News Swans Talk In The Media 2017 (footy talk only, please)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://20313.mc.tritondigital.com/W...1920/podcast_media/daa788-terry-on-sydney.mp3

Terry Wallacy on SEN analysed our list today and basically said that the list is there, but the coaches lack imagination and that lack of imagination and unwillingness to try new things hurts us.

That is a fair opinion from Wallace based on the stats he has put forward regarding our losses at the MCG in finals, but as I like to do, I like to break it down further as an away interstate game where the home team will ALWAYS have a greater advantage & a final should be no exception. That it happen to be the MCG is only because that is where the finals are played in Melbourne by the home team.

So lets look further at how bad an away team we are & have been since 2014, part of that period Wallace is talking about.

TOTAL INTERSTATE GAMES RECORD (R1, 2014 to R11, 2017)

TEAM PLAYED WON LOST DRAWN WINNING %
ADELAIDE 35 19 16
54%
BRISBANE 35 6 29
17%
CARLTON 18 2 16
11%
COLLINGWOOD 18 8 10
44%
ESSENDON 19 4 15
21%
FREMANTLE 34 15 19
44%
GEELONG 18 10 8
55%
GOLD COAST 34 5 29
14%
GWS 34 16 18
47%
HAWTHORN 18 9 9
50%
MELBOURNE 15 4 9
26%
NORTH MELBOURNE 17 8 9
47%
PORT ADELAIDE 35 19 16
54%
RICHMOND 19 11 8
57%
ST KILDA 20 4 16
20%
SYDNEY 35 26 9
74%
WEST COAST 36 18 17 1 50%
WESTERN BULLDOGS 12 4 8
33%
https://www.zerohanger.com/clubs-worst-best-records-road-12942/

Been said before.
Statistics can be used to suit any argument one wishes to put up so in the small sample size of data Terry Wallace has chosen to use, he is 100% correct in what he says.
As for a lack of imagination by the coaches, I agree with him.
A total of 17 other senior coaches had a lack of imagination because they too failed to win the premiership.

So hopefully we can improve our away finals record which will keep us well ahead of all other teams for a further few years.

It was fair Bedders, based on the data he chose to use.
I might add that our figures of 74% win rate away were up to Rd 11 2017 which included the 3 away losses in those first 6 horror rounds which were uncharacteristic & haven't taken into account the big finish we had to the season so we could well be sitting at an 80% win rate away from home since Rd 1 2014. That's extraordinary considering our nearest rival is Richmond at 57% & Geelong 55% & Hawthorn 50% are up there with the great teams, all while we have rebuilt with the addition of youngsters.

We are doing plenty right over a long period of time so we just need to tweak a few things & yes, show some more imagination in the coaches box so that we can have some element of surprise during games for our opposition.

I think that was the point of his piece. We're really good but to consistently knock off the other really good teams in finals we need to show more versatility in how we play and think and react.

And that's why I'm very hopeful that Cox and Johnson will offer that as a perception of our club around the league; that the while the club is as highly respected as any other, if you do x, y and z correctly you can knock them off because you know they're gonna stick to their guns and not alter what they do - other than a few positional changes.

It was fair Bedders, based on the data he chose to use.
I might add that our figures of 74% win rate away were up to Rd 11 2017 which included the 3 away losses in those first 6 horror rounds which were uncharacteristic & haven't taken into account the big finish we had to the season so we could well be sitting at an 80% win rate away from home since Rd 1 2014. That's extraordinary considering our nearest rival is Richmond at 57% & Geelong 55% & Hawthorn 50% are up there with the great teams, all while we have rebuilt with the addition of youngsters.

We are doing plenty right over a long period of time so we just need to tweak a few things & yes, show some more imagination in the coaches box so that we can have some element of surprise during games for our opposition.

Reading stats on how good we have been is even more depressing we should have at least one more flag its a shame we have played not at our best when its mattered.

Since 2012 not many realise but we have been a really dominant team just not much to show for it.

Reading stats on how good we have been is even more depressing we should have at least one more flag its a shame we have played not at our best when its mattered.

Since 2012 not many realise but we have been a really dominant team just not much to show for it.

Only difference between us and Hawthorn is they showed up when it mattered and got three flags out of it.

Only difference between us and Hawthorn is they showed up when it mattered and got three flags out of it.

In 2015 in the first away final against WC, the Hawks were reamed. A very ordinary team in fact. Then they were rewarded for their shitness & gained their greatest asset. The MCG & huge home ground advantage while WC in turn were rewarded with the opposite on GF day.
Yep I know, the GF is played at the MCG but it's much easier to show up when it matters on your home ground in your home state than the other way around as the Hawks proved in their first final.
Thi is the reason why I believe (my opinion only) that Brisbane' s three peat team are the greatest ever because they had the odds stacked against them. The Hawks were kissed on the balls by playing 3 interstate teams on GF day 3 years in a row, teams that only have visited the MCG once or twice s year over those 3 years.
Sour grapes? Yep. Those too.
But give me Brisbane's three peat over the Hawk's any day.
So The difference between us & Hawks is that the GF is played at the MCG, & not at the home of the best team that season that qualifies on top of every other team. Them's the breaks I guess so I'll just go & eat some more sour grapes.

In 2015 in the first away final against WC, the Hawks were reamed. A very ordinary team in fact. Then they were rewarded for their shitness & gained their greatest asset. The MCG & huge home ground advantage while WC in turn were rewarded with the opposite on GF day.
Yep I know, the GF is played at the MCG but it's much easier to show up when it matters on your home ground in your home state than the other way around as the Hawks proved in their first final.
Thi is the reason why I believe (my opinion only) that Brisbane' s three peat team are the greatest ever because they had the odds stacked against them. The Hawks were kissed on the balls by playing 3 interstate teams on GF day 3 years in a row, teams that only have visited the MCG once or twice s year over those 3 years.
So The difference between us & Hawks is that the GF is played at the MCG, & not at the home of the best team that season that qualifies on top of every other team. Them's the breaks I guess so I'll just go & eat some more sour grapes.
Best and most accurate post EVER!!!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Couldn't agree more. If that Brisbane team were a Victorian side they would be lauded as the greatest ever. They had three mids who were better than ANY of Hawthorn's mids during their three peat (I'm talking Voss, Black and Lappin) and that's not even including the Scott brothers, Leppitsch, Chris Johnson, Jonathon Brown, Lynch, Luke Powers, Akermanis etc etc. Plus I know we all like to think our club invented playing hard contested footy but that Lions side played Bloods footy except with elite skill and speed to boot. Loved watching them play even though I didn't like a lot of their players

Couldn't agree more. If that Brisbane team were a Victorian side they would be lauded as the greatest ever. They had three mids who were better than ANY of Hawthorn's mids during their three peat (I'm talking Voss, Black and Lappin) and that's not even including the Scott brothers, Leppitsch, Chris Johnson, Jonathon Brown, Lynch, Luke Powers, Akermanis etc etc. Plus I know we all like to think our club invented playing hard contested footy but that Lions side played Bloods footy except with elite skill and speed to boot. Loved watching them play even though I didn't like a lot of their players
Is this the media thread

Here’s something that will no doubt crop up over the next year. Summary of club list ages, experience etc.
Swans are 8th oldest list
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-11-30/adelaides-2018-list-is-one-for-the-ages

My big take out from that was that we don't use enough of our squad. We seem to have more players yet to debut than most clubs - which really surprised me considering our last few years and also our smaller list size. Towards the end of the year that really starts to add up though in wear and tear on key players.

I'll admit there are some contributing factors in that stat but I reckon we need to consider a bit more rotation though the season, that's the bottom 20% everyone keeps mentioning

The Swans media team sort of suck. Other than 2 minute interviews from our 3 draftees on the night of the draft, and a 90 second video of them all turning up at Swans HQ on Monday we have essentially heard nothing about our new recruits. Compare that to Brisbane who have done extensive interviews with all their new draftees, and also had videos on their first few days of training.

The Swans media team sort of suck. Other than 2 minute interviews from our 3 draftees on the night of the draft, and a 90 second video of them all turning up at Swans HQ on Monday we have essentially heard nothing about our new recruits. Compare that to Brisbane who have done extensive interviews with all their new draftees, and also had videos on their first few days of training.

Budget allocation.

New recruits went on a boat around the harbour today. Swans media all over it.

New recruits went on a boat around the harbour today. Swans media all over it.

traditional spiv central tossbaggery for the media..... I suppose it has to be done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back