Autopsy Swans lose to Saints, Round 9 2020

Dubsforsam1

Team Captain
Apr 5, 2009
AFL Club
Sydney
It's not our job to name these players? We are not being paid (presumably) six figures to identify talent, lure them to the club and then get games into them. That is the list management staff at our club's responsibility. They are the ones out there knowing every player in the comp and whether they're happy at their current club, whether they're any good, whether they'd suit our club or not etc. All we on this board can do is throw out hypotheticals and fantasy recruits. When you hear Beatson say the club had kept an eye on Clarke for 3 years despite the fact he can't kick or handball, then they lose the right to have blind faith from the supporters.

But to act as if it's not the club's fault that these players haven't worked out is I think naive. We get a lot of things right and we get some things wrong, if we were a perfectly run club we'd win every flag every year.
You have to realise that every player we are trying to get in we are effectively either asking them to take a paycut or pay them more than offered elsewhere due to the cost of living as well as moving away from family and friends.
How many players do you think want to take paycuts?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

didn't he just slip over?

100% I talked about it on the Saints autopsy thread (by accident actually) and when I told them he slipped a few actually conceded it was a slip but you cry wolf enough this is what happens.

The sudden outrage is down to one campaigner at Hawthorn and the sheep including fox footy in general are all on board.

Clarkson knows what he is doing when he does this after a swans loss.

You have to realise that every player we are trying to get in we are effectively either asking them to take a paycut or pay them more than offered elsewhere due to the cost of living as well as moving away from family and friends.
How many players do you think want to take paycuts?

I am not denying trading is difficult, particularly as an interstate club, but look at what other interstate clubs have achieved... Brisbane, Gold Coast, Fremantle... they've found recruits who have worked for them even if they are not world-beaters. Blokes like Clarke, Gray, Taylor, Thurlow etc are still list spots that could've been used elsewhere. Like the draft for example. If there was no one out there we deemed worthy, use the picks at the draft instead and just improve our young talent. Don't just pick up a dud, then force yourself into playing him because he's experienced.

So you have never played footy ? in a footy club?
Which fantasy side wins more than a 3 peat in your lifetime?

Trolling?

My point is that obviously there are issues at the club, like there would be at the 17 other clubs in the competition, but to say so on here is like you've shot Bambi.

We are 17th on the ladder at 3-6 with the second-worst percentage in the league, but everything's fine, no one is to blame and how dare I suggest otherwise!

Dubsforsam1

Team Captain
Apr 5, 2009
AFL Club
Sydney
I am not denying trading is difficult, particularly as an interstate club, but look at what other interstate clubs have achieved... Brisbane, Gold Coast, Fremantle... they've found recruits who have worked for them even if they are not world-beaters. Blokes like Clarke, Gray, Taylor, Thurlow etc are still list spots that could've been used elsewhere. Like the draft for example. If there was no one out there we deemed worthy, use the picks at the draft instead and just improve our young talent. Don't just pick up a dud, then force yourself into playing him because he's experienced.
Cost of living in Sydney especially Eastern Suburbs is far more expensive than Queensland/Fremantle and when your team is full of draft picks etc it is easier to spend large sums on the likes of Ellis/Neale/Cameron etc but when you don't have large cap space due to Franklin etc its far more difficult

My point is that obviously there are issues at the club, like there would be at the 17 other clubs in the competition, but to say so on here is like you've shot Bambi.

We are 17th on the ladder at 3-6 with the second-worst percentage in the league, but everything's fine, no one is to blame and how dare I suggest otherwise!

Yes but your idea is trade away our best pick we will have since what McVeigh (pick 3) in decades for "experience". We need elite talent. There is a reason clubs won't trade good players unless they are forced. Why are we going after crabs, just hit the draft for 2-3-4 seasons and we will get there. The slow and steady will win the race here.

Yes but your idea is trade away our best pick we will have since what McVeigh (pick 3) in decades for "experience". We need elite talent. There is a reason clubs won't trade good players unless they are forced. Why are we going after crabs, just hit the draft for 2-3-4 seasons and we will get there. The slow and steady will win the race here.

No, I said if our pick is after 5 (in which case all the "elite" ones in Hollands, Phillips and Thilthorpe will be gone) then we should trade it for A or B grade experience. I have always said that if we end up with a pick inside the top five, that unless a genuine A grader is available to trade in, take it to the draft and get the best kid available.

Cost of living in Sydney especially Eastern Suburbs is far more expensive than Queensland/Fremantle and when your team is full of draft picks etc it is easier to spend large sums on the likes of Ellis/Neale/Cameron etc but when you don't have large cap space due to Franklin etc its far more difficult

Yep.....

No, I said if our pick is after 5 (in which case all the "elite" ones in Hollands, Phillips and Thilthorpe will be gone) then we should trade it for A or B grade experience. I have always said that if we end up with a pick inside the top five, that unless a genuine A grader is available to trade in, take it to the draft and get the best kid available.

Inside the first 12, you should take it to the draft unless there is that tier 1 player available. There isn't. How do you recon Melbourne feel trading away the rights to Josh Kelly lol...that worked out!

Inside the first 12, you should take it to the draft unless there is that tier 1 player available. There isn't. How do you recon Melbourne feel trading away the rights to Josh Kelly lol...that worked out!

First twelve maybe in 2001 or 2018 sure.

This year, every player outside of Phillips, Hollands, Thilthorpe and Campbell would not even be first round selections in most other draft years IMO.

Corpuscles

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 3, 2006
Lunatic Park
AFL Club
Sydney

Yes how dare you.?

How dare you think YOU know how to fix your exaggerated incorrect fantasy.

Sydney SWANS the best (Numero uno) record of making finals (top 8), 3rd most premierships, in the last 25 years?

But over to you..... longmire kicking handballs set ups ..... nah you're a genius...

....looking forward to your podcast.

I will pay $ to advertise (real), if you are not totally full of s**t?

Jan 13, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Everyone frames their arguement to suit them, you just have yourself by saying he is not a key forward but a utility, you just agree with the people who speak positively about him

So Reid is not our key forward? then at this stage of his career that is not good enough,and if he is the key forwardI expect him to perform and take on that role, I.e take that kick for goal at the cruicial stage, which he can actually kick, not pass to dawson

I dont see him as a utility, you do.

You are clearly a smart footballer watcher, what should the expectation from him be? should i expect him to take more marks than Papley per game? should his stats be above Roughead? do I have to observe everyone elses performance and presume Reid affects that?

For what its worth I think he is a super talented player, I would accept my criticism is too often for some, thats a fair arguement, but I think he is held by some to a significantly lower standard, than other players at the same club and league wide.

I tell you what I expect, him to out perform Papley in marks per game over their careers, him to kick more goals, stop dropping marks and to out perform say Roughead 2019 statistically. I also expect him to average the most goals per game at the club

Id also like to not go down the endless Reid discussion thread, though I engaged first, but I am quite positive mostly about yesterday
You know what I expect? Every player, not just Reid, contribute as best they can to the side’s success. In whatever way they can.

You have this 1970s set of KPIs when it comes to Reid. Mark. Goal. When other valuables are pointed out to you you sneer at them. But they’re valuable. Reid is a key reason why we were one of the most efficient attacks last season. Despite Hayward’s yips.

Reid contributes so many effective tap ons, effective blocks, effective knocks out of packs, effective taps to feet, and still takes the opposition’s best key backman. Papley kicking goals and taking marks isn’t to Reid’s discredit. It’s largely thanks to Reid.

And if you can’t see that, you’re simply blind and wilfully ignorant.

Yes how dare you.?

Sydney SWANS the best (Numero uno) record of making finals (top 8), 3rd most premierships, in the last 25 years?

But over to you..... longmire kicking handballs set ups ..... nah you're a genius...

I will pay $ to advertise (real), if you are not totally full of sh*t?

Christ almighty it's not that serious.

I don't think I know how to fix everything but I have my opinions on how to, and don't mind posting them, nor do I have a go at others for posting theirs, even if I don't agree with them. We all think that our opinions are right otherwise we wouldn't be sharing them.

Reid contributes so many effective tap ons, effective blocks, effective knocks out of packs, effective taps to feet, and still takes the opposition’s best key backman. Papley kicking goals and taking marks isn’t to Reid’s discredit. It’s largely thanks to Reid.

His stats in 2016 when made the grand final (and should have won) are nothing sneer at.

First twelve maybe in 2001 or 2018 sure.

This year, every player outside of Phillips, Hollands, Thilthorpe and Campbell would not even be first round selections in most other draft years IMO.

There’s plenty of depth this year you are selling this draft way short. You are acting like there’s no talent after those players

There’s plenty of depth this year you are selling this draft way short. You are acting like there’s no talent after those players

None that I think will be elite. Just how I see it. I have heard others say it's a very good draft but I can't agree. Granted there's been no footy played which means no chances for any to emerge from nowhere as potential elite candidates, but that's even more reason to not be too hypnotised by this year's draft given the added risk associated with each prospect.

None that I think will be elite. Just how I see it. I have heard others say it's a very good draft but I can't agree. Granted there's been no footy played which means no chances for any to emerge from nowhere as potential elite candidates, but that's even more reason to not be too hypnotised by this year's draft given the added risk associated with each prospect.

That is where we disagree I feel there is a good 10-12 top end talents this year.

You know what I expect? Every player, not just Reid, contribute as best they can to the side’s success. In whatever way they can.

You have this 1970s set of KPIs when it comes to Reid. Mark. Goal. When other valuables are pointed out to you you sneer at them. But they’re valuable. Reid is a key reason why we were one of the most efficient attacks last season. Despite Hayward’s yips.

So Reid is our key forward? isnt he a utility?

ok ill start measuring Reid on the vibe and what others do and judge him differently to every player in the league?

you are just moronic, oh the most efficient forward line last year was due to Reid, who gives a * we came bottom 4, and Reid didnt make the top 10 in the best and fairest despite being one of only 8 to play every game, being at his peak and leading the most efficient forward line whatever the * that means

basically reid plays for sydney so he is great, and them only thing you have to call people ignorant, outdated, blind. or whatever makes you feel like you make sense. the same people who point out his so called qualities will s**t over superior players from other teams as potatoes in the previews each week,

Its all opinions. I dont care if you agree with me, not sure why Reid fan boys care so much that others dont, perhaps its because the majority of footy fans and experts agree with me and think you are full of complete horse s**t

Yes how dare you.?

I will pay $ to advertise (real), if you are not totally full of sh*t?

not that it overly matters but we arent top 3 for premierships in the last 25 years

Corpuscles

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 3, 2006
Lunatic Park
AFL Club
Sydney
Christ almighty it's not that serious.

I don't think I know how to fix everything but I have my opinions on how to, and don't mind posting them, nor do I have a go at others for posting theirs, even if I don't agree with them. We all think that our opinions are right otherwise we wouldn't be sharing them.

Trust ME, you do NOT!
Anything ? ... Nah!
Ideas - Yes
Good ideas - ?
Brain farts = B & F Medalist!

Back