2nds Swans Reserves 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

It's perfect footy weather. Few s p rinkles.

Rowbottom shows go o d evasion at times, looks light even in a neafl game though.

He just butchered it, worked his butt off to get it back and then ran on to provide an option for hanball get, and delivered it by foot. Nice.
Legit the most swans like mid- works really hard running wise. Hard over ball, hard to bring down, butchers it by foot... reminds me heaps of Parker in his first year.

No Cameron, Mcartin Maibaum. Could use some size.
Meliican getting the coffees in - should be playing given his last game.

Very disappointing hit out by the looks of the score line. If we can't kick goals we can't win games. Have we overestimated our list? After all Uni is full of cast offs from the AFL, WAFL, VFL and SANFL.

On ANE-LX2J using BigFooty.com mobile app

It was a practice match.... in lousy conditions.... with a bunch of top-up players....

Pretty hard for young Swans to do well given the circumstances

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very disappointing hit out by the looks of the score line. If we can't kick goals we can't win games. Have we overestimated our list? After all Uni is full of cast offs from the AFL, WAFL, VFL and SANFL.

On ANE-LX2J using BigFooty.com mobile app

Reading between the lines, it seems these guys played:
Bell, Foot, Fox, McInerney, McLean, Pink, Reynolds, Ronke, Rose, Rowbottom, Stoddart and probably Wicks.

That means there was 10 top ups.

Now breaking that down further:
Foots first outing in red and white
McLean just arrived two days ago

6 new draftees

McLean would have had to ruck and Pink therefore the only key forward

Top ups would have mostly been under 20s.

Wouldn’t be too concerned, especially since we led at half time and most of these guys probably have a fair bit of work to do in terms of fitness from the step up from juniors.

Reading between the lines, it seems these guys played:
Bell, Foot, Fox, McInerney, McLean, Pink, Reynolds, Ronke, Rose, Rowbottom, Stoddart and probably Wicks.

That means there was 10 top ups.

Now breaking that down further:
Foots first outing in red and white
McLean just arrived two days ago

6 new draftees

McLean would have had to ruck and Pink therefore the only key forward

Top ups would have mostly been under 20s.

Wouldn’t be too concerned, especially since we led at half time and most of these guys probably have a fair bit of work to do in terms of fitness from the step up from juniors.

Exactly. If we cared about the result I think this thread would have a lot more activity, of the frenzied, stressed nature!

I mainly like these types of matches to see who is looking good and who will set the tone among the youngsters. Anything else is just impossible to gauge.

I would say this game was played at the competition level. Nothing JLT about it - guys were going in and getting hit.
Uni were strong bodied and in the contest, good run too - suprised me tbh. Good on em.
What won them the game IMHO - besides the good contested stuff was having a KPF who could take the grabs that were delivered to him. Because of our injury list we didn't have KP players so when we kicked inside 50 nobody could take a grab. Pink was in the ruck for bits of the 2nd half (getting smashed)
Mclean stood out in the first half - took some good contested grabs, ran to the right spots, a few tackles, good by foot, and good hit outs v a pretty solid customer on their side.
Bell was good too - seems to have the tools to play higher if needed.

Think he’s 16 isn’t he?

Hadn't notice him much, but tbh I was spending a lot of time looking up who all these guys were so he might have had a good or even great one.
Just as you posted this he flopped to win a free,:D and then threw himself about a bit for the next few rucks rubbing it in to his opponent and tackling anything that moved.
Seems fiesty - not scared of a contested play and was playing just off the stoppages from the short time I spend watching him.

Tough day at the office for our new recruits but thought they all did pretty well under the circumstances. A few too many fresh top-ups to generate anything substantial, and an opposition (and supporters) out to prove a point. That said, it wasn’t until the last 10-15 mins that Uni got on top.

For mine the most pleasing performance came from Harry Reynolds. Recall him making a nice little cameo in the GWS trial a couple of weeks back. I know defenders need to have ice in theirs veins, but this kid seems to have so much time as well... will be watching his development keenly in that small/medium lockdown role.
McLean was pretty good. Couple of nice taps to Robo from the bounce and rolled up his sleeves around the ground. Mind you if it hadn’t been for that haircut I might not have picked him out... he’s no giant.
Stoddart, Robo, MacInerny and Fox stood out amongst the toppies without earning rave reviews.
Would have hoped for more from Pink and old mate Rosie remains one of the Sydney Swans great mysteries.
... Foot donned his boots at last!
I really want to get excited about James Bell but fear people suggesting he is close to the fringe of our best 22 are wallowing in memories of the good old days of Micky O and Goodesy and letting it cloud their judgment.
Pleased to read that Ronke was making a few tackles up forward. I put myself behind the team until I had their numbers worked out (number 22 wasn’t one of our listed players thankfully 😅)... late on I saw a little bit of Ronke and he clearly looked frustrated and out of sorts. Long way from being a lock on recent form imo.

Great way to spend a chunk of Saturday... yummy coffee, a variety of pedigree pooches and rescue mutts adding to the atmosphere.
Love to observe our established young guns, freed of that official Swans facade... they really are likeable young men!

It was a practice match.... in lousy conditions.... with a bunch of top-up players....

Pretty hard for young Swans to do well given the circumstances
Wasn't the opposition playing in a practice match in lousy conditions with a bunch of top-up players?

they are obviously very concerned about ronde's form to play him in that match. don't know how he went but if he didn't show something he should not play round 1. i really like him as a player but its not on to put up performances like he has done and get given games ahead of someone playing better.

they are obviously very concerned about ronde's form to play him in that match. don't know how he went but if he didn't show something he should not play round 1. i really like him as a player but its not on to put up performances like he has done and get given games ahead of someone playing better.

Agreed. I think he’ll come good but no shame in starting the season in the reserves when it’s only your second year of senior footy.

I got down to this game as well, but had my fiancee and dog with me (neither of who are that interested in aussie rules), so didn't get to give the game my undivided attention.

I agree with whoever compared Robo-Tom to Parker above: I was thinking exactly the same thing, except that his first 2 or 3 steps seem to be more explosive. Backs himself to bust tackles and generally succeeds. His go-to kick seems to be "kick as far downfield as possible", but hopefully he cleans this up as he gets more experience.

I'd heard that Zak Jones was going to play and get some additional match fitness, but I didn't notice him unless he played very limited minutes before we got there?

Stoddart got a fair bit of ball, and was good at taking a player on to make himself some space. He didn't seem to have much of a plan after beating his man though, and turned it over a few times that I saw.

Ronke tried hard all day, but received a lot of attention from the opposition. Had one very nice piece of play in the forward pocket in the 1st half where he made 3 or 4 repeat efforts to win the ball and eventually result in a mark and shot on goal (for Bell I think?). I think that he might "want it too much" and isn't playing his natural game as much as last year.

Although it was a NEAFL practice match there was a good contingent of the older boys there to watch the game (in addition to the senior coaching staff of course). Papley, Mills, and Haywood watched the whole game (I couldn't see the other player that they had with them?), and Rampe arrived in the second half, as well as Naismith. Tom Harley was also there with wife and baby in tow.

For those wondering about the scoreline, we did look a very small / young team against Uni.

I really want to get excited about James Bell but fear people suggesting he is close to the fringe of our best 22 are wallowing in memories of the good old days of Micky O and Goodesy and letting it cloud their judgment.

My interest in Bell isn't so much a Goodes O'Loughlin comparison. They were greats in their own separate rights.

1. He's an Academy graduate.
2. He's a young indigenous fella.
3. He has genuine class.

If he can add the required tank and application to his class, then he will be a genuine gun. Following him, it appears he is on the right track, but with some distance to travel.

If he can be a genuine gun, then that will be a wonderful thing for both the Academy and young indigenous boys following his progress. Not to mention the club.

I guess that's why I am barracking for his success more than others.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back