Autopsy Swans lose to Saints, Round 9 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Him more than anyone has missed Franklin not being there if nothing else to mentor him.

Still think we will look back at this season and see it for the season Blakely needed to have. He's hardly the only one having second year syndrome.
Blakey’s body language needs to improve.

On the rare occasion we do see him in the play at present, he looks forlorn when things don’t go his way.

Still think he has enormous upside though. A few pre-seasons in the gym and I reckon he’ll come good.

He plays forward mostly, usually high, with stints in the backline, pinch-hitting in the ruck and playing as a link on the wing. I think that counts as a utility.

Why is it not good enough? Though Reid's career he's had Hall, Tippett, and Franklin as KPFs. In the section he was the key forward target, 2011-2012 he was tracking about what you'd expect for a middle of the road KPF.

Which Roughead? Jarryeayd? Probably not, given Roughead's standing in the game. I'd say something like Lynden Dunn, a working-class Howe, or if you want to talk about retired players, Leigh Brown. All players who bounced around key posts through their career. They're (ignore Howe, he's clearly quite good) not super-stars, but they're not sh*t or liabilities to their teams.

I can't be bothered trawling through years, but there was a write up on here a few years ago at how much better the Swans were at gaining or retaining possession when the ball went to a contest with Reid, and it wasn't insignificant.

I think your issue is that you're setting standards for him as a top-end KPF, when he's a middle of the road player who's been used all over the field.

Which Roughead? He did better than both in 2019 if you compare them.

I won’t drag on the Reid debate I am sure everyone is sick of it, we can take it up in the player thread if we want to keep going

thanks for a reasoned reply though I appreciate the discussion and insights into how you assess his performance

Blakey’s body language needs to improve.

On the rare occasion we do see him in the play at present, he looks forlorn when things don’t go his way.

Still think he has enormous upside though. A few pre-seasons in the gym and I reckon he’ll come good.

Blakey has looked up and about In the first quarter at least the last 3 weeks and I think woo hoo here we go then he seems to have a missed shot, or a bad kick and goes missing for the rest of the game

would love to know how he is around the group in terms of confidence and how his self belief is

Blakey has looked up and about In the first quarter at least the last 3 weeks and I think woo hoo here we go then he seems to have a missed shot, or a bad kick and goes missing for the rest of the game

would love to know how he is around the group in terms of confidence and how his self belief is

I think all of those low possession players who play forward of centre know that their job is to convert when they get the chance. Like hayward last season when they start missing the shots that the team needs i expect that there is a lot of self doubt and egotistical bravado.

Blakey needs to kick a few or get some possessions. so either move him back or he has to kick them

Someone In passing said no swans player had fixed an obvious skill deficiency the other day

but tommy mccartin and his goal kicking seems to have improved out of site from ordinary to a bit of a dead eye, pretty rare
Considering league wide goal kicking seems to be one of the most ordinary skills

Rowbottom under-rated around here IMO. This 'good developing mid' is tracking on par, in some cases better than, some of the best midfielders of the last decade were at the same stage of their career.
I don't think he's under-rated. I think most here would agree he's a gem. Only 19, in his second year and looks like he's been playing for years.

He's just not controversial or out of form so he doesn't get columns.

I don't think he's under-rated. I think most here would agree he's a gem. Only 19, in his second year and looks like he's been playing for years.

He's just not controversial or out of form so he doesn't get columns.

Agreed, but there's a general sentiment that our future midfield doesn't have a single A-grader in it, as though we've already put a ceiling on what our young mids could be.

Agreed, but there's a general sentiment that our future midfield doesn't have a single A-grader in it, as though we've already put a ceiling on what our young mids could be.
It's interesting that Florent gets so much stick on here but all the press coverage in the past few weeks was about how Florent was our up and coming top midfielder. I think Ollie has a lot of upside but I think Rowbottom is going to be the gun player for us. He's fantastic in traffic and has been from the start. A natural inside mid.

Rowbottom? Yeah good point he could be a star

It's interesting that Florent gets so much stick on here but all the press coverage in the past few weeks was about how Florent was our up and coming top midfielder. I think Ollie has a lot of upside but I think Rowbottom is going to be the gun player for us. He's fantastic in traffic and has been from the start. A natural inside mid.

Caeser is going to lift the table up at this rate

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Florent will be a star. Has two very obvious deficiencies he needs to improve on (foot skills and his defensive efforts) if he is to ever be an A-grader. I still think he will iron these out, but I can see why people think he won't.

I don't see such deficiencies in Rowbottom's game so it's odd some have just decided that he won't be the mid that we need him to be.

Haha I have not been too pleased with Florent in recent weeks so he's got one foot on my sh*t-list atm!

He was pretty handy on the weekend imo getting us going in the 2nd and 3rd

He was pretty handy on the weekend imo getting us going in the 2nd and 3rd

He is very impressive the way he seems to respond to poor quarters, gets himself going when in previous years he would've just played out the match in ordinary form. But he is hack-kicking too much of late.

High fellow swans and swanettes....forgive - I haven’t read the above but I’m sure a good throw around discussion was had by all...a game that hurt no doubt and one to leave a scar - good - if it’s used the right way.

I’ve been critical of Longmire in the past, solely because from the outside, it looked like he was turning up for the $’s. Being on the outside, that was my observation. But I think I am changing my mind about his commitment. He seems to have Strong vision & connection with this group and knows what he need to add. That’s all well and good, so could another and cost a lot less (the Horse ain’t cheap) but if those above deem they can afford it, (or they don’t have any option) - than I like where the swans r going and the horse will do for the next two years or whatever it is. And maybe beyond 😣😖😒🤒➡️

Now Punts I know your not a mills in the midfield man, but I like what horse and mills are doing with more learning to come. Mills is never going to a friggin Dangerfield, Mills will be Mills, a smart footballer in any part of the ground, who applies heaps of unnoticed pressure, is a leader, inspireS and knows where the ball is going around stoppages.When swans get back to the finals in the coming years, having the mills Adaptability card Will make a difference. Along with many others. That’s what Horse is building, players across all lines who can play in a number of roles and do it very very well when the team needs it. But so what, he still has to do it. each to their own, but if the swans can snare a quality Young ruckman that is right in front of everyone’s nose and some other quality mids and this group put their head down and work Smart & hard, than I think management will be rewarded....fingers f...n crossed....signing out from the Covid bunker made famous by Some despot ... Go swans

Last edited:
Preuss is really not an answer imo. Doesn't seem to have the tank to be a #1 ruck, and we're already chock full of 2nd rucks
Preuss was never going to dislodge Goldie at North and the same applies now he is at Melbourne. He is a realistic chance for us. Tanks can be gained through hard yakka. Sinclair's best is past him. He tries mighty hard...but his best effort just does not get the job done. Naismith is injury prone and his career is realistically over. Knoll is a first ruck hope...but without any real chance of further development this season due to covid impacted NEAFL comp and McLean is a 2nd ruck forward who needs to share ruck duties and get some quality time on the field in order to develop.Amartey is in the same boat. Agree that our ruck stocks are the worst in the League.We have too many ruckmen who will never play games for us, and the rest who should never be playing games for us.

Preuss was never going to dislodge Goldie at North and the same applies now he is at Melbourne. He is a realistic chance for us. Tanks can be gained through hard yakka. Sinclair's best is past him. He tries mighty hard...but his best effort just does not get the job done. Naismith is injury prone and his career is realistically over. Knoll is a first ruck hope...but without any real chance of further development this season due to covid impacted NEAFL comp and McLean is a 2nd ruck forward who needs to share ruck duties and get some quality time on the field in order to develop.Amartey is in the same boat. Agree that our ruck stocks are the worst in the League.We have too many ruckmen who will never play games for us, and the rest who should never be playing games for us.
Agree with all of that, just don't really rate Preuss that highly from when I've seen him. Agree with some others around here that Ladhams is interesting (good around the ground but average taps = our Sinclair replacement), or I'm also weirdly interested in the idea of Cox (tall & good taps but not great at football = our Naismith replacement).

Agree with all of that, just don't really rate Preuss that highly from when I've seen him. Agree with some others around here that Ladhams is interesting (good around the ground but average taps = our Sinclair replacement), or I'm also weirdly interested in the idea of Cox (tall & good taps but not great at football = our Naismith replacement).
McLean and Amartey need to be given a fair run at it. Big men who break down - clear them out. Our ruck stocks are just woeful. The old man from the Eagles could pull on the boots and towel up our lot. Haven't had this right since our failed Adelaide forward found a way to repay part of the faith.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back