Autopsy Swans lose to Fremantle by 1 point - Round 18

Remove this Banner Ad

So looking ahead, if not forward to the Cats next week, I wonder what changes to the line up are under review.

Will any miss because of injury? Allir was proppy in the second half. Any News?

Possible Ins- Rose, Jack, Buddy, Dawson, Pink, Cunningham, Wicks

Possible Outs - Hayward, Florent, AA, Stoddard, Melican

Geelong are in fair form. Their mids are in good form and bat deep. Their rucks are shorter than Sandi and Darcy. Hopefully they cop a bruising in a hard game v the Dawks today.

I think our best chance is run and gun. Our glaring weakness is composure. To be fair on Horse et al composure is not highly rated. This is why this match will be named the Gary Rohan Cup.

Anyway I am predicting Horse will want

ins, Jack, Dawson
Outs Stoddard and Florent

So looking ahead, if not forward to the Cats next week, I wonder what changes to the line up are under review.

Will any miss because of injury? Allir was proppy in the second half. Any News?

Possible Ins- Rose, Jack, Buddy, Dawson, Pink, Cunningham, Wicks

Possible Outs - Hayward, Florent, AA, Stoddard, Melican

Geelong are in fair form. Their mids are in good form and bat deep. Their rucks are shorter than Sandi and Darcy. Hopefully they cop a bruising in a hard game v the Dawks today.

I think our best chance is run and gun. Our glaring weakness is composure. To be fair on Horse et al composure is not highly rated. This is why this match will be named the Gary Rohan Cup.

Anyway I am predicting Horse will want

ins, Jack, Dawson
Outs Stoddard and Florent

Blakey, Florent and Hayward all look like they need a stint in the NEAFL. Doing them no favours playing them in the seniors and just prolonging their form slump and sapping their confidence.

Rose (unlucky to be dropped in first place) for Hayward as a half forward.

Dawson (was best 22 before suspension) for Florent on the wing.

Amartey (most in-form forward in reserves) for Blakey inside 50.

Stoddart gets another crack because why not, we’re 14th.

Blakey, Florent and Hayward all look like they need a stint in the NEAFL. Doing them no favours playing them in the seniors and just prolonging their form slump and sapping their confidence.

Agree re above points esp re Stoddard. Did well when he had the ball. Why not instruct other backs to free him up to use his run and disposal skills. Do not think we should yoyo young players

Amazing seeing the “game plan” brigade bloodletting about skill errors.

Looked to me like the instruction was to run the ball in numbers and just go for it. Well we rolled the dice and lost. That’s ok.

McLean won himself an extension.

I thought Clarke was good.

Stoddart needs to believe he belongs.

Blakey is having a great first year, gaining in confidence. No way I'd be dropping him

Florent has been okay.

Hayward is out of form and could use a couple of weeks off. Agree that Rose was unlucky to be dropped

It was difficult to watch all those entries into the 50 not being converted into any scores

Still, im happy to see them playing like this and developing for the future. This is a very young team

Blakey is having a great first year, gaining in confidence. No way I'd be dropping him

Florent has been okay.

Hayward is out of form and could use a couple of weeks off. Agree that Rose was unlucky to be dropped

There’d be no shame in Blakey having a stint in the NEAFL. As you said he’s had a great first year, but I disagree that he’s gaining in confidence. He’s not quite pulling off those moments of poise that he was earlier in the year. Most of his possessions since the Hawthorn game have been scrappy ones. Still trying his guts out but for a kid whose game is based around his class and skill he hasn’t shown much of either lately, so I don’t see how he’d be gaining confidence from soldiering on despite playing buggered.

There’d be no shame in Blakey having a stint in the NEAFL. As you said he’s had a great first year, but I disagree that he’s gaining in confidence. He’s not quite pulling off those moments of poise that he was earlier in the year. Most of his possessions since the Hawthorn game have been scrappy ones. Still trying his guts out but for a kid whose game is based around his class and skill he hasn’t shown much of either lately, so I don’t see how he’d be gaining confidence from soldiering on despite playing buggered.

No way i'd drop Blakey on form. His form has been good. The way he takes the game on and goes for a run says to me his confidence is high and he feels he belongs

There is a case to rest some of the younger guys at this end of the season though, as their bodies would be feeling it

Too annoyed to say anything other than ... **** Fremantle. I know it comes off as irrational hatred but if people knew half the **** this mob did that the public don’t know about they’d understand it. I’ll deal with us later but for now I’m going to wallow in the loss to this disgrace of a club
Must say, I’m intrigued.

No way i'd drop Blakey on form. His form has been good. The way he takes the game on and goes for a run says to me his confidence is high and he feels he belongs

There is a case to rest some of the younger guys at this end of the season though, as their bodies would be feeling it

And yet that was pretty much all he did. A whoooole lot of ball-watching, hands-on-knees stuff even when the play was no more than 20 metres away. He was knackered more than any other Swan out there by a long long way. Hell, he might not even need the NEAFL, just manage him for a week. We have nothing to lose for the rest of this season so why bother trying to squeeze every drop out of a first-year player? He’s got nothing to prove IMO.

I also think it’s only fair Amartey gets his chance. He’s been nudging the door down, if not banging it down, in the reserves, and as good as Blakey has been, is there anything he’s offering with his one or two highlights a game that Amartey couldn’t?

And yet that was pretty much all he did. A whoooole lot of ball-watching, hands-on-knees stuff even when the play was no more than 20 metres away. He was knackered more than any other Swan out there by a long long way. Hell, he might not even need the NEAFL, just manage him for a week. We have nothing to lose for the rest of this season so why bother trying to squeeze every drop out of a first-year player? He’s got nothing to prove IMO.

I also think it’s only fair Amartey gets his chance. He’s been nudging the door down, if not banging it down, in the reserves, and as good as Blakey has been, is there anything he’s offering with his one or two highlights a game that Amartey couldn’t?

Isn't Amartey a Forward/ruck player? Why would you replace Blakey with Amartey?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thought Clarke did well in nullifying Hill and in winning his own ball. His disposal gets a pass. I expect he is taking a fraction more time. This may have helped. He will be needed next week v the Cats.

clarke was on walters a lot

Clarke made just about no errors and is still getting s**t on

he went at 72% mostly uncontested had 3 big turnovers and his mistakes led to 2 goals in a close one

he is a limited player, he played within those limitations a lot which is a tick, but he just isnt very good, imo

id like to invest time into players who will make it

Maybe it’s McCartin who should make way? Seems to cover a lot of ground but doesn’t seem to have much idea about where to be.

Lloyd had it 42 times...don’t know how many were kick outs, it seemed he made some really poor decions around the ground with his disposal...not to mention a really gettable one that probably wins it. Love to know how the club rates that performance.
Comparing Lloyd's 42 touches to McDonald-Tipungwuti's 13 of pure attack on Friday shows just how overrated stats can be.

Maybe it’s McCartin who should make way? Seems to cover a lot of ground but doesn’t seem to have much idea about where to be.

Yeah I wouldn’t be against that either. McCartin’s been a bit out of sorts, although he’s been moved around a lot and I’d be willing to persist with him because he found it a lot easier to compete than Blakey who was in struggle town. But again that’s just how I saw things, might’ve looked like a world-beater to others

The last 3 weeks have shown just how vital Callum Sinclair has been to the side functioning. He's never been or going to be a star but he's shouldered so much work over the last 2 years and we're significantly worse without him. We need to upgrade from him at the end of this year, I think we'd all agree on that, but I think it's worth mentioning that without him we're substantially worse.

Melican hasn’t improved at all this year :(

I disagree, he hasn't improved as much as I hoped he would, but his play with ball in hand is steadily improving and he's much better defensively than he was at the start of the year. Not quite to the level of 2017 probably, but he's also playing on better forwards each week than he was that year. He still has a long way to go, but I think he's improved moderately as the year has gone on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back