Autopsy Swans lose to Fremantle by 1 point - Round 18

Remove this Banner Ad

He has only been mediocre the last two seasons imo. 14-15 he was developing well and was our best user going inside 50, 16-17 he was moved to defence and was way better than what he is currently showing. The only reason I am pi**ed off with him at all is because he won a B&F for his chipping playstyle, which was a bad call, a reflection of the coaching staff and what they like to see, and encourages that playstyle even more.
Then by all means have a go at the coaches, the game plan, etc. Don't bag the player who is doing the team thing. At least he's getting his hands on the ******* ball

Pretty much nailed it.

Paps shouldn’t get off so easily. Some poor decisions & the others were not so bad. Hayward, in particular, is on the way back (just don’t go for hero marks in the last minute).

No, that's everything that's wrong with the team. They get their winning mentality coached out of them. Players should be going for hero marks and trying to win the game. Sometimes it doesnt work out - well you have to start somewhere.

I've been very critical of Hayward but that's the type of game style that will pay dividends in the future.

You are cutting Papley too much slack. So Florent, Hayward & Heeney were average because they weren’t in form, but Papley was average because he had to do everything?

Not how I saw it, he was just poor! Plain and simple. Same as the rest. Made dumb decisions and couldn’t execute the simplest of skills. Should of had his first goal under his belt in the first five or so minutes but a simple dropped mark basically set the tone for our night skill-wise. Then nearly everything he touched after that turned to ****.

I don’t like singling out youngsters but if we’re gonna roast them then one of the youngsters in our leadership group should be fair play too.

Fair enough - he should have looked before hoiking those balls to the front of the square. But it's still were you'd expect a FF or SOMEBODY FFS to be!
Maybe he's feeling the pressure of playing for the biggest payday of his career.... Maybe he just had a shite game. In any case the commentators referred to him as the form small fwd in the game (as in the AFL), so he must be doing something right.

Would have to be you would think. Unlike a player who constantly gets it and butchers it it's a lot more concerning when a player who has all the attributes is Invisible. Hayward is doing a better Gary Rohan impersonation than Gary Rohan.

A bit unfair. Hayward has taken some time since returning from a busted jaw. It clearly has affected his confidence, but he is a tough kid.

Rohan, after an early display of ‘where did this come from?’ has slunk back to the hole he used to disappear into.

In short: Hayward on the up. Rohan on the way down that hole.

No he wasn't. McCartin was on par with him. Great Talent that boy and still a baby but he seriously needs to get busy with his fitness if he is going to be the player he looks capable of. He looked exactly the same last night as he did against GWS Last Year in that Final. Like Blakey hands on Knees a lot of the time and useless at ground ball contests because he was gassed very early in the game. Love Tom but when it comes to fitness a clone of his brother all be it very different body shapes.

Distance kings – average distance covered per match

1. Tom McCartin: 14.70km per match
2. Jake Lloyd: 14.48km per match
3. Ryan Clarke: 14.44km per match

Distance kings – single-match records for 2019

1. Ryan Clarke: 17.28km v North Melbourne, round nine
2. Ryan Clarke: 16.95km v West Coast, round 12
3. Tom McCartin: 16.17km v Melbourne, round four

McCartin’s problem is not his fitness. His problem is he runs around like a headless chook and he can’t kick.

I hope to see these changes this week. Need to manage Blakey and McCartin as our two of our best young players, No footy at all for them this week. Off to Yoga or whatever for them.
Florent can go and find a bit of form. McLean was good - but hasn't the tank to last a full game in the ruck atm - let's see what Grassy has got to help him out. Mclean and Amartey can take turns minding Hawkins.

Out: Florent, Mcartin (r), Blakey(r), Melican
In: Rose, Amartey, Knoll, Dawson

But we don't seem to load manage anyone so expecting to see Blakey and McCartin run into the ground and injured by the end of the year.

I love how full ****** this board goes after a loss.

Some of the swans passages of play last night were absolutely mint.

Especially off half back.

Big Gez in the comm box thought so as well.

I agree that it was quite refreshing to see some coast to coast counter attacks. You could clearly see the players attack through the corridore with more intent. The linkup handball chains from defensive 50 where they ran in a wave forward and broke the zone is something I haven't noticed for a while and resulted in a goal. Need a ruck, another key defender and a decent mid and 2020 could look vastly different to 2019 for the Swans.

A bit unfair. Hayward has taken some time since returning from a busted jaw. It clearly has affected his confidence, but he is a tough kid.

Rohan, after an early display of ‘where did this come from?’ has slunk back to the hole he used to disappear into.

In short: Hayward on the up. Rohan on the way down that hole.

It's tongue in cheek. Of Course I would rather have Hayward for the future instead of Rohan but lets call a spade a spade he is as starving as Balinese street Mongrel at the moment.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have a feeling he will be given another crack because he is a need. Recruited for a specific role so they will role the dice next year and hope ho somehow fits the need. He hasn't been hopeless but far from convincing.
Im hoping we trade in Cutler from Brizzy to fill that role

Have a feeling he will be given another crack because he is a need. Recruited for a specific role so they will role the dice next year and hope ho somehow fits the need. He hasn't been hopeless but far from convincing.
I agree, there’s something there and we’re losing players in the backline faster than we can recruit/draft them.

Fair enough - he should have looked before hoiking those balls to the front of the square. But it's still were you'd expect a FF or SOMEBODY FFS to be!
Maybe he's feeling the pressure of playing for the biggest payday of his career.... Maybe he just had a s**t game. In any case the commentators referred to him as the form small fwd in the game (as in the AFL), so he must be doing something right.

For sure, he's had a good year Paps. But he's not looked the same since the bye. It really could not've come at a worse time for some of our Swans. Reminds me of last year when our players just started hitting their strides then came out after the bye rusty as **** and we tumbled down the ladder.

RoCo is one of the best footy heads out there and he's usually very supporting and approving of the Swans and all we do, so I'm glad he's firing some shots our way. We're not above it.

But in fairness, our forwards have had a plethora of opportunities over the last month and just lacked the composure to finish their hard work off. Not much Horse can do about that. Papley, Hayward, McCartin, Blakey etc just need to seize the moment more, something that will probably come with experience.

RoCo is one of the best footy heads out there and he's usually very supporting and approving of the Swans and all we do, so I'm glad he's firing some shots our way. We're not above it.

But in fairness, our forwards have had a plethora of opportunities over the last month and just lacked the composure to finish their hard work off. Not much Horse can do about that. Papley, Hayward, McCartin, Blakey etc just need to seize the moment more, something that will probably come with experience.
Plethora of opportunities or plethora of entries? Delivery is a problem, marking is an other. Hayward can’t kick, Menzel can. So many problems that it’s not funny. Someone kicks 7 and you want him to work to back half, someone jags a contested goal and you (not you) turn him into a midfielder. Blakey can’t bounce, Papley doesn’t look...not the coach’s fault? Who else teaches skills or devises strategies? s**t, I’ve added a little more here but feel free to respond.

Plethora of opportunities or plethora of entries? Delivery is a problem, marking is an other. Hayward can’t kick, Menzel can. So many problems that it’s not funny. Someone kicks 7 and you want him to work to back half, someone jags a contested goal and you (not you) turn him into a midfielder. Blakey can’t bounce, Papley doesn’t look...not the coach’s fault? Who else teaches skills or devises strategies? s**t, I’ve added a little more here but feel free to respond.

You're right that the coach does contribute to the team's skills, or lack thereof. I do think Horse is not a good skills coach, and the fact we've only had like two elite users of the pill in his whole tenure is proof of that. But to say it's purely because of the coach would be wrong. Because the greatest skills coach in the world wouldn't be able to stop young players from just lacking composure under the pressure. I think the last few weeks with our forwards have been more a case of that than the coach's influence.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back