Swans still team to beat: Lloyd

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't mind Lloyd as a commentator, he seems less biased towards his old team than a lot of the football media ... and I read this article the other day ... but my first thought was that he was trying to soften the blow of Essendon's defeat ... and let's face it, the Swans outclassed the Bombers, despite what most on the Essendon board have said. Sydney won every quarter and put the game away impressively in the third.

A lot of Bombers fans believe their team has improvement to come, but I'd like to think the Swans have just as much, if not more (as a team and individually with several of the younger players). There is no doubt, going back even to the 2005 premiership, that the Swans generally start a season slowly and continue to build and improve as it goes on, particularly from about the halfway point. Right now, we're I think slightly ahead of where we were last season (on the ladder) yet we've achieved this with several key injuries and a considerably reshuffled, new-look defence only now just starting to really click.

I hate getting ahead of myself in terms of confidence but, gee, if we can come away from Adelaide with a win and go into the bye at 8 wins, 2 losses and the draw, with Tippett and injured players (fingers crossed) to come back, there's serious cause for optimism. We showed last year we could improve off losses (specifically) to Hawthorn and Geelong late in the season so those results can be overturned.

To answer the thread question, Lloyd might well be spot-on.

I disliked Lloyd's in-game commentary when he was with 10 (more due to his pattern of speech - the same inflection at the end of every sentence really grated on me once I had noticed it) but since he has left 10 and I have listened to him speak outside of games and read his articles, I have been pretty impressed. Seems to watch a wider array of games than your typical former player in the media and expresses himself well.

He's been pumping us up for quite a while now. Sheahan said he thought the Swans were the best side in the comp last night on OTC too. He changes his mind more than any other commentator with things like this and is very reactive in that sense but we're getting a decent run of it from the Victorian lot lately.

I'd prefer we slipped under the radar and whoever loses the flag to us can cry 'fluke' again.

If we win a premiership again (big if im not getting ahead of myself) id like to win by a decent margin, sure we will still cop the COLA crap but dont need to hear about seaby being held or if the hawks had of kicked straight, just smash someone please

I don't think i've ever believed until now that we are genuinely one of the best sides in the competition. Even in our 05/06 years the success came about through endevour, hard work and perhaps a bit of luck in grinding out wins. Whilst the former 2 still apply now, we have a lot more talent running through our list than we've ever had which will make us extremely difficult to beat.

I don't mind Lloyd as a commentator, he seems less biased towards his old team than a lot of the football media ... and I read this article the other day ... but my first thought was that he was trying to soften the blow of Essendon's defeat ... and let's face it, the Swans outclassed the Bombers, despite what most on the Essendon board have said. Sydney won every quarter and put the game away impressively in the third.

A lot of Bombers fans believe their team has improvement to come, but I'd like to think the Swans have just as much, if not more (as a team and individually with several of the younger players).

What have they been saying there?

If we win a premiership again (big if im not getting ahead of myself) id like to win by a decent margin, sure we will still cop the COLA crap but dont need to hear about seaby being held or if the hawks had of kicked straight, just smash someone please

I'd rather win by a point. It makes it all the sweeter when flogs whinge about how we stole they're flag. LOL

I'd rather win by a point. It makes it all the sweeter when flogs whinge about how we stole they're flag. LOL

I could not stand another off-season putting up with that crap. A decisive win would be much preferred.

Not to mention you don't want a repeat of 2006.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I could not stand another off-season putting up with that crap. A decisive win would be much preferred.

Not to mention you don't want a repeat of 2006.

No. I definitely want a win of one point. Not loss.

Putting up with that crap? Dude, you need to get straight to the bay if we do it again. Their tears are as sweet as honey;)

No. I definitely want a win of one point. Not loss.

Putting up with that crap? Dude, you need to get straight to the bay if we do it again. Their tears are as sweet as honey;)

I get what you meant. But a win of 1 point can oh so easily turn into a loss of one point.

It would be more fun trolling after a crunching victory, than another one that we "stole"

I get what you meant. But a win of 1 point can oh so easily turn into a loss of one point.

It would be more fun trolling after a crunching victory, than another one that we "stole"

Hawthorn fans have no problem with their 08 win against Geelong and our win against Hawthorn in 12 was very similar to how Hawthorn beat Geelong so if Hawthorn fans like their 08 win we should like our 12 win as well.

I disagree. And that's ok, we can agree to disagree, no worries. After ''stealing the whoreks flag by right'' last year, the trolling was priceless. To me, it's so much more fun when they can say ''you should never have won. Malceski's goals were flukes. we would have won if we didn't hit the post with minutes to go'', etc. You know they are burning when giving you weak whining excuses like that. So I just rub it in more.

Hawthorn fans have no problem with their 08 win against Geelong and our win against Hawthorn in 12 was very similar to how Hawthorn beat Geelong so if Hawthorn fans like their 08 win we should like our 12 win as well.

"Stole" is not my word for it. Its the Hawkers and other troll-y fans that are trying to take away a legitimately awesome win.

Just saying that if we went back to back with a crunching victory, rather than a close one, it would give one less excuse to people who with try to take it away with lame excuses.

Flying under the radar is no more I think ,today on the radio tim Watson on SEN Swans will go close to going back to back how good are they playing with the injuries they have and Tippett to come in Blah Blah , Wayne Carey on Tripple M today pretty much said its ours now , I don't really like all this talk then it becomes ours to lose, plus did they not watch the games we played against Hawks, Geelong, Freo , I no we always start the year slow but until we knock of 1 of them 3 its the Hawks that should be favourites

After we win the flag this year I want to see the tears flow freely when we announce Franklin as our new signing for pick 35 and Jesse White.

yuck who wants that overrated hack here

After we win the flag this year I want to see the tears flow freely when we announce Franklin as our new signing for pick 35 and Jesse White.

The way Buddy has been playing this year, he would need outplay White in the ressies to have a chance. So he'll be a fringe player too, hoping Tippett, Goodes, Pyke, Morton or Reid go down to get a run in our AFL side;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back