2nds Swans Reserves 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick thoughts from the game:

• James ROSE - Forward first half, forward/mid second half. Kicked his first from a snap, second from a set shot but the missed his next 4 which were all set shots. You could see the frustration building up in him after every miss and started to lose his composure and discipline a little in the final quarter.
  • Jeremy LAIDLER - Nominally played in the backline but was often seen forward of centre as shown in his 6 inside 50s and no rebound 50s. Like Ted, didn't have much to but when he did, quite easily beat his opponent (which was usually a Brisbane topup)
  • Jack HISCOX - One of his best games that I've seen from him. He actually used his pace and running to advantage for once breaking the lines and minimised his usual share of fumbling and dropping of simple marks. Kicking was very assured today, he looked confident and his game benefited as a result. You just have to wonder though whether it was a case of beating up on a weaker opponent, and whether he would be able to replicate against stronger teams.
  • Tom DERICKX - Typical Derickx display, serviceable in the ruck, often sat a kick behind play to protect the defenders. Would do something nice but then follow it up with something awful.
  • Ben McGLYNN - Midfield and forward. Worked his butt off but his kicking and decision making, particularly in the F50 let him down. Perhaps tried to be a bit unselfish at times in trying to set up teammates but the execution was poor. In particular I would put away his left foot kicking, it barely gets above ground level.
  • Ted RICHARDS - Back first half, forward second half. Barely troubled in the first half but might be in a bit of a trouble for a bump on a Lions player. He chose to bump after the ball had bounced passed, the Lion stayed down for quite a while and after spending some time on the bench did eventually come back on. But I note that the Lion only had 1 disposal for the whole game. Back he was minding Michael Close and up forward he was marked by Jackson Paine. Kicked 2 goals but don't think that was due to any sterling forward work on his behalf.
  • Nic NEWMAN - Freed up from his usual defensive post to play on the wing and he took advantage of the freedom. As I mentioned a few weeks ago I've been impressed with a new found toughness to his game, particularly his ability to withstand tackles now. He was clearly in my eyes the best player on the ground with great work both with and without the ball.
  • Tyrone LEONARDIS - Defence first half, midfield second half. Very exciting when he takes off with the ball and bounces it a few times but end product can be lacking. Had a good stint in the midfield in the second half.
  • Harrison MARSH - Similar situation to Laidler but whereas Laids had the freedom to push forward, Marshy had to sit back and be the last player in defence meaning he didn't get a lot of the ball.
  • Jordan DAWSON - Mostly at half forward, it felt like he a quiet game but then you check the stats and he's accumulated 21 disposals and 3 shots at goal.
  • Colin O'RIORDAN - First half as a half back flanker, second half had some time in the midfield. He has a certain predilection of taking the tackler on - sometimes he'll charge straight at the tackler instead of trying to go around them! Kicking excellent as usual and decision making much better this time around.
  • Jordan FOOTE - Still had quite a lot of the ball but not particularly damaging with it. With no one in particular to tag it was just an adequate performance from him.
  • Sam MURRAY - Liveview small forward and parts through the midfield. First goal (shown in the highlights) was a great crumb and finish. Kicked 4.4 but also would have created 5 or 6 more goal scoring opportunities. He's very quick and kicking can be good if he's afforded time and space.
  • Kyle GALLOWAY - Regressed a little from the last time I saw him. Outpointed by West was expected but also struggled against their relief ruckman who was a young topup. Way, way too slow when he picks up the ball which is a real worry at NEAFL pace.

• James ROSE - Forward first half, forward/mid second half. Kicked his first from a snap, second from a set shot but the missed his next 4 which were all set shots. You could see the frustration building up in him after every miss and started to lose his composure and discipline a little in the final quarter.
  • Jeremy LAIDLER - Nominally played in the backline but was often seen forward of centre as shown in his 6 inside 50s and no rebound 50s. Like Ted, didn't have much to but when he did, quite easily beat his opponent (which was usually a Brisbane topup)
  • Jack HISCOX - One of his best games that I've seen from him. He actually used his pace and running to advantage for once breaking the lines and minimised his usual share of fumbling and dropping of simple marks. Kicking was very assured today, he looked confident and his game benefited as a result. You just have to wonder though whether it was a case of beating up on a weaker opponent, and whether he would be able to replicate against stronger teams.
  • Tom DERICKX - Typical Derickx display, serviceable in the ruck, often sat a kick behind play to protect the defenders. Would do something nice but then follow it up with something awful.
  • Ben McGLYNN - Midfield and forward. Worked his butt off but his kicking and decision making, particularly in the F50 let him down. Perhaps tried to be a bit unselfish at times in trying to set up teammates but the execution was poor. In particular I would put away his left foot kicking, it barely gets above ground level.
  • Ted RICHARDS - Back first half, forward second half. Barely troubled in the first half but might be in a bit of a trouble for a bump on a Lions player. He chose to bump after the ball had bounced passed, the Lion stayed down for quite a while and after spending some time on the bench did eventually come back on. But I note that the Lion only had 1 disposal for the whole game. Back he was minding Michael Close and up forward he was marked by Jackson Paine. Kicked 2 goals but don't think that was due to any sterling forward work on his behalf.
  • Nic NEWMAN - Freed up from his usual defensive post to play on the wing and he took advantage of the freedom. As I mentioned a few weeks ago I've been impressed with a new found toughness to his game, particularly his ability to withstand tackles now. He was clearly in my eyes the best player on the ground with great work both with and without the ball.
  • Tyrone LEONARDIS - Defence first half, midfield second half. Very exciting when he takes off with the ball and bounces it a few times but end product can be lacking. Had a good stint in the midfield in the second half.
  • Harrison MARSH - Similar situation to Laidler but whereas Laids had the freedom to push forward, Marshy had to sit back and be the last player in defence meaning he didn't get a lot of the ball.
  • Jordan DAWSON - Mostly at half forward, it felt like he a quiet game but then you check the stats and he's accumulated 21 disposals and 3 shots at goal.
  • Colin O'RIORDAN - First half as a half back flanker, second half had some time in the midfield. He has a certain predilection of taking the tackler on - sometimes he'll charge straight at the tackler instead of trying to go around them! Kicking excellent as usual and decision making much better this time around.
  • Jordan FOOTE - Still had quite a lot of the ball but not particularly damaging with it. With no one in particular to tag it was just an adequate performance from him.
  • Sam MURRAY - Liveview small forward and parts through the midfield. First goal (shown in the highlights) was a great crumb and finish. Kicked 4.4 but also would have created 5 or 6 more goal scoring opportunities. He's very quick and kicking can be good if he's afforded time and space.
  • Kyle GALLOWAY - Regressed a little from the last time I saw him. Outpointed by West was expected but also struggled against their relief ruckman who was a young topup. Way, way too slow when he picks up the ball which is a real worry at NEAFL pace.
Stirling work as always Grim

Who will they be kicking out?

McVeigh probably doesn't have two years in him, and I honestly wonder about Jack too. Heeney and Mills (and I think potentially Jones) will move into the midfield so there will be a spot in the forwards and on half back. A few may be capable of pushing towers out of his wing spot as well.

Who will they be kicking out?

McVeigh, K. Jack will both be getting on by then.. But my point was more that from what i've seen and heard of them, they may just knock the door down, similar to Aliir. If you said Aliir Aliir and Callum Mills would be key players in our side at the start of this year, I'd have laughed it off. But an opportunity arose for them because of injuries and a few structural holes, and now it's hard to imagine them not being in our side. The five I mentioned I can just see doing the same if blokes like Cunningham, Lloyd, Hewett etc haven't locked in their roles by 2018.

Obviously main objective would be to have the senior side be so great we don't NEED anyone to be making way, but it's always the way it goes, and it's good to have some options running around in the neafl who could be just as good.

I'm worried about Galloway. I know he's very young and a project player but if he's too slow no training can correct that. It's great how Shaw is happy to trial them in various positions and test them out. That's what the magoos are for.

Dawson, Derickx, Galloway, Hiscox, B.Jack, Laidler, Leonardis, Marsh, McGlynn, Murray, Newman, O'Riordan, Rose

In: B.Jack
Out: Jordan Foote, Ted Richards

Baron-Hay, Bartholomaeus, Cooper, Davis, Hebron, McFadden, Reinhard, Veale, Wilson

In: Bartholomaeus, Veale
Out: Jake Brown, Luke Robertson

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dawson, Derickx, Galloway, Hiscox, B.Jack, Laidler, Leonardis, Marsh, McGlynn, Murray, Newman, O'Riordan, Rose

In: B.Jack
Out: Jordan Foote, Ted Richards

Baron-Hay, Bartholomaeus, Cooper, Davis, Hebron, McFadden, Reinhard, Veale, Wilson

In: Bartholomaeus, Veale
Out: Jake Brown, Luke Robertson

Gotta feel for BJ. Been doing really well in the reserves, made an emergency in last week's game, now relegated again. Contrary to what the Swans website has been speculating every. single. week, BJ won't be playing senior footy in 2016.

Gotta feel for BJ. Been doing really well in the reserves, made an emergency in last week's game, now relegated again. Contrary to what the Swans website has been speculating every. single. week, BJ won't be playing senior footy in 2016.
He's had Benji in front of him and now Papley. Can't take a trick.

NT Thunder 2.2 6.6 11.7 14.8 (92)
Sydney Swans 5.1 5.1 7.2 8.6 (54)

Goals: Ilett 4, Bath 2, Lewis 2, Ewing 2, Patrick, S.Rioli, Hagan Brennan
Best: Ilett, Lewis, Vea Vea, Bath, Hagan, Beugelaar

Goals: Rose 2, McGlynn, Dawson, Murray, Newman, Wilson, Reinhard
Best: TBA

Watched the first quarter when we were quite dominant. Must have gone downhill after that. Dawson can certainly kick a footy a long distance.

qGS3ivl.png

eEcxCoK.png

qGS3ivl.png

eEcxCoK.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Back