News Swans Talk in the Media: 2016 Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So if Dunkley has a younger brother who is a better prospect do we just miss out. That is he nominates us as a fall back position but is hoping a Vic club will pick him or do we match the offer?

I would match the offer otherwise let the player go into an open market.

I say wait for his brother to follow suit & nominate us in order to get where he wants.
EXCEPT this time we take him.
So he wants to be near his family too?
Reunite them by bringing Bulldog Dunks to the Swans.

We need to be ruthless arseholes more often at the draft.l
We get accused of it so make it real Swans.

Nobody denied that Dunkley wanted to play in VIC, some of us just don't care.

Pick the best player and back your club culture to convince them to stay.

I agree, but I think the club's been burnt that way in the past and didn't like their chances of bucking the trend with Dunkley. Who knows maybe it will help us retain Mitchell.

We need to be ruthless arseholes more often at the draft.

We were, with Buddy and Tippett. We seem to be strategic in our trading in that we appear to be willing to roll over at times if we think that it won't hurt us too much, in order to help us get who we really want. I make no comment about the merits or otherwise of this approach, but there does seem to be a logic behind it. Needless to say it would suck if it cost us a flag but then again Kennedy did help us win a flag against Hawthorn.

I agree, but I think the club's been burnt that way in the past and didn't like their chances of bucking the trend with Dunkley. Who knows maybe it will help us retain Mitchell.

We were, with Buddy and Tippett. We seem to be strategic in our trading in that we appear to be willing to roll over at times if we think that it won't hurt us too much, in order to help us get who we really want. I make no comment about the merits or otherwise of this approach, but there does seem to be a logic behind it. Needless to say it would suck if it cost us a flag but then again Kennedy did help us win a flag against Hawthorn.

Problem is we get so much backlash for picking up such players but the Hawks are "so amazing" for picking up Lake, Frawley & now JOM & Mitchell.

I say wait for his brother to follow suit & nominate us in order to get where he wants.
EXCEPT this time we take him.
So he wants to be near his family too?
Reunite them by bringing Bulldog Dunks to the Swans.

We need to be ruthless arseholes more often at the draft.l

Swans have done this over many years. Gave up James Hird to Essendon at the draft for the same reason. Being drafted from Canberra, the Swans had first dibs. Swans are proud of their football culture and their decent values. Sometimes it looks like a very stupid decision in hindsight. But we never got value out of the little saveloy or shannon grant. And we honoured a proud swan's wish in Andrew Dunkley. He wanted his boy to play at home. Who knows how this will play out? Sounds like a pretty good reason to keep Titch.

If anyone is looking for some fair, balanced and intelligent analysis of both the Swans and Dogs, I'd recommend you check out Rohan Connolly's Facebook chats for The Age.

Chris Judd is about to be on Fox Footy's newest edition of the 'Round Table' and talks about an incident with Goodes in one of the GF's in which the great man asks if he's okay after Judd has come back on the field with a shoulder injury...speaks volumes about the sort of guy he is. Still makes me so angry the way he was treated at the back end of his career by all the mouth breathers.

Cameron Rose has shown his face on Roar again this morning. TBH - I haven't read the article and don't intend to. I did leave a comment tho :cool:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Robert Walls just said he thought McVeigh should not have played, he watched him and refused to go flat out.
It was followed by Peter Gordon who could not have given us more praise.
Making up for the Sunday speech

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-10-03/i-hope-he-stays-luke-parker-on-gun-teammate-tom-mitchell

great article on mitchell, bit long and in depth so ill summarise.

Basically the writer has looked at the Mitchell potential trade and sought out a way to gain some insights.
In this case he has decided a team mate is a great way to get some perspective on the issue.
So he has reached out to Luke Parker, who managed to turn up for this unlike other events he was invited too.
They had a chat, bit of too and fro and covered Parkers feelings on Mitchell.
It seems Parker obviously rates Tom, and would be of the view that it would be good if Tom Stayed in the side.
The writer decided to pose the question directly to Luke over Toms future.
Luke was good enough to offer some in depth insight and analysis confirming in this instance it is his preference that Tom stay.
Admittedly Luke plays his cards close to his chest in this interview but he tends to indicates it is his strong held belief he would like Tom there.
Luke goes on to suggest he thinks , well hopes the club and Tom can sort it out in the next few weeks.
That is not a precise timeline more Lukes suggestion of how it could go down.

Anyway set aside 30-40 minutes and read for yourself

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-10-03/i-hope-he-stays-luke-parker-on-gun-teammate-tom-mitchell

great article on mitchell, bit long and in depth so ill summarise.

Basically the writer has looked at the Mitchell potential trade and sought out a way to gain some insights.
In this case he has decided a team mate is a great way to get some perspective on the issue.
So he has reached out to Luke Parker, who managed to turn up for this unlike other events he was invited too.
They had a chat, bit of too and fro and covered Parkers feelings on Mitchell.
It seems Parker obviously rates Tom, and would be of the view that it would be good if Tom Stayed in the side.
The writer decided to pose the question directly to Luke over Toms future.
Luke was good enough to offer some in depth insight and analysis confirming in this instance it is his preference that Tom stay.
Admittedly Luke plays his cards close to his chest in this interview but he tends to indicates it is his strong held belief he would like Tom there.
Luke goes on to suggest he thinks , well hopes the club and Tom can sort it out in the next few weeks.
That is not a precise timeline more Lukes suggestion of how it could go down.

Anyway set aside 30-40 minutes and read for yourself
Yeah I found it pretty funny. Literally said OK at the screen in rhetoric.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back