News Swans Talk in the Media: 2016 Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ireland talking about Buddy's move to Sydney:

"The important things for us, we knew he was starting to come to Sydney regularly to see his girl. I spoke to Liam and he said: 'I think he is pretty serious and I think he will will want to [leave]'," Ireland said.

"When someone like him [Franklin] says: 'I want to come to your club', I think you would be hard pressed not to say [let's look into it]

"I must admit, when he came up and he met with John and I, we have done this a couple of times – we didn't try and sell the club. We said: 'It's a big call to leave a club like Hawthorn. We will try and do it, if you want to do it, but we'll leave you alone and it's up to you if you really want to ... it will be a big issue if you do', and he was keen to do it."

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...ership-for-justification-20160923-grnjg1.html

I might be asking a really obvious question here but I haven't actually found out why... but why did we offer Buddy a nine-year, $10 million deal if he wanted to join the club anyway? I'm not against the deal was just curious why we went so extravagant when it sounds like it didn't necessarily need to be (weren't Hawthorn and GWS offering waaaay less than $10 mil?)

I might be asking a really obvious question here but I haven't actually found out why... but why did we offer Buddy a nine-year, $10 million deal if he wanted to join the club anyway? I'm not against the deal was just curious why we went so extravagant when it sounds like it didn't necessarily need to be (weren't Hawthorn and GWS offering waaaay less than $10 mil?)

Hawks had the option to match the deal. They weren't going to for a 9 year contract.

The Bulldogs have their narrative, this is ours:

Swans’ chief executive Andrew Ireland looked like a contented uncle at a family wedding in the humming sheds after Friday nights’ victory. He acknowledges the gloom that engulfed the same rooms two years ago has played a part in the club’s rapid return to the grand final.

Ireland played in three losing grand finals with Collingwood. So when he says "all players are products of their experiences’’ he speaks with some authority.

"It was a terribly poor effort on a big day,’’ he says of the 2014 grand final. "But we didn’t want that to define who we are. I think the view was keep working hard and you’ll give yourself the chance to get back there.’’

Did Ireland – or anyone at the club – wonder if they could crawl from the canvas after such a humiliating defeat? "No, no,’’ he says. "There has never been a time at the club where I thought we wouldn’t be a chance. I think people just steeled themselves, particularly the ones who played that day. It’s not a nice way to experience a grand final.’’

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...s/news-story/fead03122049b8f78b2d8dbd6687904d

They had $10 million though? I thought they offered like five mil or something

I believe the Hawks offered 5 years at $1.4 mil a year (from what was reported at the time) which works out to $7million over 5 years. Buddy with us won't hit that until Year 7. The Giants offered less per year (think $1.2mil) but over 6 years and that was before the AFL money was included.

So while we offered a longer contract at more money, the per year if what was reported is true would of made his next contracts (Years 6,7 and beyond at the Hawks and 7 and beyond at the Giants) where we have made up the difference with our offer.

I believe the Hawks offered 5 years at $1.4 mil a year (from what was reported at the time) which works out to $7million over 5 years. Buddy with us won't hit that until Year 7. The Giants offered less per year (think $1.2mil) but over 6 years and that was before the AFL money was included.

So while we offered a longer contract at more money, the per year if what was reported is true would of made his next contracts (Years 6,7 and beyond at the Hawks and 7 and beyond at the Giants) where we have made up the difference with our offer.

Oh I get it. So we basically ensured he'd join the Swans and would finish his career as a Swan in one swoop.

To guarantee we would get Buddy junior via the Father/son rule?

Oh ffs. The hyperbole on SEN is pathetic. "even though they finished 7th it wasn't actually 7th because blah blah everyone was on the same points blah blah maybe they were actually better than Sydney"
Shoot me now

Well they did beat us earlier in the year ;) i get that this year top 8 was fairly close but we finished with a percentage of 151 while the dogs finished with 115
of course that doesnt guarantee anything but it does tell a tale.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well they did beat us earlier in the year ;) i get that this year top 8 was fairly close but we finished with a percentage of 151 while the dogs finished with 115
of course that doesnt guarantee anything but it does tell a tale.
I get it, I do. Just don't have to like it.

Just had a quick scroll of AFL's FB statuses since finding out that WB was the second qualifier.

Every post bar one (about AA's injury is about them). It's pretty funny for a professional organisation to be this biased.

Just had a quick scroll of AFL's FB statuses since finding out that WB was the second qualifier.

Every post bar one (about AA's injury is about them). It's pretty funny for a professional organisation to be this biased.
Fun week ahead

There is an article about the Dogs questioning whether the umps missed a 50 late in the game which could have led to a Giants goal. It's bias but not completely all feel good stories.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back