2nds Swans Reserves 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Went to the game yesterday. Absolutely horrible conditions with a howling westerly blowing diagonally across the ground. It reduced the game to a slog fest as the ball went all over the place.

The best players list is submitted by each team involved.

Do you think the bests are chosen by the coaches, or some one else. They have seemed to be quite strange at times during the year.

The Swans website article is done by the journo.

Hopefully mcinery makes it

Great kick of the footy and of hb would be nice
One slight qualifier for McInerney is that for all his dash and exciting play he does make a habit of running himself into trouble a bit too often (usually after having burnt a couple of his teammates on the way).

For every exciting run there’s a turnover not too far away.

It’s a slight criticism in the grand scheme of things but hopefully with more experience he’ll pick his runs a bit more appropriately.

One slight qualifier for McInerney is that for all his dash and exciting play he does make a habit of running himself into trouble a bit too often (usually after having burnt a couple of his teammates on the way).

It’s a slight criticism in the grand scheme of things but hopefully with more experience he’ll pick his runs a bit more appropriately.

Replacement for Jones? ;) :p

If I were to hazard a guess I’d say the coaches have told him to back himself / be confident in his ability. Over the course of time his decision making will improve.

Adding to that, he probably feels a greater responsibility given the academy kids around him and perhaps surrounded by more senior AFL listed players, he’d be less likely to burn them or think he has to ‘do it all’.

Pink made the best players list in the last 5 NEAFL games. We should keep him on the list, he's progressing well.

Should get an upgrade to the senior list.
His form could possibly have harmed the chances of Maibaum being retained.

Should get an upgrade to the senior list.
His form could possibly have harmed the chances of Maibaum being retained.

They are different types of players, though. Maibaum is more your stay-at-home fullback, better for less mobile but bigger key forwards. Pink is more athletic, you'd rather him take a forward who is a leading target.

There is potentially a need for both of them. It would have been nice to see some AFL level action from either of them this year.

They are different types of players, though. Maibaum is more your stay-at-home fullback, better for less mobile but bigger key forwards. Pink is more athletic, you'd rather him take a forward who is a leading target.

There is potentially a need for both of them. It would have been nice to see some AFL level action from either of them this year.

I am not sure they are that much different. Pink is 1cm taller and 1kg lighter. Pretty sure Pink is faster. I reckon Pink could develop to do either role to be honest. Keeps his feet and doesn’t get pushed aside easily.

Both players entering their 4th year on the list. Maibaum quite likely to be a late starter to season 2020 as well.

Just depends whether they want to persevere with both or cut Maibaum and put that time into another up and coming defender via the draft.

Pink certainly ahead now given his body of work this year and appears to have sorted out injuries from his first couple of years.

kvIXevq.png

RTkazm1.png

How the hell can bastinac have 41 possessions without having the clamps put on him early in game?
Surely the Sharks will tag the crap out of him!
Can't understand how Swans dont see it as a chance to blood a 'run with' player, or maybe there isn't a player capable?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the NEAFL does outside types like McInerney no favours in terms of judging whether they'll make it or not. Easy to look like a superstar when you have so much time and space to work with. Then they get to AFL level and just struggle to adapt once that time and space is taken away from them. See: Rohan, Stoddart, Hiscox, B. Jack etc.

Not saying McInerney will follow in their footsteps (I hope he doesn't), but I've also not bothered to get too optimistic about his form as I've seen it all before and been disappointed. What will be will be!

Interesting they've given Bell second best. I didn't have him in my best. Suggests he was given a role to play.
Does seem a little strange, although not as strange as Cameron somehow getting 4th best!

Just looking at the team stats, we really did get smashed in possessions, marks and inside 50s. Appreciate that the conditions would have made it difficult for both forward set ups but our defence still did well to keep them to 82 points given how much the ball was down there.

Does seem a little strange, although not as strange as Cameron somehow getting 4th best!

Just looking at the team stats, we really did get smashed in possessions, marks and inside 50s. Appreciate that the conditions would have made it difficult for both forward set ups but our defence still did well to keep them to 82 points given how much the ball was down there.

It's one of those ones where you'd watch the game again to get a better understanding but not even I could suffer watching that again, which is no disrespect to the players, just the woeful conditions.

It's one of those ones where you'd watch the game again to get a better understanding but not even I could suffer watching that again, which is no disrespect to the players, just the woeful conditions.
Oh agreed! It was a real shame but the wind definitely ruined the game as a spectacle.

I had a bit of a laugh at the match report on the NEAFL site where the Brisbane coach said “it was really windy, similar to a wet-weather game which probably brings you back down to the pack”. Apparently the Lions were reduced down to the Swans level - how sad for them.

Oh agreed! It was a real shame but the wind definitely ruined the game as a spectacle.

I had a bit of a laugh at the match report on the NEAFL site where the Brisbane coach said “it was really windy, similar to a wet-weather game which probably brings you back down to the pack”. Apparently the Lions were reduced down to the Swans level - how sad for them.

It's bullshit too. The skill errors produced by the wind means more turnovers which means more 2 way running and more contested ball.

All advantageous to the stronger and fitter listed players over our mid-late teenagers.

Pink made the best players list in the last 5 NEAFL games. We should keep him on the list, he's progressing well.
He definitely finished the year well. If he can start marking the ball more rather than punching the ball into oblivion I think he could improve further.

Barring injury, he's a money to line up in our backline next season IMO. What this means for Maibaum and where McCartin plays I don't know.

Reports in media saying that NT Thunder has been scrapped and won’t be in NEAFL next year. They struggled for wins but I think that’s a real shame. I’ll try to figure out how to do that Outline thing to post the paywall article but if others already know how please feel free.

Reports in media saying that NT Thunder has been scrapped and won’t be in NEAFL next year. They struggled for wins but I think that’s a real shame. I’ll try to figure out how to do that Outline thing to post the paywall article but if others already know how please feel free.
No need to outline. AFL website article is free and here it is:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back