2nds Swans Reserves 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

DavyRed

Club Legend
Nov 5, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
I think Hirst has skills, but really can't get near the ball with the bigger bodies just keeping him at bay. Seems he gets a few free kicks for it, but I can't say he should be here next year.
McClean seems to be still finding his feet, but seems to have potential.
Stoddard is a funny one.
He is obviously talented and very fast, but seems to be making more clangers then last year.
Still hasn't added enough size to warrant a call into the 1's. Struggle to make a case for him to stay next year too. Good academy replacement would be Parkes. Bigger, tougher and very talented!
A few weeks ago, I would have said Armety would be better elsewhere, however, his game on the weekend was outstanding.
He makes a good big backman. Prefer him out of the fwd line, and can pinch hit in the ruck, but not too successfully.
Knoll, I agree too. Slow start, but really got going 2nd half vs Demons. Once he finds his feet and gets to understand his mids more, he will be ok. AFL level? Maybe.
Bell is that confusing talent. Can play, everyone knows it, but would I keep him around at the cost of another good Rookie? No. Unfortunately, his lack of improvement and ability to step up in difficult games will ensure he remains a NEAFL level player only. He would best look at WAFL, SANFL or VFL to take the next step if he is to crack the big show.
I just hope Foote and McInerney step up too. They are gathering pretty good numbers, but their fitness, efficiency and decision making seem poor at times.
I have to say, that I didn't think that Rose would be around next year. BUT, he has played well in his call up to the 1's. I believe he deserves an extension now too.
Given Hirst’s size I would think that the Swans must view him as a longer term development option. Otherwise what possible reason would they have had for selecting him in the mid-season draft? I can’t imagine that they would have thought he’d be making a serious bid for senior selection this season.

I think Hirst has skills, but really can't get near the ball with the bigger bodies just keeping him at bay. Seems he gets a few free kicks for it, but I can't say he should be here next year.
McClean seems to be still finding his feet, but seems to have potential.
Stoddard is a funny one.
He is obviously talented and very fast, but seems to be making more clangers then last year.
Still hasn't added enough size to warrant a call into the 1's. Struggle to make a case for him to stay next year too. Good academy replacement would be Parkes. Bigger, tougher and very talented!
A few weeks ago, I would have said Armety would be better elsewhere, however, his game on the weekend was outstanding.
He makes a good big backman. Prefer him out of the fwd line, and can pinch hit in the ruck, but not too successfully.
Knoll, I agree too. Slow start, but really got going 2nd half vs Demons. Once he finds his feet and gets to understand his mids more, he will be ok. AFL level? Maybe.
Bell is that confusing talent. Can play, everyone knows it, but would I keep him around at the cost of another good Rookie? No. Unfortunately, his lack of improvement and ability to step up in difficult games will ensure he remains a NEAFL level player only. He would best look at WAFL, SANFL or VFL to take the next step if he is to crack the big show.
I just hope Foote and McInerney step up too. They are gathering pretty good numbers, but their fitness, efficiency and decision making seem poor at times.
I have to say, that I didn't think that Rose would be around next year. BUT, he has played well in his call up to the 1's. I believe he deserves an extension now too.

The way the club spoke about Hirst as a project player tells me they’re prepared to be patient, and I think that would be wise. Rowbottom and Wicks aside, I have found Hirst’s attack on the contest to be the best in our NEAFL side since he came into it. Just needs some big pre-seasons in the gym.

I'd still like to see Bell get a crack at senior footy before we make a call on him. I don't rate him, but it would be disappointing if we delisted a smooth-moving wingman without seeing what he can do at the highest level. At the same time though, how does he ever get that AFL chance if he doesn't earn it?

Ralphyboy

All Australian
May 25, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Lol I know

I just think he's a tricky case, maybe I want him to be better than he is because of his speed
He is a second year player. I think Allir, O'Reidon, Dawson and Rose took 2,3,or 4 years in the system before they were AFL ready. I think the question for Bell is whether in 1 or 2 years he can perform at AFL level.

I think his numbers are trending positively:

The swans will no doubt make an assessment whether in 1 or 2 years his performance will continue to improve to the point he is AFL ready.

He is a second year player. I think Allir, O'Reidon, Dawson and Rose took 2,3,or 4 years in the system before they were AFL ready. I think the question for Bell is whether in 1 or 2 years he can perform at AFL level.

View attachment 698451

View attachment 698450
View attachment 698452

The swans will no doubt make an assessment whether in 1 or 2 years his performance will continue to improve to the point he is AFL ready.

But to me it's not about his readiness. I think we could throw him into the senior side now and his body would be able to hold up, but I just don't think he's that good. His awareness and skill level is shocking at NEAFL level, so it's hard to imagine that ever rectifying itself at the highest level. But I'd rather us know sooner rather than later instead of persisting with him and keeping him on the list for another year or two for nothing.

Oct 29, 2007
Lake Oval
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
SMFC. PMFC,OAFC
But to me it's not about his readiness. I think we could throw him into the senior side now and his body would be able to hold up, but I just don't think he's that good. His awareness and skill level is shocking at NEAFL level, so it's hard to imagine that ever rectifying itself at the highest level. But I'd rather us know sooner rather than later instead of persisting with him and keeping him on the list for another year or two for nothing.
FCS you say throw him in then once again you proceed to bag him . Maybe have a think about it before going in a frenzy.

Jun 19, 2011
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Wallabies

View attachment 698451

View attachment 698450
View attachment 698452

Those numbers give a good reflection of how his role has changed this year. More time in the guts of the midfield (more handballs & tackling) and less time up forward (fewer goals).

FCS you say throw him in then once again you proceed to bag him . Maybe have a think about it before going in a frenzy.

I didn't say throw him in, I said I'd like to see him tried at senior level at some point this year before I think a call is made on him, because if he's no good as I think is the case, I'd rather know now than two years down the track after we've persisted with him. I don't fancy another Robinson case.

Jul 20, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans

View attachment 698451

View attachment 698450
View attachment 698452

This is true though unlike those other players we have ‘had a look’ at Bell over an additional 4-6 years since he joined the academy, so we are probably better prepared to make that decision compared to those other players.

This is true though unlike those other players we have ‘had a look’ at Bell over an additional 4-6 years since he joined the academy, so we are probably better prepared to make that decision compared to those other players.

... and I guess that is why he got an extension and Brown did not. The Club clearly see an upside with him. At times this year he has looked terrific, other times not so. I think his kicking and game awareness is better than Caesar thinks but he has a lot to work on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

momentbymoment

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 9, 2014
Noosa
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Liverpool
Happy to see him stay in the NEAFL this year - to build his body and develop.

IMHO he is going to be a gun next year and for the decade to follow.

Yep we've seen how quickly past midfielders Hewett, Florent and Dawson established themselves as players after spending virtually entire seasons in the NEAFL. It's a route that's frowned upon by enthusiastic supporters but it's one I think benefits the player in the long run.

DavyRed

Club Legend
Nov 5, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Yep we've seen how quickly past midfielders Hewett, Florent and Dawson established themselves as players after spending virtually entire seasons in the NEAFL. It's a route that's frowned upon by enthusiastic supporters but it's one I think benefits the player in the long run.
And it’s one that in years gone by was generally understood and accepted. Youngsters were given time to learn their craft without the pressure to immediately perform like veteran champions.

But Bell should come straight in?

Oct 17, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
I feel Florent was a different case. From memory he got a lot of first team football in his first season probably before he was physically ready. And only started to look really comfortable in his second season.

I think it is hard to gauge. Earlier in the season I remember people saying Blakey was not ready and should be left in the reserves till next year.

I don't think Rowbottom/Mcinerney/Stoddart are ready to be regulars. But I think it would be beneficial to get one or two more games this season to feel the pace of AFL footy so they know what standard they are working towards for next year.

I feel Florent was a different case. From memory he got a lot of first team football in his first season probably before he was physically ready. And only started to look really comfortable in his second season.

I think it is hard to gauge. Earlier in the season I remember people saying Blakey was not ready and should be left in the reserves till next year.

I don't think Rowbottom/Mcinerney/Stoddart are ready to be regulars. But I think it would be beneficial to get one or two more games this season to feel the pace of AFL footy so they know what standard they are working towards for next year.

Florent did play 9 games in his first season, but never more than four in a row, and I believe after about the mid-way point of the season we just left him in the NEAFL as it was clear he wasn't yet ready for senior footy.

Blakey is also a slightly different case, as a) he's an academy player, meaning he's already more familiar with the system and the senior players when he joins the club, similar to Heeney & Mills, and b) he's only really capable of popping up for cameos at the minute, and being a forward tucked away inside 50 allows you to get away with that at senior level. Rowbottom belongs on the ball, but you can be exposed much more in the midfield than if you're a forward away from the action. Why put a kid through that when he could be gaining more and more confidence by tearing games up in the reserves?

I think from what we've seen of Hewett, then Florent, then Dawson, that kind of earning-your-stripes perseverance has made them the quality young midfielders they are today.

Florent did play 9 games in his first season, but never more than four in a row, and I believe after about the mid-way point of the season we just left him in the NEAFL as it was clear he wasn't yet ready for senior footy.

Blakey is also a slightly different case, as a) he's an academy player, meaning he's already more familiar with the system and the senior players when he joins the club, similar to Heeney & Mills, and b) he's only really capable of popping up for cameos at the minute, and being a forward tucked away inside 50 allows you to get away with that at senior level. Rowbottom belongs on the ball, but you can be exposed much more in the midfield than if you're a forward away from the action. Why put a kid through that when he could be gaining more and more confidence by tearing games up in the reserves?

I think from what we've seen of Hewett, then Florent, then Dawson, that kind of earning-your-stripes perseverance has made them the quality young midfielders they are today.

Hayward from memory played sfa Ressies in his first year. Dawson was stuck in the 2s while others stunk it up in the ones.

And oh yeah, Allir spent a silly amount of time in the 2s. Good for his development?

I will be cranky if Rowbottom does not get a go in front of KJ, the new Jared Moore of our twos

Oct 17, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
I would still prefer the club try to give their best young players a taste of AFL football in their first or second season. Even if it it just one or two games playing a simple role with low expectations.

AFL seems a big step up from Neafl with the increased pace of the game and importance of team structures. Even Dawson who is a talented player that dominated the Neafl seemed to take a while to adjust to AFL level.

I would like to see Stoddart and Cameron get at least one game. I think Mcinerney and Rowbottom will have more of an impact than they did in their earlier games if they get another chance. Wicks, Pink, Foot, Bell and Amartey seem more unlikely.

But there may be less opportunities with Cunningham and Mcveigh returning. Gold Coast, Essendon, Carlton, Fremantle is a relatively easier run of games. But I think we will play our strongest team to keep the winning momentum going whilst we still have a faint chance of finals. Then Geelong, Giants and Port Adelaide is a tougher run and more daunting for a debutante. Then Melbourne and St Kilda as the final two games where they might throw a few kids in if we are out of finals contention unless we have to farewell veterans.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back