2nds Swans Reserves 2019

So we have a praccy this Saturday. Here's what could be part of the team with top ups to be added

B COR, Reg, Thurlow
HB Reynolds, Melican Macca
C McInerney Bell Jack
HF ...... McCartin Rose
F ..... Pink Wicks
R Cameron, Rowboat, Jones

IC four top up kids

All the above need the run for match fitness or are borderline for Round 1.

Blakey, Foot, Amartey and Stoddart would all get runs too surely.

I guess there will be no streaming of this game. Like most I am really interested in both the new kids and how Bell, Amartey and others are progressing.

Excellent news that Jones is having another run. I thought he was pretty good v GoCo. Some more time on the ground will help ensure he is ready for Round 1

Wolftone

Cancelled
Feb 1, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
I guess there will be no streaming of this game. Like most I am really interested in both the new kids and how Bell, Amartey and others are progressing.

Excellent news that Jones is having another run. I thought he was pretty good v GoCo. Some more time on the ground will help ensure he is ready for Round 1
There might be a club stream

On ANE-LX2J using BigFooty.com mobile app

It’d be nice to see Stoddart actually played the half back for once where he actually belongs. In the senior games and the scratch match a few weeks back, he was playing as this floater who is on the wing one minute and in the forward pocket the next. Then we wonder why he can’t insert himself into the game properly...

Jul 20, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
It’d be nice to see Stoddart actually played the half back for once where he actually belongs. In the senior games and the scratch match a few weeks back, he was playing as this floater who is on the wing one minute and in the forward pocket the next. Then we wonder why he can’t insert himself into the game properly...

Who says he belongs there?

That role you speak of is not too dissimilar to the role McInerney was playing in JLT and he looked a lot better at it.

I sure hope the coaches aren’t making excuses for players not being able to “insert themselves into the game” because they are being played off a wing instead of half back. If they are good enough they will insert themselves anywhere.

Who says he belongs there?

That role you speak of is not too dissimilar to the role McInerney was playing in JLT and he looked a lot better at it.

I sure hope the coaches aren’t making excuses for players not being able to “insert themselves into the game” because they are being played off a wing instead of half back. If they are good enough they will insert themselves anywhere.

Uh he was recruited as a half back and played there in his juniors.

If McInerney looked better, it’s because he is a wingman. That’s his position. Stoddart looked just as impressive on the half back in last year’s pre-season as McInerney so far has, yet at some point Horse just gave up on Stoddart as a half back flanker for no apparent reason.

Blood red

Team Captain
Sep 12, 2018
AFL Club
Sydney

If McInerney looked better, it’s because he is a wingman. That’s his position. Stoddart looked just as impressive on the half back in last year’s pre-season as McInerney so far has, yet at some point Horse just gave up on Stoddart as a half back flanker for no apparent reason.
Maybe not given up on him, but he simply gets pushed off the ball in a contest!
In open play he is fast and skilled, but when push comes to shove, he is just too light.
Another TAC cup draft issue, looks good against boys, but men bring him undone.

Jul 20, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans

Where he played in juniors does not mean he belongs there or will end up there....

I think McInerney looked quite a bit better but that’s my opinion.

I am also pretty sure they would have a reason for giving up on him as a half back flanker... If they have even given up on him in that spot...

Where he played in juniors does not mean he belongs there or will end up there....

I think McInerney looked quite a bit better but that’s my opinion.

I am also pretty sure they would have a reason for giving up on him as a half back flanker... If they have even given up on him in that spot...

McInerney looked better because he is a wingman and he was playing on the wing. You are judging two youngsters against each other when one has an advantage over the other. I don't agree with the philosophy of 'toughen up' when you're a 19 year old kid who is already being asked to take on new positions that are new to you. Just because Mills could do it, doesn't mean every teenager will be able to, nor should we expect them to. If we didn't think Stoddart could be used as a half back flanker with his pace, and weren't willing to be patient with him due to his size, then we shouldn't have drafted him.

Maybe not given up on him, but he simply gets pushed off the ball in a contest!
In open play he is fast and skilled, but when push comes to shove, he is just too light.
Another TAC cup draft issue, looks good against boys, but men bring him undone.

That is the same of any youngster who plays on the outside though. They're never going to be strong enough when the push comes to shove. Look at Florent in his first year, boy amongst men. Ditto Hayward, ditto McInerney, ditto Hiscox when he debuted. Even Papley was lucky he was a forward pocket because every time he wasn't crumbing goals in his first season I was genuinely fearful he would be broken in half.

Jul 20, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
McInerney looked better because he is a wingman and he was playing on the wing. You are judging two youngsters against each other when one has an advantage over the other. I don't agree with the philosophy of 'toughen up' when you're a 19 year old kid who is already being asked to take on new positions that are new to you. Just because Mills could do it, doesn't mean every teenager will be able to, nor should we expect them to. If we didn't think Stoddart could be used as a half back flanker with his pace, and weren't willing to be patient with him due to his size, then we shouldn't have drafted him.
If anyone has an advantage it is Stoddart who has spent a year in the AFL system.

I have watched both players on how they approach the contest and what they do while they are there. I have rated McInerney higher and believe his AFL prospects are higher based on his competitiveness (not “toughness”), which I believe is a natural trait. No positions involved.

That’s the end of it.

Stoddart imo will not make it as an AFL footballer. Happy to be proven wrong.

Jul 20, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
That is the same of any youngster who plays on the outside though. They're never going to be strong enough when the push comes to shove. Look at Florent in his first year, boy amongst men. Ditto Hayward, ditto McInerney, ditto Hiscox when he debuted. Even Papley was lucky he was a forward pocket because every time he wasn't crumbing goals in his first season I was genuinely fearful he would be broken in half.

Florent in his first year was prepared to get the hard ball, regardless of his size. I suggested he will become a genuine inside outside player, most didn’t agree.

Hayward in his first year was prepared to get the hard ball, regardless of his size.

Papley in his first year was prepared to get the hard ball, regardless of his size.

Hiscox was not prepared to get the hard ball and put his body on the line and he is gone!

Competitiveness is not a trait that can be taught imo. You either have it or you don’t.

McCartin is another one that demonstrated that and he played in his first year against the odds as a result.

If anyone has an advantage it is Stoddart who has spent a year in the AFL system.

I have watched both players on how they approach the contest and what they do while they are there. I have rated McInerney higher and believe his AFL prospects are higher based on his competitiveness (not “toughness”), which I believe is a natural trait. No positions involved.

That’s the end of it.

Stoddart imo will not make it as an AFL footballer. Happy to be proven wrong.

I'm not disputing that, but we may never know how they stack up in competitiveness if one has the luxury of playing their preferred role while the other is moved around like a pawn. Stoddart's issue to me is not competitiveness. I've seen him run hard both ways and give second and third efforts (which admittedly don't come off well due to his lack of strength). I think his issue is confidence. He doesn't look like a kid who backs himself and it's probably because he hasn't been given much of a chance to shine.

When your coach puts your magnet on the board in the forward pocket, when your greatest traits are your run and speed and your experience is on the half back flank, I can see why he would be low on confidence as opposed to a kid who is being backed in in their desired role, like McInerney. Even in the NEAFL last year, they were stuffing around with Stoddart playing him in the forward half, and his first ever AFL game he didn't even get to play in the position he was most familiar with. How you can't see how this would be detrimental to his development is baffling.

Blood red

Team Captain
Sep 12, 2018
AFL Club
Sydney
I completely agree with you.
Play him in the NEAFL for a few more years, half back flank is probably a good idea.
My arguement isn't that he is not a good player, what I am saying is that boys who play men are often better investments than TAC Cup legends.
80k year 1... 100k year 2... plus another year at least.
So to get him up to speed will be at least 240k.
Wouldn't it be better to let him go through the draft, play in the VFL/ SANFL etc and pick him up in a couple more years?
But pick players who will be ready to go year 1 or year 2 at the latest??

I completely agree with you.
Play him in the NEAFL for a few more years, half back flank is probably a good idea.
My arguement isn't that he is not a good player, what I am saying is that boys who play men are often better investments than TAC Cup legends.
80k year 1... 100k year 2... plus another year at least.
So to get him up to speed will be at least 240k.
Wouldn't it be better to let him go through the draft, play in the VFL/ SANFL etc and pick him up in a couple more years?
But pick players who will be ready to go year 1 or year 2 at the latest??

It depends though. If Stoddart was played off the half back flank when he debuted, who knows, he might have displayed enough impressive qualities to out-weigh the lack of physicality in his game. We are happy with McVeigh on the HBF even though he is scared to be touched. Same as a small forward, another role that doesn't demand as much physicality, hence why Papley and Ronke thrived in their debut seasons. Being able to match it with the men is important but it's not essential if you have other qualities to compensate for it. I think Stoddart has those other qualities, but unfortunately we haven't been able to see them yet because the games he did play he played as a fringe midfielder and a small forward, and that has carried over into this year if the pre-season scratch match where Stoddart was tucked away in the forward pocket is anything to go by.

Irrespective of whether McInerney was playing in his 'natural' position, I was really impressed with his ball handling and attack on the ball.

Not as convinced by Studs. Needs a big year in NEAFL and a bigger one in the weight room.

Irrespective of whether McInerney was playing in his 'natural' position, I was really impressed with his ball handling and attack on the ball.

Not as convinced by Studs. Needs a big year in NEAFL and a bigger one in the weight room.

For the record I wasn't speaking against McInerney at all, wasn't even me who brought him up. But since we're apparently in the business of comparing the two young'n's, here's some interesting reading... I said that McInerney reminded me a bit of Stoddart so far this pre-season, and he's been received almost as adoringly as Stoddart was the same time last year as evidenced below. A year later, McInerney is the new hope and Stoddart is on the scrap-heap. This is all I'm talking about by tempering expectations on the youngsters and the difference in a kid in their natural role vs a kid being asked to play in unfamiliar roles in this early stage of their careers.

Watched this young fella in the very limited minutes he got in the practice match against GWS. Sure didn't let himself or the team down. No standing off, got right into the mix and I reckon the coaches would have been rapt. May not play seniors this year but looks a real chance to make a big impact next season with a year in the system. :D

We should call him Ace, as in Ryley Ace of Spys (Riley Ace of Spies).

Once again the bottom dwellers waste their chances and dash their hopes on early draft picks. The Swans continue to choose wisely in what is traditionally our rich vein of late picks.

Very good start...probably isnt physically ready yet but looks like he can play

I like Stoddart a lot.

Damn Stoddart. Fast becoming a favourite.

Stoddart again. He's really impressed.

Florent Fox and Stoddart have been almost arrogant this JLT series so far lol

Loving it

I just about jumped in the air when in the last game, he looked in trouble down back - then just put on the burners and got us moving.

How long since we've had any of that down back?

Blood red

Team Captain
Sep 12, 2018
AFL Club
Sydney
For the record I wasn't speaking against McInerney at all, wasn't even me who brought him up. But since we're apparently in the business of comparing the two young'n's, here's some interesting reading... I said that McInerney reminded me a bit of Stoddart so far this pre-season, and he's been received almost as adoringly as Stoddart was the same time last year as evidenced below. A year later, McInerney is the new hope and Stoddart is on the scrap-heap. This is all I'm talking about by tempering expectations on the youngsters and the difference in a kid in their natural role vs a kid being asked to play in unfamiliar roles in this early stage of their careers.
I think Stoddart should be seen as what he is... a talented prospect.
No 19 year old should be shown the scrap heap, but he needs to get much bigger if the investment is to pay off.
I don't think anyone has bagged his skills or committment in any of the games he has played.
He is team oriented and fast, but the AFL level is a big step up from NEAFL (obviously) and the bodies are bigger too. Currently, his size doesn't allow him to excel at that higher level.

I think Stoddart should be seen as what he is... a talented prospect.
No 19 year old should be shown the scrap heap, but he needs to get much bigger if the investment is to pay off.
I don't think anyone has bagged his skills or committment in any of the games he has played.
He is team oriented and fast, but the AFL level is a big step up from NEAFL (obviously) and the bodies are bigger too. Currently, his size doesn't allow him to excel at that higher level.

I agree completely. Doesn't mean he shouldn't be given a chance in the pre-season to do what we recruited him for.

Worry Dtufs is sharing with Toblerone Pinkster and is being starved.

Maybe he will always be a wiry type. If so let him rip. Btw I see Blakey is listed as 80kg. Suspect he will not put on more 7kg over ft he next ten years. Not worried. He's already showing some strength out of kilter with his build.

Back