2nds Swans Reserves 2019

Lol.

I thought I might see some chat about the game.

Just more chest pumping though.

Hmm let’s see

We’re not allowed to talk about how good Rowbottom was, because the only spot he can have a crack at is Jack’s spot, and we’re not allowed to bag Jack.

We’re not allowed to talk about how good Menzel was, because the only spot he can have a crack at is Reid’s spot, and we’re not allowed to bag Reid.

I give up Ted. You’ve put a gag order on all vulnerable members of the senior team, so what point is there in discussing the reserves?

How long did Menzel play in today's game?
Given next week's NEAFL bye, any chance Menzel will play seniors next week?

70-80 minutes according to the Swans write-up. I think he'll play next week, given the NEAFL team has a bye, but if it were up to me, he'd stay there for at least one more reserves game. I see him as too valuable to the senior team to rush back, given his history with injuries. I also just don't see the point in rushing any player's back, unless the club actually believes finals is on the cards (suuuuurely not!)

DavyRed

Club Legend
Nov 5, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
70-80 minutes according to the Swans write-up. I think he'll play next week, given the NEAFL team has a bye, but if it were up to me, he'd stay there for at least one more reserves game. I see him as too valuable to the senior team to rush back, given his history with injuries. I also just don't see the point in rushing any player's back, unless the club actually believes finals is on the cards (suuuuurely not!)
I don’t see the logic of playing him in the Firsts just because the Reserves aren’t playing. He’s either ready or he’s not and, in my view, he’s not yet. That’s not a criticism of his play today as I would think he and the Swans would be happy with what he achieved but I can’t see them hurrying him along. Safety first in this ‘rebuilding’ phase.

stevie26

Club Legend
Mar 3, 2016
SE Asia
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney women's team
Rose is too good at this level imo. (Laughing heard in the background) However, needs to look for a better option inside 50 rather than blazing away at the big sticks from a long way out. (ie. goal hungry a la Kevin Bartlet) Needs a block in the firsts to see what he can do there. May surprise a few.

Thanks for the English lesson guys!

Rose is too good at this level imo. (Laughing heard in the background) However, needs to look for a better option inside 50 rather than blazing away at the big sticks from a long way out. (ie. goal hungry a la Kevin Bartlet) Needs a block in the firsts to see what he can do there. May surprise a few.

Thanks for the English lesson guys!

I didn't think he was that good today. Aside from the fact his FIGJAM reared it's ugly head again, I thought he was also sluggish to get into the game, and padded his stats late by getting thrown into the last several centre bounces in a row in dead-time, winning a ****-load of the ball, and then doing nothing with it. Hence the midfield belting we copped in the fourth quarter when Uni went on their scoring surge.

stevie26

Club Legend
Mar 3, 2016
SE Asia
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney women's team
I didn't think he was that good today. Aside from the fact his FIGJAM reared it's ugly head again, I thought he was also sluggish to get into the game, and padded his stats late by getting thrown into the last several centre bounces in a row in dead-time, winning a ****-load of the ball, and then doing nothing with it. Hence the midfield belting we copped in the fourth quarter when Uni went on their scoring surge.
Just think he deserves another (last) chance for a few games at the top level before we decide to delist him or not. Will probably do well in the SANFL.

4 or 5 goals from Uni in the last were long shots from 50 or outside that would normally be low percentage shots on goal. Luckily, they all sailed through on the wind.

Just think he deserves another (last) chance for a few games at the top level before we decide to delist him or not. Will probably do well in the SANFL.

I don't dispute that but there are others ahead of him. Our forward line is already chockers with talent, albeit young talent, and that's not even including Buddy and Menzel who we still have to accommodate. And of all those languishing in the NEAFL, I'd also have Rowbottom ahead of Rose, as both a small forward or a midfielder. So I really just don't see where his opportunity is going to come from. Given that, he really needs to be better than he has been in the last few weeks in the reserves IMO.

stevie26

Club Legend
Mar 3, 2016
SE Asia
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney women's team
I don't dispute that but there are others ahead of him. Our forward line is already chockers with talent, albeit young talent, and that's not even including Buddy and Menzel who we still have to accommodate. And of all those languishing in the NEAFL, I'd also have Rowbottom ahead of Rose, as both a small forward or a midfielder. So I really just don't see where his opportunity is going to come from. Given that, he really needs to be better than he has been in the last few weeks in the reserves IMO.
Yeah......Agree on Rowbottom before Rose or any others. Wasn't sure why he was dropped in the first place.

I THOUGHT I WAS ABOUT TO READ SOMETING ON OUR RESSIES
Stop yelling at me Bedders, saying you can't be bothered changing from cap locks is not an excuse. It's rude.

Our reserves are coming along quite nicely... I'm especially interested in our young talls and their development. Pity about the injuries...

I don’t smoke! However Kirky, if you’d like to provide the details of your next meeting at Oxford Dictionary Synonym committee, I’ll swing by to see if we can get that changed as they clearly don’t understand the meaning of the word synonym and it’s relevance to these words! I both suspect and assume they’ll tell us where to go!
Mick, I like you, but you are in the wrong here. You can be a smart arse, and I'll laugh, but it won't make you right... ;):p

You can't suspect and assume at the same time. This a case of where they 'nearly' mean the same thing, but not quite, and the not quite changes the context completely.

So, any word on Hayden and when he likely to make a showing? Surely he must be close soon...

Mick Oxlong

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 27, 2007
AFL Club
Sydney
Mick, I like you, but you are in the wrong here. You can be a smart arse, and I'll laugh, but it won't make you right... ;):p

You can't suspect and assume at the same time. This a case of where they 'nearly' mean the same thing, but not quite, and the not quite changes the context completely.

So, any word on Hayden and when he likely to make a showing? Surely he must be close soon...

You know what, let’s agree to disagree. I’ll take the anecdotal line as per Oxford Dictionary and you can take your version...I’m happy with that!

Re Hayden (McLean), I didn’t even know what was going on myself until last night. 6 weeks apparently from start of May so mid June (or 6 weeks after that knowing our medical dept)?

You know what, let’s agree to disagree. I’ll take the anecdotal line as per Oxford Dictionary and you can take your version...I’m happy with that!

Re Hayden (McLean), I didn’t even know what was going on myself until last night. 6 weeks apparently from start of May so mid June (or 6 weeks after that knowing our medical dept)?
Seriously??? What happened to him? don't worry, I'll go and find out... What a buggar!

Jul 9, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
If memory serves... Big Hayden last played up at the Suns in round 2. Looked chirpy on the sideline v Redlands and less than comfortable the following week v GWS.
I suspect his surgery may have taken place that week.
I assume he’ll be back when he’s ready 😎

Blood red

Team Captain
Sep 12, 2018
AFL Club
Sydney
Hmmmm......

Highlights show 2 cheap ones out the back from Menzel and another more difficult. All at the scoring end. Any stats on contested marks or goal assists?

Maybe some are being premature seeking his elevation?
Weren't there a couple go begging due to Rose blazing away too.
He could have had 5 plus.

Back