Swans Reserves (ECFL comp) 2021 (VFL we fart in your general direction)

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Well it's not , get over it.

The VFL is officially dead and Carlton will field it’s first stand-alone reserves side for in 19 years in a new-look 22 team second tier competition to launch in 2021.

The AFL confirmed on Thursday that teams will play in the yet-to-be-named competition for the eastern seaboard, with clubs to be based in New South Wales, Queensland and Victoria.

Of the 14 eastern seaboard AFL clubs, 11 will field standlone reserves teams with all the existing VFL clubs to be integrated in to the new competition.

Sounds like a new competition to me. No mention of parts of the NEAFL merging into the VFL.

SGBeach

Premiership Player
Jul 19, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
Just looked at the Draw..
We play GWS 3 times and dont play Brisbane ?
That suggests to me that it can't be a fair competition, so I guess its viewed as just a high level training games

Still very happy for the improvement on the NEAFL

Oct 18, 2018
AFL Club
Sydney

Sounds like a new competition to me. No mention of parts of the NEAFL merging into the VFL.
Would it have been progressive to include a Tassie team. Most of us forget about Tassie when we draw Australia. It is sorta east coast.

Sep 24, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Paddy still only training, not yet approved to play;

Paddy McCartin is just three weeks of contract training away from official AFL approval to return to games.

Former No.1 overall pick, McCartin will play with Sydney’s VFL side this year, but is yet to be fully ticked off by an AFL-appointed panel after repeated concussion issues.

Having trained for a month with Sydney, he is now a week into a month-long period of contact training that he must complete to be medically cleared.

Sydney’s VFL season does not officially start until April 17 against GWS, which could allow McCartin to play in that clash if given AFL approval.

McRobie

Norm Smith Medallist
Suspended
Jul 28, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Would the "reserves" be training with the seniors during the week?
Yeah I’m not 100 percent about that. Infact I’ve got no idea. Even if it’s reserves training. Just to get an idea of how he’s moving etc.

Yeah I’m not 100 percent about that. Infact I’ve got no idea. Even if it’s reserves training. Just to get an idea of how he’s moving etc.
Paddy is 1 week into 4 weeks of contact training, so that is the best start, we have 3 weeks to wait.

🤞

Jan 13, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Well it's not , get over it.
Actually Bedders I’m an old vic but the naming does matter here. There’s a sense from interstate clubs that they are in by invitation and the competition is Vic centric. Calling the second tier competition the VFL just feeds that.

Describe it as it is.

Oct 29, 2007
Lake Oval
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
SMFC. PMFC,OAFC
Actually Bedders I’m an old vic but the naming does matter here. There’s a sense from interstate clubs that they are in by invitation and the competition is Vic centric. Calling the second tier competition the VFL just feeds that.

Describe it as it is.
I totally agree that it shouldn't be , but it won't change because a dumb name on here. It's just typical of the AFL. Everyone under AFL should just breakaway from them

Jan 13, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
I totally agree that it shouldn't be , but it won't change because a dumb name on here. It's just typical of the AFL. Everyone under AFL should just breakaway from them
I actually kind of wonder whether Pridham’s review thing might not be a precursor to some sort of club revolution.

And I agree that the various local and junior competitions should break away. Their goals are incompatible.

Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance
I actually kind of wonder whether Pridham’s review thing might not be a precursor to some sort of club revolution.

And I agree that the various local and junior competitions should break away. Their goals are incompatible.
From an article I read it just might be. AFL wanted to conduct the review in house and clubs apparently went ballistic. Not sure if that argument is still in progress or not.

Jan 13, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
From an article I read it just might be. AFL wanted to conduct the review in house and clubs apparently went ballistic. Not sure if that argument is still in progress or not.
Well as someone heavily involved at the bottom end of the whole footy thing, the outcomes are simply deplorable.

Oct 9, 2001
2, 4, 6, 8
AFL Club
Sydney

The AFL won the fight. The review is being conducted in-house by the AFL. Just as the independent review requested by the Tasmanian Government into their Business Case for a team in Tasmania is now being conducted by Colin Carter, a former AFL Commissioner and President of Geelong.

The AFL always gets what it wants despite what its looks to the rest of us

Jan 13, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
The AFL won the fight. The review is being conducted in-house by the AFL. Just as the independent review requested by the Tasmanian Government into their Business Case for a team in Tasmania is now being conducted by Colin Carter, a former AFL Commissioner and President of Geelong.

The AFL always gets what it wants despite what its looks to the rest of us

Whilst this is right, and I never have reason to doubt you, I do wonder whether Pridham's move might not have been a shot across the bows.

No doubt the "internal review" will finds some tinkering to be done at the edges but little to no grass roots improvement.

How Pridham and those who support him respond to that will be interesting. It seems the can has been kicked down the road for now. Has it been kicked far enough remains to be seen. It's clear that there is some discontent.

We have evidence the VFL/ECFL side exists!! Games actually happened!!

VFL Update with Jeremy Laidler
https://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/893460

I'm assuming Ling has also been impressing if he was named sub, albeit he wouldn't have played on the weekend because of it.

OK not necessarily the most comprehensive review, but kudos to the media team for at least putting something out and getting some insight into the players' performances and the integration of the new ressies into the club.

Yeah no stats or scores or anything like that. But they basically gave us an update on all the key players who are relevant to the senior side. So good to hear Hayward, Stephens, McLean and Melican are going well.

Back