2nds Swans Reserves 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Well we just got away with that one. I thought NT really challenged in the second half and we nearly fatally let ourselves down with some very poor disposal by hand and foot. Luckily we were always able to do something to just keep our distance on the scoreboard.

Clarke was busy all game but I thought Jack faded in the second half. Pink didn’t get a huge number of disposals but was very solid at the back.

Nice to see the top ups get a few goals with Jackson Barling grabbing two and Kyle Martin, who worked hard kicking one, along with NDS boy Johnny Pawle picking up three.

What a tough watch, unexpectedly so after I was looking forward to a nice relaxing NEAFL game after the seniors debacle.

Three players really stood out to me. Stoddart was the obvious. Taken his game to another level. But I'm still not sold he's ready for senior footy, because this game was very low intensity compared to AFL, and he wouldn't get away with half of the things he attempts in the reserves if he tried it at senior level. But we won't know until we try.

Amartey is a lively type, and if he can provide what Aliir provides in the ruck, giving us the luxury of being able to have Aliir back in defence, then IDGAF how "ready" Amartey is or not. Get him in the seniors!

And the third was Clarke, who was clean and relatively composed by his (not so lofty) standards. I don't see a place for him in the senior team with Rowbottom playing well, but credit to him he did all you could ask of a bloke who was dropped.

Good cameos by McInerney and Bell, but that's all they were - cameos. Pink looks really solid as a defender, my NEAFL favourite Wicks yet again brought A-grade pressure, and Foot is slowly getting more involved each week. And I keep on repeating myself, but Hirst is genuinely playing as if he would be willing to throw himself in front of a moving semi-trailer to win a contest. When he actually starts winning them, I think we'll have a player on our hands.

Menzel and Jack were questionable IMO, which may not be a bad thing depending on where you sit on the youth / experience debate.

Have got to say, I am not sold on Rayner. Not even completely sure we will draft him now. Reckon he has gone backwards a bit.

Based on their attributes, if it were between him and Ellem I would probably go with Ellem due to his speed and attack on the contest.

Barling and Martin impressed from the Toppies. Pawle has footy smarts. Few of the Listies impressed.

Thought Grassy showed some better signs and Pink and Amartey were solid. Bell got enough ball but his disposal looked like he was still concussed.

Neither Stoddard nor McInerney showed enough. McLean is not tall enough to ruck and has insufficient skills to make it as a kpp.

KJ was classy in the first half but could not run out the second. Expect Jose Horsey will play him for yet another sub par game v CarlCrims.

Have got to say, I am not sold on Rayner. Not even completely sure we will draft him now. Reckon he has gone backwards a bit.

Based on their attributes, if it were between him and Ellem I would probably go with Ellem due to his speed and attack on the contest.
Sadly I’m forced to agree with you about Rayner. Just a different player this year, missing marks and tackles, not running as much and disposals not what they were. If drafting decisions are based only on this year’s performances he’s really going to struggle to get drafted.

Barling and Martin impressed from the Toppies. Pawle has footy smarts. Few of the Listies impressed.

Thought Grassy showed some better signs and Pink and Amartey were solid. Bell got enough ball but his disposal looked like he was still concussed.

Neither Stoddard nor McInerney showed enough. McLean is not tall enough to ruck and has insufficient skills to make it as a kpp.

KJ was classy in the first half but could not run out the second. Expect Jose Horsey will play him for yet another sub par game v CarlCrims.
‘Grassy’ Knoll had me pulling my hair out. One minute he was making a great second effort and attacking the ball at ground level or laying a tackle, the next he was badly missing a target with a kick or dropping a simple mark. Did you see when he was out bodied in a marking contest by someone half his size? Still not sure about him yet, hopefully he develops over the rest of the season.

Sadly I’m forced to agree with you about Rayner. Just a different player this year, missing marks and tackles, not running as much and disposals not what they were. If drafting decisions are based only on this year’s performances he’s really going to struggle to get drafted.

He also finished his HSC last year so he doesn’t even have schooling in the way of pushing himself.

It’s a shame.

Some of the players looked physically distressed at the end of the game. So a great effort to win.

Pawle in particular was one of those and managed to kick 3 goals. I wonder how he would go if he was fully fit? Hopefully has room to expand his tank.

What is going on with the goal kicking at this club? Absolutely atrocious in front of goal just like the seniors.

Amartey is showing promise and seemed just as likely to win a tap out as Grassy with added bonus of collecting possessions around the ground. Still green but may find himself in the seniors soon given our lack of options. I would hate to see Aliir get injured by getting overloaded in the ruckwork, an issue Horse raised in his aftermatch.

Clarke is an absolute pinball when he has the ball. No-one seems to know what he will do with the ball including himself. Having said that, he is an absolutely elite runner and still has top notch ability as a run-with player in the seniors.

Jack looked better than I have seen him for a long time but did fade a bit. Didn't think that I would say this but he laooks almost fit enough to play seniors.

Not much to get excited about otherwise in terms of young ones, still a lot of rough edges to be ironed out for a lot of them.Stoddart featured but I agree that he may not translate his game to the seniors.

Some of the players looked physically distressed at the end of the game. So a great effort to win.

Pawle in particular was one of those and managed to kick 3 goals. I wonder how he would go if he was fully fit? Hopefully has room to expand his tank.

What is going on with the goal kicking at this club? Absolutely atrocious in front of goal just like the seniors.

Amartey is showing promise and seemed just as likely to win a tap out as Grassy with added bonus of collecting possessions around the ground. Still green but may find himself in the seniors soon given our lack of options. I would hate to see Aliir get injured by getting overloaded in the ruckwork, an issue Horse raised in his aftermatch.

Clarke is an absolute pinball when he has the ball. No-one seems to know what he will do with the ball including himself. Having said that, he is an absolutely elite runner and still has top notch ability as a run-with player in the seniors.

Jack looked better than I have seen him for a long time but did fade a bit. Didn't think that I would say this but he laooks almost fit enough to play seniors.

Not much to get excited about otherwise in terms of young ones, still a lot of rough edges to be ironed out for a lot of them.Stoddart featured but I agree that he may not translate his game to the seniors.
From set shots we are actually number one in the AFL for accuracy (before the round anyway). Reid and Heeney the main reasons for this.

I have been pretty disappointed with foot so far this year. Just seemed to do very little that stood out. But in the last few matches he has shown some real improvement and looks to be more comfortable.

Hopefully he can keep improving over the rest of the season and then back up with a strong preseason and push for selection next year.

We really need some of these faster types that we have drafted recently in the seniors but they haven't really developed the way I am sure we hoped they would.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Original disposals

Updated disposals
36 Clarke (+1)
30 Jack (+1)
28 Stoddart
24 Foot (+1)
23 McInerney (+3)
22 Wicks (+1)
19 Bell
15 Amartey Pink (+1) McKellar (+2)
14 Flanagan (+7)
12 Hirst (+2)
11 Pawle (+1) Kilpatrick Barling (+1)
9 Rayner (+1) Knoll Barkley (+2)
8 Dol (+1)
7 McLean
6 Martin
5 Menzel

Brain has gone?

Original disposals

Updated disposals
36 Clarke (+1)
30 Jack (+1)
28 Stoddart
24 Foot (+1)
23 McInerney (+3)
22 Wicks (+1)
19 Bell
14 Flanagan (+7)
12 Hirst (+2)
8 Dol (+1)
7 McLean
6 Martin
5 Menzel

Brain has gone?

Menzel with 5. Wow.
Playing for an extension and does that.

Original disposals

Updated disposals
36 Clarke (+1)
30 Jack (+1)
28 Stoddart
24 Foot (+1)
23 McInerney (+3)
22 Wicks (+1)
19 Bell
14 Flanagan (+7)
12 Hirst (+2)
8 Dol (+1)
7 McLean
6 Martin
5 Menzel

Brain has gone?

Brain should never have been there. I think Flanagan changed numbers during the game and the commentators were calling Geddes as number 48 when they actually should have referred to Flanagan (he started with number 50 something).

Anyway, some of those numbers still look off to me. Those numbers at the bottom look very light on.

I kinda feel for Menzel. His body just will not go.

It's his head mate. I just think he's an opportunist forward (and a good one at that) who is just unable to change his game to be dour when he needs to be.

Watch from 2 hrs 1 minute. That's just unacceptable even at suburban level.

Last edited:
wI2BUxO.png

O694AQb.png

SYDNEY

B:
56. C Flanagan 51. R Barkley 6. J Thurlow
HB: 3. J McVeigh 41. H McLean 33. R Stoddart
C: 32. J Bell 42. R Fox 27. J McInerney
HF: 16. Z Foot 47. T Pink 49. C Hirst
F: 2. D Menzel 46. J Amartey 1. J Rose
R: 48. M Knoll 45. S Wicks 4. R Clarke
Int: 55. J Barling 53. K McKellar 58. L Parks 50. S Thorne
Emg: 59. N Brewer 57. J Dol 54. M Geddes

In: 3. J McVeigh 50. S Thorne 6. J Thurlow 42. R Fox 58. L Parks 1. J Rose
Out: 15. K Jack (AFL) 59. J Rayner 52. J Pawle 50. C Kilpatrick 56. K Martin 57. J Dol (all omitted)

SOUTHPORT

B:
19. T Fields 35. H Arnold 40. J Mentha
HB: 6. D Fyfe 24. E Reeves 14. B Murdoch
C: 12. R Clark 34. T Roos 3. M Shaw
HF: 38. T Bowie 10. M Willis 18. C Ford
F: 4. M Manteit 23. J Turner 21. J Shea
R: 22. J Hall 5. A Boston 2. D Mutu
Int: 11. A Aurrichio 32. J Lyons 27. J O'Shea 31. K Sheers 44. K Boakye*
Emg: 43. E Baru 25. J Hinds 36. S Jewell

In: 22. J Hall 11. A Aurrichio 32. J Lyons 44. K Boakye 31. K Sheers 35. H Arnold 27. J O'Shea 2. D Mutu
Out: 30. T Stubbs 33. M Doran 15. J Taylor (all injured) 7. R Davis (unavailable) 16. L Dale 8. S Tape 17. M Johnson 29. J Williams (all managed)

Wow. The domestic airlines are starting to stink like "chance it with Ansett".

Feel sorry for our blokes who feel on the verge of senior selection, let alone the Toppies and their families.

Wow. The domestic airlines are starting to stink like "chance it with Ansett".

Feel sorry for our blokes who feel on the verge of senior selection, let alone the Toppies and their families.

New post below it says game now tomorrow at BISP at 4.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back