News Swans' Melbourne office returns to Lake Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Good move. Important to keep the relationship with traditional south strong and make us a true two city team

Do your heads really need a city each?

Great news. Received an invite to this years pre season member recognition event and noticed it was to be held down by the lake. A day later this news was released. It has been on the cards for a long time, I know they were waiting for the bottom of the old grandstand to be repaired and converted to office / retail spaces.

Great news. Received an invite to this years pre season member recognition event and noticed it was to be held down by the lake. A day later this news was released. It has been on the cards for a long time, I know they were waiting for the bottom of the old grandstand to be repaired and converted to office / retail spaces.
When we made it to the first final since 1945 in 1970 the club let some of us who were lining up for tickets outside the old ground to sleep in the boardroom. We slept in the boardroom looked down on by the portraits of the great Nash, Pratt and Cazaly. And dreamed dreams of great things to come. We had marched into the finals two games clear of the rest. That year we beat the maggots by one point at the Lake Oval. Men literally threw their hats in the air as McKenna kicked a point after the siren. We were in the finals. We were coached by the fearsome Norm Smith and skippered by the fearless Bobby Skilton. Boundless optimism filled the boardroom that night. Never played a game for South at the Lake Oval but I slept there.

Last edited:
Same here, we will catch up mate.

Same here, we will catch up mate.
Very jealous. Let us know how it goes & enjoy!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When I first read some headline that said the Swans were re-locating to somewhere in Melbourne, I had just woken up and thought we had become a Victorian club. Safe to say it got me out of bed quicker than any job I've ever had.

It's ok Victorians aren't that bad!

When I first read some headline that said the Swans were re-locating to somewhere in Melbourne, I had just woken up and thought we had become a Victorian club. Safe to say it got me out of bed quicker than any job I've ever had.
Here we go, you thought we had become a Victorian club. Just for your info , where do you think we came from !

Last edited:
Found a picture of this painting of the Lakeside Oval online. Such a shame that the game has lost one of the great suburban grounds. I can't understand why the then VFL couldn't find the money to upgrade it, but then if they had we might not have the Swans in Sydney today.

$_57.JPG

Found a picture of this painting of the Lakeside Oval online. Such a shame that the game has lost one of the great suburban grounds. I can't understand why the then VFL couldn't find the money to upgrade it, but then if they had we might not have the Swans in Sydney today.

$_57.JPG
Marvellous. Thanks so much for that. The walk from St Kilda Road with my father after he finished work. Past the lake and the swans. You could hear the roar of the crowd getting closer. Great memories. We didn't have the best team in those days but we had the most beautiful ground.The ground was established in 1862 and the AFL can't pony up a million or two to restore some football history.

$_57.JPG
I have this picture on my kitchen wall, love it.
The umps box on the left is where some in the cheer squad used to sleep on a Friday night to make sure we got the seats behind the goals.
I can tell a few stories out of that ground.
Well done RW

Remove this Banner Ad

Back