one of our players playing on after the siren one time in front of goal, It didn't cost us the game of course because we weren't even close. Once when we were playing Hawthorn in front of 5 000 people the Hawthorn cheer squad changed ends each quarter to be at the scoring end to see Mathews score his 400th goal. They just pushed us aside. Once Carltons banner was classic, it had pacmen gobbling up swans with the writing 'Sydney, Start Packing'
The crowd figures were a joke 6-8000 was surely counting individual legs.
Went to a pre-season practice game once and the boys were changing in a shipping container.
I only left early once and that was when Carlton kicked 9 goals in the first quarter so I went to a pub.
I was around the club during the Barry Round, Ricky Quade incident and used to go to the Catholic Club after the games.
I could go on about the bad old days but then Hafey and Williams came and it was the most exciting time. Sellouts, Goals, consecutive 100 point wins, It was the biggest show in town.
I Saw the semi final in 96 against Hawthorn when Lockett didn't come up. Fantastic game, went from 40000 crowd straight into the Sydney football stadium for St George V Canberra. Great weekend. St, George Red and white too.
I got a letter from Geoffrey Edelstein in a gold embossed envelope around the time he took over the club. When I opened it all that was there was newspaper clippings of what a good guy he was.
I love the club and watched the 2016 GF from an Irish pub in Paris. Ah don't mind sharing the success around.
Oh and I never got a free ticket which was a rumour during the dark days

1. Where are you from? Melbourne/Sydney
2. Why did you start supporting the Swans? Looking for a team to support when stationed with the Army in Sydney
3. How long have you been supporting the Swans? since 1981-2
4. Favourite players (current)? Tom Papley, Heeney, Parker , Kennedy, Cunningham
5. Favourite players (all time)? Williams, Carter, Rys-Jones, Paul Kelly, O'Laughlan, Goodes,
6. Favourite Swans memories? The excitement of the Hafey era
7. Where were you for the 2005 GF? In my brothers back Yard, I was only recently divorced and I got smashed.
8. Favourite piece of Swans memorabilia that you own? Signed Jumper from 2004, one year too early :) Selfie with Bob Skilton
9. Unluckiest Player Brett Scott Only played when Williams was suspended.

I remember starting following the Swans in the early 80's and remember seeing seeing capper in the reserves in the 'fly in days' God we were awful. I won't name names but I remember seeing one of our players playing on after the siren one time in front of goal, It didn't cost us the game of course because we weren't even close. Once when we were playing Hawthorn in front of 5 000 people the Hawthorn cheer squad changed ends each quarter to be at the scoring end to see Mathews score his 400th goal. They just pushed us aside. Once Carltons banner was classic, it had pacmen gobbling up swans with the writing 'Sydney, Start Packing'
Went to a pre-season practice game once and the boys were changing in a shipping container.
I only left early once and that was when Carlton kicked 9 goals in the first quarter so I went to a pub.
I was around the club during the Barry Round, Ricky Quade incident and used to go to the Catholic Club after the games.
I could go on about the bad old days but then Hafey and Williams came and it was the most exciting time. Sellouts, Goals, consecutive 100 point wins, It was the biggest show in town.
I Saw the semi final in 96 against Hawthorn when Lockett didn't come up. Fantastic game, went from 40000 crowd straight into the Sydney football stadium for St George V Canberra. Great weekend. St, George Red and white too.
I got a letter from Geoffrey Edelstein in a gold embossed envelope around the time he took over the club. When I opened it all that was there was newspaper clippings of what a good guy he was.
I love the club and watched the 2016 GF from an Irish pub in Paris. Ah don't mind sharing the success around.

2. Why did you start supporting the Swans? Looking for a team to support when stationed with the Army in Sydney
4. Favourite players (current)? Tom Papley, Heeney, Parker , Kennedy, Cunningham
5. Favourite players (all time)? Williams, Carter, Rys-Jones, Paul Kelly, O'Laughlan, Goodes,
7. Where were you for the 2005 GF? In my brothers back Yard, I was only recently divorced and I got smashed.
8. Favourite piece of Swans memorabilia that you own? Signed Jumper from 2004, one year too early :) Selfie with Bob Skilton
Welcome. :)

bungee

Inside Mid
Aug 16, 2006
Sussex
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans

WELCOME.

I'm also from both Melbourne and Sydney but my journey was Melbourne/Hobart/Sydney/London/Amsterdam/Brussels and I'm now living in the English countryside.

Was the Irish pub in Paris off the Champs-Élysée ?

I once spent a fortnight by myself in a gorgeous 5-star boutique hotel on the Champs-Élysée, attending a conference for work. There was an Irish bar down the road where I'd often go for a drink. The Irish barman and I were chatting one night. "I've always wanted to live in Australia" he sighed wistfully. "So what's stopping you ?, I asked. "Oh, it's outside the circle of Guiness" he replied. "What's the circle of Guiness ?" I asked curiously. He looked at me like "how do you not know this fundamental physical law of the universe ?" As if speaking to a child he replied "It's a circle whose radius is the distance Guiness can be shipped from the St James Gate brewery in Dublin without substantially degrading its quality". "But we have Guiness in Australia", I replied. He gave me a pitying look.

It was only when I visited Dublin as an adult that I got to test this "fundamental axiom of Guiness" for myself. Accompanied by an English girl I'd met on the plane, we slowly made our way up to the Guiness Brewery, stopping to sample a pint or two in several tourist thronged bars. It certainly seemed that as we neared the brewery the quality improved, almost with every metre closer. So perhaps he was right after all. Either that or I was slowly getting pissed.

Last edited:

RampeRobe

All Australian
Feb 20, 2021
AFL Club
Sydney
Hi All!
Long time lurker that has finally decided to sign up and contribute! Big fan of the passion, fire and sarcasm of this board and hoping to add to this!

1. Where are you from?
Melbourne

2. Why did you start supporting the Swans?
Dad & his dad.
3. How long have you been supporting the Swans?
27 years (since birth)
Dane Rampe, Luke Parker

JPK, ROK, LRT, Grundy, Paul Kelly, Malceski

2012 GF With the old boy, Goal after siren v Essendon (Gaz), any win against Essendon/Collingwood

Little 12 year old with a painted face at the MCG.

A staple in my Dad’s shed that my mother somehow let me choose for his birthday one year, a lovely lady with a fair rig and rather large appendages with a Sydney jersey and shorts just painted on.

Hi All!
Long time lurker that has finally decided to sign up and contribute! Big fan of the passion, fire and sarcasm of this board and hoping to add to this!

1. Where are you from?
Melbourne

2. Why did you start supporting the Swans?
Dad & his dad.
3. How long have you been supporting the Swans?
27 years (since birth)
Dane Rampe, Luke Parker

JPK, ROK, LRT, Grundy, Paul Kelly, Malceski

2012 GF With the old boy, Goal after siren v Essendon (Gaz), any win against Essendon/Collingwood

Little 12 year old with a painted face at the MCG.

A staple in my Dad’s shed that my mother somehow let me choose for his birthday one year, a lovely lady with a fair rig and rather large appendages with a Sydney jersey and shorts just painted on.
Welcome! I look forward to reading some of your passion, fire and sarcasm

Remove this Banner Ad

Back