Review Swans Mid Season Review

May 9, 2011
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
SMU Mustangs, Matildas
THE GOOD - Being in the 8 was unexpected with a genuine shot at playing finals. Our early rounds when the kids tore it up. Beating some real contenders.

THE BAD - Losing to the suns was the low point for me. Hawks was a bad loss but we were just waiting for the bye.

MVP - Callum Mills

MOST IMPROVED - Harry Cunningham

BIGGEST DISAPPOINTMENT - Sorry to say it but the inconsistency of Ramps. Didn't see that coming.

BEST KID - The Chad

HOW FAR WILL WE GO - We'll make it to the first week of finals. That's it.

The Good - Winning more and getting better at playing good footy for longer periods.

The Bad - Days where our effort stinks. There's been three of them already and we're only halfway through the season. Very #unswanslike

MVP - Mills

Most Improved - Impossible to narrow down from Cunningham, Hayward, Florent, Warner, Wicks and McLean.

Biggest Disappointment - Don't wanna kick him when he's down, but Blakey. Also injuries to Rowbottom, Gulden and Campbell.

Best Kid - McInerney

How Far Will We Go - We'll either just miss out and finish in 9th, or we'll make it to the finals and lose by like 90 points in the first week. (Either still a pass mark for the year as far as I'm concerned.)

Kapers

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 25, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
THE GOOD - Being a swans supporter. Talk about disappointments around the league, Saints, Carlton, Collingwood, GCS, Freo, even WCE. We are a lucky club.

THE Bad - turning up only to the difficult games. Lack of maturity. Honestly love how the WB go about thrashing lower teams, I feel that maturity will come.

MVP - Mills or Papley. Papley has been a game winner, but hasn't had the consistency that Mills has.

MOST IMPROVED - Florent. Has gone from a moment to a genuine contributer.

BIGGEST DISAPPOINTMENT - Besides the obvious few that everyone will mention, Ling. Feel he should be showing more in the reserves.

BEST KID - Gulden. Beautiful inside 50s. Clone this kids and you've already got a top 4 team.

HOW FAR WILL WE GO - we'll make the 8. If we get some momentum into the later part of the season we could be the 'wildcard' team.

Wanted to quickly say that we are a team that never lacks in defensive pressure. BUT, as Horse said, sometimes when we get the ball, we don't run enough in attack. Almost a reverse St Kilda. I'm not too worried, and I feel our best footy is ahead of us.

Wolfgang West

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 22, 2009
melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
THE GOOD - Being in the 8 was unexpected with a genuine shot at playing finals. Our early rounds when the kids tore it up. Beating some real contenders.

THE BAD - Losing to the suns was the low point for me. Hawks was a bad loss but we were just waiting for the bye.

MVP - Callum Mills

MOST IMPROVED - Harry Cunningham

BIGGEST DISAPPOINTMENT - Sorry to say it but the inconsistency of Ramps. Didn't see that coming.

BEST KID - The Chad

HOW FAR WILL WE GO - We'll make it to the first week of finals. That's it.

Yep that's acceptable.

If the team have that attitude we are going nowhere.

Jun 19, 2011
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Wallabies
THE GOOD - our rapid improvement in the first month in ball movement and our ability to serve it up to and compete with the better teams in the comp. The play of our forward line in particular has been a delight to watch. Mills' move into the middle. Hickey's ascension to a bonafide number one ruck.

THE BAD - the inability to maintain focus and effort against bottom 10 teams. The defence has fallen off a cliff. Not that we're giving up 20 goals a week but the connection and instinct to help teammates in the air is nowhere near where we expect a Swans' defence. I'm sure the 6-6-6 rules have a role to play in this but McCartin has been up and down a lot, Brand and Fox have been in and out as his partner, Rampe is not having anywhere near his best year, and Hewett has taken some time (understandably) to learn when to help out in the air and when not to.

MVP - Mills over Hickey due to playing more games. I think they've been easily our best two across the year.

MOST IMPROVED - Warner ahead of Florent. Warner is coming from a lower base so he wins out but Florent's sustained impact on games has been a real treat to watch. Cunningham was 5th in the 2020 Skilton so I don't think he's been hugely improved because he was already playing well last year.

BIGGEST DISAPPOINTMENT - Blakey for me because he showed signs of coming on last year and then reportedly had a great summer so seeing him consistently appear like a chicken with his head cut off sucked. Hoping he has another month in the reserves to consolidate some good recent play before he is seen again at senior level.

BEST KID - tough one as we've got a good batch but also a bunch who haven't got to play much with injury. I think McInerney has had the most consistent grasp of playing a role at senior level - he's coming along in leaps and bounds in the running and discipline required to play a full game as a wingman in today's AFL. Warner is getting a good education on the wing, at HF, and in the middle. Logan is showing good signs as a key forwad, glad we've got a bunch of other keys with Bud who can take the load off him as he learns. McCartin is up and down as mentioned before and Gulden slowed down after being excellent at the start of the year. Very confident that he and Campbell are gonna be very, very good once they've played another 30 games. I reckon Campbell in particular has huge growth to come - Gulden is ready to be an impactful AFL player right now but I think Campbell needs a bit more time to realise just how good he is and once he does, he's gonna be top shelf. Amartey/McLean showing real signs at senior level is a nice bonus.

HOW FAR WILL WE GO - reckon we'll make the 8 and once we're there we can win a final for sure. We've got a lot of maturity and growth to go for sure but we can make a run now if things break right. Balance of probabilities I reckon we'll go out in the first week but that's a massive year from a side I certainly didn't think would be finals bound in 2021. Hoping we have a good review of the first 3 months during the bye and take advantage of where we sit and come out of the bye with energy.

Olian

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 12, 2013
Between the Bridges
AFL Club
Sydney
THE GOOD - In the top 8. Last year draft picks have all shown promising signs. McLean and Amartey have had some good games.

THE BAD - Suns and Hawks games were poor. Form of Blakey. Ling failing to step up. Key defensive stocks are weak.

MVP - Hickey

MOST IMPROVED - Warner just in front of J McInerney

BIGGEST DISAPPOINTMENT - Blakey seems lost at the moment.

BEST KID - Warner.

HOW FAR WILL WE GO - 8th knocked out first week.

ErrolisGoldun

Club Legend
Jun 14, 2021
AFL Club
Sydney
THE GOOD - First 3 weeks of the season, that was the best ball movement I have seen from the Swans. Seemed to be a combination of less of the application of the standing the mark rule and earlier play on calls by the umpires that has taken away that advantage. Who would have predicted 8-5 start to the year! Huge result!

THE BAD.- the treatment of some swans, Eg O’Riordan and Stephen’s, they need game time to build confidence and to work out what they can do. One week in and one out doesn’t help with continuity and keeps them in limbo.

MVP - Tom Hickey, had no expectations apart from an improvement on Sinclair, but he has been consistently outstanding. Clearance monster and stood up in games when we have needed someone too.

MOST IMPROVED - Harry Cunningham, think he has been a rock solid contributor and starting to take on the Nick Smith mantle.

BIGGEST DISAPPOINTMENT - umpiring bias has not changed and has got worse

BEST KID - Errol, his first 3-4 weeks were exceptional, not only his vision, kicking and decision making but knowing the moments to do something special, look back at Essendon game for some of those special moments.

HOW FAR WILL WE GO - hope we get in top 8 for reward for effort and continue to grow the kids

THE GOOD - I thought bottom 4 this year so to have 8 wins is unbelievable. I think we have a lot of talent that will carry us to the middle part of thr ladder at a minimum for a while.

THE BAD - I think our best footy this year is now behind us and we'll be clinging to the 8. Partly due to injuries which I am so tired of

MVP - Hickey. Having our first competent ruckman since Tippett has made a massive difference in the midfield and he still provides a ton in contests around the middle. I dont think he has been our best player overall but our most valuable as of now.

MOST IMPROVED - Mills. Becoming our best midfielder in one preseason was not something I could have seen coming. Consistent and great.

BIGGEST DISAPPOINTMENT - Franklin, purely on an emotional level because of his little injuries probably preventing the 1000 this year.

BEST KID - Warner is a legit player and has had huge quarters and carried influence over matches already. Lock him up for a decade please.

HOW FAR WILL WE GO - I could see us sliding out of the 8 to 9th or 10th but I think we will cling on for an away elimination final. I dont think much further than that.

THE GOOD - The early rounds and taking big scalps while scoring freely. The youngsters of course bringing some wonderful flair and the promise of a lot of fun and success in the future.

We have a terrible record of soft tissue injuries and useless rehab. The Club addressed this and we are doing better than most other Clubs.

Pyke and McVeigh helped our ability to change gears.

I remain stunned and delighted we have 8 wins. That was my outlier hope for season total and it has been met.

THE BAD - Not much really. Terrible losses to the Dawks and GoCo. Some odd selections, lack of height in defence and we continue to get caught out by our slow midfield despite the inclusion of Mills.

MVP - Mills, just shading Hickey.

MOST IMPROVED - Florent.

BIGGEST DISAPPOINTMENT - Heeney being unable to get a crack at playing with continuity.

BEST KID - What an impossible task as so many have shown more than what I expected. Probably Jmac who has come on in leaps and bounds and has a real hardness.

HOW FAR WILL WE GO - Might sneak into the 8.

OTHERWISE - The return of Mr The King!

THE GOOD - * bar two games we have been in them all, we dont say die despite frustrating patches,

* looked to have nailed last years draft- though not all fit, but showed enough
* warner is a massive plus
* hickey and what he has given us
* mills mid
* best footy up there with the best
*buddy playing
*'scoring efficiently
-* nike gear

THE BAD. - some of our more senior players are ineffective, hewett is not really adding much aa the game speeds up etc and our mids evolve
* lack of size down back
* the fact jpk is probably still first mid picked, not being forced out
* blakey stephens gould- not getting much from these picks
* heeney never *en gets a good run at it, looks a million bucks one week, hurt the next
--* do we have one current a grader on current form? probably no , maybe rampe
- naismith unfortunately a list clogger for years now due to body
- afl is becoming a s**t product - over umpired, administration is corrupt, its all about PR, including swans if we are honest, take qatar airline money, preach tolerance

MVP -. * hickey i reckon, otherwise rampe, need them

MOST IMPROVED -. warner , mills, jmac

BIGGEST DISAPPOINTMENT - blakey - almost 50 games, hyped up, contracted , looks rubbish/bust more than a star- almost worth ditching while worth something if someone will take him

reid sorta plays half decent for a change then gets hurt - time to let him go waste of a spot

BEST KID - warner, rowbottom jmac our best

gulden looks ok i think Campbell will be good florent took a step up , mcdonald ok

we forget dawson is young still too, gun

HOW FAR WILL WE GO - we should make the 8 where we are now, and be pushing 4 next two years otherwise we need to ditch the current coaches imo

other- clarke, taylor, gray. sinclair, naismith , wtf are they on the list for

Arrr

Senior List
Oct 11, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
THE GOOD - Grinding out results and showing hardened maturity in doing so. So far beyond what I would've expected from the lads.

THE BAD - Playing to the standards of lower teams rather than enforcing our game on them.

MVP - Mills/Hickey both these guys have really changed how we bring the ball out of congestion. With Hickey playing like an extra mid and sometimes even getting first possession. Mills disposal efficiency really a step up from the hack work we have become used to.

MOST IMPROVED - Torn between Hayward and McInerny. Both have really responded to limited and inconsistent game time over the last couple of season to really hone their craft in the 2nds and come back better players. Great application from two players who just look at home at AFL level now and appear to have really bought into the bloods spirit.

BIGGEST DISAPPOINTMENT - KPD. We just seem outmatched every week on the key posts. with McCartin and Rampe seemingly constantly playing small on their opponent. Hasn't been an issue for Rampe in the past but he seems to be down on his high standards. McCartin doesn't seem to have come on as much as expected but he's still young so wait and see. Disappointing that Melican can't get a run at it to provide some depth here. Not sure what the knock is on Gould/Brand but the club clearly don't see them as an upgrade on what we have.

BEST KID - Warner

HOW FAR WILL WE GO - First round of finals would be great experience for the lads. I'm going to be an optimist and say we win one final.

Rhino5

Club Legend
Apr 6, 2008
Canberra
AFL Club
Sydney
THE GOOD - Just being in contention for finals honestly. I, like many others, had penciled in a bottom 4-5 finish, so it's pleasantly surprising to have these gems in the second half of the year really mean something. The style of footy we were playing in the first month was great too.

THE BAD - I know it was due and the bye was coming, but that Hawks loss was so deflating. I'm still angry about it. Feels like we are back to where we were last year.

MVP - It probably has to be Mills - he's been consistently terrific, but I'd say our most important player in terms of team improvement has been Hickey.

MOST IMPROVED - It's Warner for me. When we've needed a game breaking burst out of a pack, it's been him. Doesn't rack up numbers, but he has a bit of something special that this team needs.

BIGGEST DISAPPOINTMENT - Blakey is too obvious and I've never really rated him, so hard to view him as disappointing. I'd say McCartin as well - I think I'd penciled him as an up-and-coming defensive anchor and he's been far from that the last few weeks. I'm still hopeful, but I'm wondering what his ceiling is as a defender.

BEST KID - Probably Warner again, but he has competition. I would have said Gulden if he hadn't faded a bit and missed a chunk of games. I'd like to mention McDonald though - obviously not our best since he hasn't had enough opportunity, but the limited flashes he has shown have been so impressive to me. He has a real composure and footy IQ (sorry) for a young KPD that I think is rare. Also great with second efforts and impacting contests - a really nice all around player.

HOW FAR WILL WE GO - I'm hoping we scrape into one of the last two finals spots and I think we will. Don't think we'll get beyond that, but as long as we play some good footy, I'll be happy.

Bloods86

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 7, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Adelaide United, Everton, Socceroos
THE GOOD - If you'd told me we'd be 8 wins and above Richmond at the bye, I'd have taken that pretty quickly. While I think our first few weeks maybe overstated our progress before teams figured us out, the ability to comeback and win a close one vs Cats, stay with the Dees and get some albeit moderate wins against teams which we'd have struggled against in the last few years (Pies, Saints, Blues) is important for both development and just getting yourself into a decent position at the end of the year.

THE BAD - Keeping in mind, I think we may have overstated our progress in the first 3 rounds, a couple of the narrow loses, although frustrating were not completely shocking (GWS, Dees, Freo). That said, the games vs Suns and Hawks were bereft of effort and direction. We've got 6 games against bottom 10 opposition to close out the season - we can assume GWS will be tough, but we need to ensure those games are the exceptions to the rule (where we beat who we should).

MVP - Mills and Hickey

MOST IMPROVED - Hickey. Yeah, Mills and Warner have shown us they can be great in a changed position, or just vastly improved from 1st year form and composure. Cunningham has been great in his defensive role, but I rated him anyway. Hickey though, is the player that we simply cannot begin to replace and no-one really expected what he's delivered.

BIGGEST DISAPPOINTMENT(s) - See games vs Suns and Hawks as above. Player wise... Blakey shows the pieces at senior or reserves level, just can't put it together. Hewett being played in defence, not midfield.

BEST KID - Warner

HOW FAR WILL WE GO - Best case - I think we'll drop games vs Port, Dogs and at least 1 of the last 6 (someone will put in a seasons best game vs. us). That would be 14-8. Recent years, that's not enough for Top 4. So best case I think we're looking at 5th or 6th, hopefully against someone like the Eagles in Sydney. More likely though, we'll continue to beat most of the teams we should, but still drop 2 of the last 6 (GWS and maybe Bombers), maybe get a win vs Eagles and have at least 1 big loss to Dogs or Port. So 13-9, 12-10 territory, enough to scrape into finals (in which case I'll be hoping for an away final vs Port for selfish reasons). I think at best we'll make a semi-final, at worst be in a battle for finals and 8th/9th.

brad cooper

Premiership Player
Jul 5, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
The good

We're in the 8, and may play finals after missing the last couple of years.

the bad

finding a way to lose to gws and Freo after leading most of match

MVP 3way the Hickey Mills and McCartin

most improved Chad

best kid Chad just from Gulden and McInerney

how far will we go

Will win the flag from 8th beating WCE in an elimination in Perth, Richmond at the G in the semi, Melbourne at the G in the prelim before beating the bulldogs in the GF

Deccas

Club Legend
Jun 9, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
The good

- we are playing heaps better than I thought we would this year. A few you g players have come along really well and we are playing a high scoring aggressive footy that matches it with the very best.

The bad

- letting our intensity slip and losing to bad teams. Blakey and Stephens not coming along at the rate of some of our other kids and us continuing to get beat around by opposition that have better outside runners than we do.

MVP

- it's close, but I think Parker remains our best mid fielder and leader.

Best kid - it's hard to go passed Warner in this. He has been an important player in some of our best quarters of football. In saying that I'm absolutely drooling that we have a key forward playing as well as McDonald has in his first year.

Most improved

- Dawson has gone from a talented player with a great kick and no defined position to a third tall with a clear defensive and offensive role. He has grabbed his opportunity with both hands and it's a credit to him

How far will we go?

I reckon we will win our first final but lose our second in a contest we can be happy with.

On Nokia 7.1 using BigFooty.com mobile app

THE GOOD - Well 8-5 is definitely above expectations at this point. The Brisbane and Richmond games were some of the best footy I've seen from us in a long time, and our performances against the best has been exceptional. We're doing way better in grinding out wins than before, and our midfield with the arrival of Hickey and Mills moving from defence has improved a lot. Buddy being back out there is great, and the kids are excellent.

THE BAD - Strangely hasn't been a great year for us down back, quite a few guys there aren't pulling their weight. Performances against the lesser teams have to be addressed; the Hawthorn and Gold Coast games were amongst the worst performances we've had in a long time (even in 2019/20 the only one that really compares in shitness is that Freo game). A few key players (Heeney, Blakey) probably haven't stood up as much as they should've.

MVP - Very close between Mills and Hickey. Crazy years too as the former had spent 90% of his AFL career in defence and the latter was a 30 year old fringe player. Yet both have been the key part of our midfield and have been exceptional. I think Hickey's probably won us more games, but Mills has been more consistent. Can pretty much throw a blanket over them.

MOST IMPROVED - As well as those two, I'm saying the Chad. Looked a fair way off the pace last year but has looked a potential superstar this year. You can just feel the impact he has on games, our midfield would look very slow without him.

BIGGEST DISAPPOINTMENT - Blakey. Thought he was to break out this year, instead has looked miles off the pace. A dishonourable mention to Rampe who's been far flakier than he has in the past and Heeney, who's still horribly inconsistent (though injuries hasn't helped there).

BEST KID - As well as Warner, I'm picking Gulden and McInerney. They're capable of stuff few other AFL players are, everything feels more impactful when they're there.

HOW FAR WILL WE GO - Top 8. I think we go out Week 1, but anyone pretending that they expected that at the start of the season is a liar.

Jun 27, 2010
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sturt
THE GOOD - Proving everyone wrong. Still enjoying that

ALSO GOOD - Winning games at SCG again. It became a reverse fortress in previous years.

GOODISH - Play better against top teams than bottom dwellers. A vastly easier problem to solve than the other way around

THE BAD - Inconsistency. We win games when we bring our pressure and intensity. When we drop our bundle it's because we've dropped intensity. Just need to bring it every week

BEST KID - Has to be Warner. He's fearless and good on inside and outside

DISAPPOINTMENT - Agree it is Blakey. He's down on form and confidence. It's not terminal.

HOW FAR - Finals. Possibly win one final.

Bit late with this but this is the mid year-POTY standings for retrospect. Bit of a deep year so far.

Jake Lloyd can count himself unlucky as he has been the 6th man in the voting for 4 of the last 5 weeks...

Leaderboard:
Callum Mills (25)
Tom Hickey (22)
Isaac Heeney (16)
Jordan Dawson (13)
Lance Franklin (13)

Dane Rampe (12)
Oliver Florent (11)
Hayden McLean (8)
Luke Parker (8)
Justin McInerney (8)
Josh Kennedy (7)
Sam Reid (7)
James Rowbottom (7)
Errol Gulden (6)
Harry Cunningham (5)
Chad Warner (5)
Sam Wicks (5)
Will Hayward (4)
Braeden Campbell (3)
Tom McCartin (3)
Joel Amartey (2)
George Hewett (2)
Tom Papley (2)
Kaiden Brand (1)

Jun 19, 2011
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Wallabies
Bit late with this but this is the mid year-POTY standings for retrospect. Bit of a deep year so far.

Jake Lloyd can count himself unlucky as he has been the 6th man in the voting for 4 of the last 5 weeks...

Leaderboard:
Callum Mills (25)
Tom Hickey (22)
Isaac Heeney (16)
Jordan Dawson (13)
Lance Franklin (13)

Dane Rampe (12)
Oliver Florent (11)
Hayden McLean (8)
Luke Parker (8)
Justin McInerney (8)
Josh Kennedy (7)
Sam Reid (7)
James Rowbottom (7)
Errol Gulden (6)
Harry Cunningham (5)
Chad Warner (5)
Sam Wicks (5)
Will Hayward (4)
Braeden Campbell (3)
Tom McCartin (3)
Joel Amartey (2)
George Hewett (2)
Tom Papley (2)
Kaiden Brand (1)

The top 2 I reckon are dead-on for what the Skilton is atm. Mills leading from Hickey only because the latter has missed a couple of games.

Lloyd, as mentioned, is unlucky and I reckon is likely to be top 5 right now.

Back