Autopsy Swans lose to Fremantle by 1 point - Round 18

For a brief moment I thought a spectator had stolen Melican's guernsey and was on the field.

I assume that's what it would look like if The King! actually took to the field.

For a brief moment I thought a spectator had stolen Melican's guernsey and was on the field.

I assume that's what it would look like if The King! actually took to the field.

Why pick on me geez

Wolfgang West

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 22, 2009
melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
And yet that was pretty much all he did. A whoooole lot of ball-watching, hands-on-knees stuff even when the play was no more than 20 metres away. He was knackered more than any other Swan out there by a long long way. Hell, he might not even need the NEAFL, just manage him for a week. We have nothing to lose for the rest of this season so why bother trying to squeeze every drop out of a first-year player? He’s got nothing to prove IMO.

I also think it’s only fair Amartey gets his chance. He’s been nudging the door down, if not banging it down, in the reserves, and as good as Blakey has been, is there anything he’s offering with his one or two highlights a game that Amartey couldn’t?

No he wasn't. McCartin was on par with him. Great Talent that boy and still a baby but he seriously needs to get busy with his fitness if he is going to be the player he looks capable of. He looked exactly the same last night as he did against GWS Last Year in that Final. Like Blakey hands on Knees a lot of the time and useless at ground ball contests because he was gassed very early in the game. Love Tom but when it comes to fitness a clone of his brother all be it very different body shapes.

Wolfgang West

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 22, 2009
melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
The last 3 weeks have shown just how vital Callum Sinclair has been to the side functioning. He's never been or going to be a star but he's shouldered so much work over the last 2 years and we're significantly worse without him. We need to upgrade from him at the end of this year, I think we'd all agree on that, but I think it's worth mentioning that without him we're substantially worse.

The Bloke is a good honest footballer who works his arse off. Even if we had Brody Grundy he would still be in my side. What he has done over the last 2 Years for a bloke going pretty much 1 out against Monster size First rucks has been Fantastic.

No he wasn't. McCartin was on par with him. Great Talent that boy and still a baby but he seriously needs to get busy with his fitness if he is going to be the player he looks capable of. He looked exactly the same last night as he did against GWS Last Year in that Final. Like Blakey hands on Knees a lot of the time and useless at ground ball contests because he was gassed very early in the game. Love Tom but when it comes to fitness a clone of his brother all be it very different body shapes.

Fair enough. It was my first time seeing both of them live, so I can really only comment on what I saw last night. I guess Blakey's fitness (or lack thereof) stood out to me more but agree, McCartin also has ways to go. No shame in that but we can't be surprised that our forward line is dysfunctional at the minute with an 18, 19 and 20 year old running around there (including Hayward). They all need multiple massive pre-seasons before I think we're gonna be able to fairly assess what they can really do. What shits me is that lately they've had very limited opportunities and then when they've had them they've stuffed most of them.

SGBeach

Premiership Player
Jul 19, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
Fair enough. It was my first time seeing both of them live, so I can really only comment on what I saw last night. I guess Blakey's fitness (or lack thereof) stood out to me more but agree, McCartin also has ways to go. No shame in that but we can't be surprised that our forward line is dysfunctional at the minute with an 18, 19 and 20 year old running around there (including Hayward). They all need multiple massive pre-seasons before I think we're gonna be able to fairly assess what they can really do. What s**ts me is that lately they've had very limited opportunities and then when they've had them they've stuffed most of them.
yep.. if those three kicked straight the last 3 weeks (they've kicked a combined total of 3 goals 13!) we sit on 9 wins in 8th or 9th spot

SGBeach

Premiership Player
Jul 19, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
To Who ? A Super Rules Side ?
To Who??? thats the question! Thats why I started writing here. Does anybody know?
Im guessing we will try and trade players in..
Tom Cutler - pick 45ish?
21 yo mid who's not getting a run at his club eg Sier - pick 35ish?
Langdon, Jack Martin ??

Wolfgang West

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 22, 2009
melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
To Who??? thats the question! Thats why I started writing here. Does anybody know?
Im guessing we will try and trade players in..
Tom Cutler - pick 45ish?
21 yo mid who's not getting a run at his club eg Sier - pick 35ish?
Langdon, Jack Martin ??

Tongue In Cheek I was saying nobody would take Menzel. Sier would be a good get I think.

bertamcberta

Debutant
Jul 1, 2018
AFL Club
Sydney
You are cutting Papley too much slack. So Florent, Hayward & Heeney were average because they weren’t in form, but Papley was average because he had to do everything?…
Pretty much nailed it.

Paps shouldn’t get off so easily. Some poor decisions & the others were not so bad. Hayward, in particular, is on the way back (just don’t go for hero marks in the last minute).

Back