Swans Reserves (ECFL comp) 2021 (VFL we fart in your general direction)

Remove this Banner Ad

Still no Ling, and he's not on our injury list. I have a feeling he stayed back in Victoria when we were down there? Maybe something personal came up?

Either way, hard to see him on the list next year :(
Ditto. Let down by his body. Hard not to get discouraged.
Feel much the same about Ronke.
Assuming 4 delisted the other two will be very interesting.

Ditto. Let down by his body. Hard not to get discouraged.
Feel much the same about Ronke.
Assuming 4 delisted the other two will be very interesting.

Gray and Taylor are two that come to mind...

I also wouldn't be shocked to see Carruthers delisted. I haven't minded him every time I've seen him at the level, but he also hasn't shown THAT much. For example I thought Brady Rowles looked far more promising, and we delisted him last year. But he's a cheap rookie and the circumstances are different this year, so maybe Malachy gets another go.

Part of me still wishes we had used that rookie pick to re-draft Rowles...

I also wouldn't be shocked to see Carruthers delisted. I haven't minded him every time I've seen him at the level, but he also hasn't shown THAT much. For example I thought Brady Rowles looked far more promising, and we delisted him last year. But he's a cheap rookie and the circumstances are different this year, so maybe Malachy gets another go.

Taylor has 1 year left doesn't he?

It is traditional that we delist Robbie Fox every couple of years, just to keep him on his toes.

Taylor has another year to go in his contract so he won’t be delisted. Brand might be moved on.

Oh yeah forgot about Brand.

Geez what a disappointment that group of recruits turned out to be.

This year we have 1st 2nd and a worthless 4th. Not much action. Unless we trade valuable existing players like Dawson, it might be a boring trade and draft period for the Swans.

Next year is the big year.
Buddy and $1m
Kennedy and a fair bit.
Sinkers $+
Naismith
Taylor about $300k I remember

Dollars to splash

We should be contending hard too.

This year we have 1st 2nd and a worthless 4th. Not much action. Unless we trade valuable existing players like Dawson, it might be a boring trade and draft period for the Swans.

Buddy and $1m
Kennedy and a fair bit.
Sinkers $+
Naismith

Dollars to splash

Off-topic and probably better suited for the draft & trade thread, but I hope it is a boring off-season for us. The nucleus of our next flag side is on the list already I believe, but I'd want more evidence before we go big in the trade period. There will no doubt be holes that need to be filled, but it's better to wait and try to fill those holes once we know for certain that the group we have is good. St Kilda, Hawthorn, Port, North are all recent examples of teams who went hard at the trade table and ended up over-estimating how good their list really was.

Buddy and $1m
Kennedy and a fair bit.
Sinkers $+
Naismith

Dollars to splash

12 mths is a long time for aging footballers but if Buddy keeps his form it's not inconceivable to go again at end of 2022 albeit on lower 1 yr contract

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I had really high hopes for Brand too :( he excited me the most out of him, Gray and Taylor

Yeah we tried recruiting the likes of Gray, Clarke, Taylor, Brand, Thurlow etc hoping that they would be something (at least a mainstay in the 22) but it wasn't to be. Guess they were delisted for a reason and the list managers would rather back the rookies in.

1 Round on the 21-22 August and then top 8 for a 4 week finals series
Does mean we are at a disadvantage with getting competitive games into the fringe players pushing for senior selection, come finals time.
WBD, Geelong, Melb, GWS all in the reserves top 8.

Of the confirmed AFL top 6 only Brisbane and ourselves are outside the top 8.
Essendon and Richmond ressies will also not make the cut.
So potential issue even arranging opponents for scratch matches.

West Coast & Port Adel will also not have reserves playing in their respective state leagues finals.

Oh well it is what it is.
Reserves are primarily about development, but it would have been nice to have racked up a few more wins. Only 2 wins out of 10 games (albeit in a somewhat difficult situation).

We apparently had a scratch match on the weekend vs the Bombers, with Gold Coast providing players to both sides. From an article about retiring Suns players on the AFL site. No details on any Swans players, but would assume the likes of Warner, McDonald, Amartey, Stephens and others would have gotten game time.

Edit: I thought I heard Hayward say McDonald was injured during a Sunday Footy Show clip, so maybe not him.

Last edited:
We apparently had a scratch match on the weekend vs the Bombers, with Gold Coast providing players to both sides. From an article about retiring Suns players on the AFL site. No details on any Swans players, but would assume the likes of Warner, McDonald, Amartey, Stephens and others would have gotten game time.

Think COR was due to get half a game also. Any report from it?

They provided exactly what they were recruited for, experienced mature aged back-ups and fill in’s where and when required.

That is what happens when your list profile gets too young and in-experienced which is what has happened at Carlton, Melbourne and the Gold Coast over the years.

You need these blokes to fill spots while your list gets the time to develop. Otherwise it becomes a perpetual merry go round of young players who never reach their potential and are lost to the AFL.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

So VFL officially changed now to:
Top 8 as stands. 1 v 8 etc etc. 3 weeks of finals. Losers get elim from week 1.

Also. Aspley officially pulling out of the VFL for good.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back