2nds Swans Reserves 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

After some of Robinson's efforts in the GWS game, I could see Foote getting the call-up over him. If we're gonna have a mid who doesn't do much, we might as well get one who can stick a tackle

Robinson is a mile better than Foote. Plus you have to think who he was playing on- Wilson, whois a critical cog to GWS' drive out of defence. Was literally non-existent all game. Robinson did his role well. I still think he's a limited player but right now he's doing his job.

ikOWku5.png

Iv73ide.png

Robinson is super-disciplined and his concentration levels are fantastic, so you can see why the coaches trust him.

Any reason he hasn't been given a go as a small defender?

He might when Smith retires. There will be an opening there. I agree with you actually think he could be an option back there.

Robinson is super-disciplined and his concentration levels are fantastic, so you can see why the coaches trust him.

Any reason he hasn't been given a go as a small defender?
One of his strengths is his endurance running, would be wasted as a lock down defender.

True, but is he really going to get a position in our midfield in the short term? We still have Florent who will be a full time mid, Cunningham, possibly Edwards, and then we have whoever we draft this year. Our mids that are in the side bar Jack and McVeigh are hardly old either. If Robinson wants a full time position it might have to be in defence (or up forward) not sure which one.

Not sure you would classify Rory Laird as a lock down small defender like Nick Smith, he's more of a flanker (who plays on the wing at times) in the Heath Shaw mould.

The small defender role though is moving towards those Laird type of players. It might change but not sure you will see a lot of lock down Smith type defenders in sides going forward.

Every time I see a post or hear a comment on the radio about the direction the game is moving I laugh. No. That might, and only might, have been the direction the game has moved in the past (like no taggers in the first few weeks this year) but it's almost certainly not the direction the game is moving.

The direction the game is moving is entirely in the hands of the various coaches looking to play to the strengths of their various playing lists. We only find out much later when we can work out what happened in hindsight.

Every time I see a post or hear a comment on the radio about the direction the game is moving I laugh. No. That might, and only might, have been the direction the game has moved in the past (like no taggers in the first few weeks this year) but it's almost certainly not the direction the game is moving.

The direction the game is moving is entirely in the hands of the various coaches looking to play to the strengths of their various playing lists. We only find out much later when we can work out what happened in hindsight.
Hey remember this season when taggers were no longer a thing? Next round Hewett tagged JJ out of the game.

Or when the ruck was going to no longer be a position?

Hey remember this season when taggers were no longer a thing? Next round Hewett tagged JJ out of the game.

Or when the ruck was going to no longer be a position?

Exactly. And I've lost count of the amount of times I've heard Watson, Lyon, Carey and many, many others say that finals can't be won unless a more attacking brand of football is played.

At the end of the day, games are won by sides that score more than the other side. That can be 120-115 or it can be 32-30.

Robinson played in a tagging role on the weekend and did pretty well too. Leading tackler at half-time with 7 and finished with 9. Faded a fair bit in the second half, but that'll improve as he builds his fitness.

Dawson is still a few weeks off senior selection, but if Kennedy or Parker were unavailable, I'd be pretty keen to see Dawson step into that role. I'd just hate to see him come in and be forced to play the role that Towers and Hayward have played, since he seems to be so much more adept at playing the ball in close.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Robinson played in a tagging role on the weekend and did pretty well too. Leading tackler at half-time with 7 and finished with 9. Faded a fair bit in the second half, but that'll improve as he builds his fitness.

Dawson is still a few weeks off senior selection, but if Kennedy or Parker were unavailable, I'd be pretty keen to see Dawson step into that role. I'd just hate to see him come in and be forced to play the role that Towers and Hayward have played, since he seems to be so much more adept at playing the ball in close.

I think the guts is his position. But I have no issue with him being selected to play at half forward. I think we'd see a much more purposeful Dawson at this stage of the year than against Carlton. Most midfielders start as forward/utility types before they build the fitness base to play true midfield. If he does play forward, heaven help any defenders who play him loose.

I think the guts is his position. But I have no issue with him being selected to play at half forward. I think we'd see a much more purposeful Dawson at this stage of the year than against Carlton. Most midfielders start as forward/utility types before they build the fitness base to play true midfield. If he does play forward, heaven help any defenders who play him loose.

Twas the wobbles

Knowing that our reserves have handed out a number of absolute smashings this season I was interested in their percentage. Had a quick look at the NEAFL ladder and they have a none too shabby percentage of 241.22%. Safe to say that they won't lose their ladder position due to a lower percentage. Brisbane, in second spot, not doing too badly with a percentage of 171.30% too.

Knowing that our reserves have handed out a number of absolute smashings this season I was interested in their percentage. Had a quick look at the NEAFL ladder and they have a none too shabby percentage of 241.22%. Safe to say that they won't lose their ladder position due to a lower percentage. Brisbane, in second spot, not doing too badly with a percentage of 171.30% too.
Shows how uneven the comp is

So...at the risk of being the 487th person to ask....
On the NEAFL website match stats they have numbers running from 1 to 6 in the column for 'Bests'. Is a higher number (5 or 6) representing THE best, or does it mean 6th best, and therefore the player with 1 is THE best?
Not sure if it's like Brownlow points or just a ranking of players per game.

So...at the risk of being the 487th person to ask....
On the NEAFL website match stats they have numbers running from 1 to 6 in the column for 'Bests'. Is a higher number (5 or 6) representing THE best, or does it mean 6th best, and therefore the player with 1 is THE best?
Not sure if it's like Brownlow points or just a ranking of players per game.
1 is best

Rory Laird provides a lot of run from the Crows back despite also having a lock down role. Could be a master move to throw Robinson back there.

Surely Smith gets retired this year, he's been up and down and won't get much faster. Good to hear of an option being discussed. I can see BJ there too. But I guess only if Horse leaves. He would provide good pace running out, and from the little I have seen of him is fair at give and go handball chains. Can't say I noticed Robinson much in his two games, but if he's tagging then I guess that's all well and good.

Any word on how AJ has pulled up after playing all of reserves game? #norush

What are they going to do with him, if he's kinda rubbish at football now? Awkward really. As good a guy as he might be, the chances aren't great he can get back to elite sport level. Hope he can, but I hope MORE he can use that knee in real life for the next 40 years. Hope he's been studying these last few years.

I see I've come in half way through the argument. Can see both sides of it. I won't waste a second on the acronyms though. ;)

Will Ronke take Keiran Jack's spot in a year to 18 months?

Last edited by a moderator:
I see I've come in half way through the argument. Can see both sides of it. I won't waste a second on the acronyms though. ;)

Will Ronke take Keiran Jack's spot in a year to 18 months?
Whenever I've seen him on stream, he's been fantastic. Certainly racking up the numbers and therefore I see him as a keeper if he can take that consistency into the back end of the year. To answer your question though, yes, I do see him in that role!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back