Swans Reserves (ECFL comp) 2021 (VFL we fart in your general direction)

Remove this Banner Ad

I hope the reserves coaches are not only pushing Ling to be great defensively but to add more rebounding flair to his game. If he can do both to a high standard, he'll be very hard to ignore. Campbell is gonna move up the ground sooner rather than later, I suspect and there has never been more need for small defenders given the importance of small forwards in the game at the moment.

I felt watching on the weekend he was kind of playing defensively and then at one point he took off (I think in the third quarter) and started to take the game on. But then he went quiet again. I mean 19 disposals is ok off the backline but I wonder if he got a message to just focus on his defensive game.

It’d be nice to have the capacity to watch the game a few times to really zero in on players.

Hope they don’t stuff around with Campbell to much and get him up to the wing

I agree. I was all for developing Campbell on the HBF pre-season, but having seen how our back-line's gone this year, it's still very much a work in progress. Not the right environment for him to be learning the game in. He has great class and composure, you wouldn't want to compromise that by keeping him in our back line which is a hot mess right now. You can already see he is under enormous pressure back there.

I agree. I was all for developing Campbell on the HBF pre-season, but having seen how our back-line's gone this year, it's still very much a work in progress. Not the right environment for him to be learning the game in. He has great class and composure, you wouldn't want to compromise that by keeping him in our back line which is a hot mess right now. You can already see he is under enormous pressure back there.

But that’s ok. The knock on Campbell was he didn’t get enough of the ball. Putting him in an accountable role forces him to stay engaged. Even better (for him) if the defence is under siege.

But that’s ok. The knock on Campbell was he didn’t get enough of the ball. Putting him in an accountable role forces him to stay engaged. Even better (for him) if the defence is under siege.

I think he's getting enough of the ball now. He's averaging 16 disposals, which is impressive for an 18 year old in any position. Just not sure we're getting to see the best of his attributes at the minute, like his running and his foot skills, because he's winning so many of those possessions hemmed in the back pocket with no time or space to do anything. I get that he's learning and that's something he'll have to deal with eventually, but I think there can be such thing as a lesson that's too tough, even for a talent like Campbell.

Wing spots are in hot demand at the moment.. Stephens hasn't got a run yet.
Im fine with Campbell at half back. Keep hearing over and over again that its a great place to learn the game from. Maybe the game against the Suns will really open up and Campbell can exhibit his run and foot skills.

I think he's getting enough of the ball now. He's averaging 16 disposals, which is impressive for an 18 year old in any position. Just not sure we're getting to see the best of his attributes at the minute, like his running and his foot skills, because he's winning so many of those possessions hemmed in the back pocket with no time or space to do anything. I get that he's learning and that's something he'll have to deal with eventually, but I think there can be such thing as a lesson that's too tough, even for a talent like Campbell.

No question. And I’m sure at some point he’ll get a break in the reserves. But footy’s hard. You don’t get a golden ticket to a position like wing without showing you have the application and grunt fitness to play it. His kicking is sublime, but being focussed enough and fit enough to be in the right position often enough to receive the outlet ball often enough in enough space is a different thing entirely.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wing spots are in hot demand at the moment.. Stephens hasn't got a run yet.
Im fine with Campbell at half back. Keep hearing over and over again that its a great place to learn the game from. Maybe the game against the Suns will really open up and Campbell can exhibit his run and foot skills.

Stephens is a good example of what I was talking about above. When Kelly kicked his goal at the end the other night it was Stephens who got sucked into the inside when he should have been marking Kelly on the outside.

Stephens is a good example of what I was talking about above. When Kelly kicked his goal at the end the other night it was Stephens who got sucked into the inside when he should have been marking Kelly on the outside.
No, the leaders should have told him what to do, thats what leaders do, not blaming a 11 games. What did Lloyd, it was terrible leadership and personal decision making. He tagged McInerney.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

I am personally not sure he is still improving markedly and I think he has reached his ceiling.
Happy to be wrong.

He does try hard and the coaches do keep picking him so I could be wrong!

Just haven’t ever been particularly impressed with Bell. Just don’t think he has any stand out attributes.

Puts 100% in..... which in reality should be a pre requisite rather than a main attribute. I dont see scope for much more TBH.

Personally would accept any future pick of value at seasons end. Having said that, there are more pressing exits required on our list.

hence why half back is a good position for Campbell for the next year or two.. good place to learn field positioning.
No, the leaders should have told him what to do, thats what leaders do, not blaming a 11 games. What did Lloyd, it was terrible leadership and personal decision making. He tagged McInerney.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
Wheres Rampe???
Horse wouldve given someone a serve.. wouldn't have been Campbell. Lloyd, Cunningham??

No question. And I’m sure at some point he’ll get a break in the reserves. But footy’s hard. You don’t get a golden ticket to a position like wing without showing you have the application and grunt fitness to play it. His kicking is sublime, but being focussed enough and fit enough to be in the right position often enough to receive the outlet ball often enough in enough space is a different thing entirely.
Well Blakey did

He is overrated and imo if it wasn’t for his last name he would be in the 2s , should of been last year also at times.

Playing wing and not getting near it

Sick of hearing excuses for that guy

Well Blakey did

He is overrated and imo if it wasn’t for his last name he would be in the 2s , should of been last year also at times.

Playing wing and not getting near it

Sick of hearing excuses for that guy

I can’t recall reading a single excuse made for Blakey. People have different views about whether he commands a place in the 22, but no one has made excuses for him that I’ve read.

I can’t recall reading a single excuse made for Blakey. People have different views about whether he commands a place in the 22, but no one has made excuses for him that I’ve read.

The only excuses have been he is trying too hard. I am in that camp. I think he has been desperate to imprint on the game. The best examples have been his long shots at goal.

fwiw, I think he is getting better as he adjusts to his role. He certainly fights as hard as anyone for the contested ball. I reckon he is not creating enough space when we are in transition. This would help him be a more viable target.

Maybe a couple of weeks in the 2s would help him out. For me he is at the lower end of a best 22, but still Best 22 when fit and in form.

Just accept the

The fact is like it or not the NEAFL clubs have joined the VFL
Not really. Wasn't it the VFA before it was gobbled up by the AFL. The AFL needed to try to stop people saying they were still the VFL so when they took over the VFA they changed the name to the VFL a name they were still associated with very heavily

On JAT-L29 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Not really. Wasn't it the VFA before it was gobbled up by the AFL. The AFL needed to try to stop people saying they were still the VFL so when they took over the VFA they changed the name to the VFL a name they were still associated with very heavily

They destroyed the great VFA , they just want to control everything

Yeah I do tend to agree, at least on what’s we’ve seen of him so far.

That’s why I think Cunningham (stopper largely) and Lloyd (short kick play maker so to speak) are very good comparisons / likely positions for him currently (perhaps add Campbells spot too).

He is supposedly quick and though I think he has reasonable agility I am not sure I have seen lightning quick (he isn’t slow by any means). He rarely misses a pass by foot and he is rarely overawed which are absolutely AFL qualities.

I don’t think he is good enough a runner to remove wing players (Blakey, McInerney, Stephens, Florent, Gulden etc).

So I think they are the spots he is playing for if either should get injured.
Ling could take Hewett's place in the backs. Don't know what the * Hewett is doing there anyway. He should be in the mids

Doesn't he always look okay in the reserves though?
His first games in the seniors were not that bad. He did not seem out of place. Once he gets the pace he will be a good player. It is a pity injury impeded his progress and suppressed his agility. He seems to have got the agility back now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back