News Swans Talk In The Media 2017 (footy talk only, please)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Horse could have tried picking a decent team to play Cats. Then he might have tried coaching haha. No falls to help Grundy, duh! Total fail. That will go down as some of the worst selection mistakes ever made. Well ever since Judas played goal keeper for Jerusalem " Give me 20 pieces of silver I'll let it passover or under"

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yes but we have the best backline.
There is talk on the WC board that Nic Nat could play a Derby practice game but the media seem to all be on holidays unless you're a Melbourne club supporter. Let's not forget that WC at home are a different team to WC on the road. They were without NN and Lycett last year which killed them in the centre clearance stats BUT when they did go forward their forward line was one of the most ruthlessly efficient. They got precious little supply and made much of it. If they get decent supply they still have a forward line which could hurt us, regardless of how good our defence is.

I wouldn't normally worry about this game too much, trusting in our mighty Swans, but we've got a hard draw first up and we'll need to get as many wins out of the first 6 or so rounds as we can. Last year we were 0-6 and had a much softer start.

I agree.
Collingwood, Carlton, Bulldogs & North.
A long term goal of the AFL should be to distance themselves further from the old VFL. Melbourne clubs needs to be thinned out or dispersed. I'd bundle up North with the Hawks and give them to Tasmania as one team. The Tassie Bogans should be based in Hobart but could play the odd game in Launceston. They could also look at teams based in large regional centres such as Ballarat, Newcastle or Wollongong. And surely Darwin and Canberra should get a look in.

From media reporting the AFL appears on the surface to be a very reactionary organisation. What we never see (or it isn't reported in the media) is any sort of medium to long term plan. It's always about reacting to spot fires, trying this or that new rule, tweaking the MRP, promising increased TPP but not giving any real idea of the amount or the period, etc. If clubs are expected to plan for the future they should at least know where the AFL is heading. So many Melbourne clubs are virtual basket cases yet they have a heartland of inter-generational fans to draw upon.

I can't help but wonder how the AFL would shape up as a publicly listed company answerable to shareholders.

A long term goal of the AFL should be to distance themselves further from the old VFL. Melbourne clubs needs to be thinned out or dispersed. I'd bundle up North with the Hawks and give them to Tasmania as one team. The Tassie Bogans should be based in Hobart but could play the odd game in Launceston. They could also look at teams based in large regional centres such as Ballarat, Newcastle or Wollongong. And surely Darwin and Canberra should get a look in.

From media reporting the AFL appears on the surface to be a very reactionary organisation. What we never see (or it isn't reported in the media) is any sort of medium to long term plan. It's always about reacting to spot fires, trying this or that new rule, tweaking the MRP, promising increased TPP but not giving any real idea of the amount or the period, etc. If clubs are expected to plan for the future they should at least know where the AFL is heading. So many Melbourne clubs are virtual basket cases yet they have a heartland of inter-generational fans to draw upon.

I can't help but wonder how the AFL would shape up as a publicly listed company answerable to shareholders.
The easiest blends so to speak are; North/Footscray Western Bulldogs, Hawks to Tassie, Melbourne & St Kilda merge. That gets rid of one team from the mainland and two teams altogether. It would make North Bulldogs or West Kangaroos very strong. The Melbourne Saints ditto. Other blends would need thought. Essendon & Richmond are too strong a clubs as is Carlton to merge.

The easiest blends so to speak are; North/Footscray Western Bulldogs, Hawks to Tassie, Melbourne & St Kilda merge. That gets rid of one team from the mainland and two teams altogether. It would make North Bulldogs or West Kangaroos very strong. The Melbourne Saints ditto. Other blends would need thought. Essendon & Richmond are too strong a clubs as is Carlton to merge.

I defer to you as to who should merge with whom. I guess financial considerations would be central to any decision. Many Tasmanians I know are already annoyed with how much their state government tips into the Hawks' coffers. I'd like to see Tassie get a strong team from the outset to get some runs on the board. Aussie Rules in Tasmania is in a pretty poor state at present. When I was a kid the old TFL was a pretty lively competition with some pretty good ex-AFL footballers still plying their trade (ie, Peter Hudson). My nephew plays seniors for one of the old clubs with a long heritage which is slowly slipping south.

It'd be good to see, especially as it'd piss off lots of Hawks supporters too. They'd have to be set up for success though. The Brisbane Lions' success did a lot more for footy in Brisbane than the struggling Bears ever did.

I am so excited for AFL-X!!! not
This time of year I'd be excited for news that Grundy had belly button fluff removed (and is back in full training). Seriously, the news coming out of the Swans is pathetic. Where are those idiots who normally report for sydneyswans.com.au ? Can't they just write something ? Anything ? Just because it's off-season doesn't mean fans don't get hungry. So why won't they feed us something ? Thank crikey for bigfooty and those fans who can write a few paragraphs to get a discussion going.

Yeah, so OK. Regardless of how it works out I'm excited for AFL-X (and Y & Z). A bit of AFL-X, some JLT, a practice hit-out, pics of training the house down or even an intra-club match and I might just make it through to round 1.

Can you try to pump me up about it?

I'm really not all that keen to be honest.

It's actually not the worst idea the AFL has come up with and it seems like an interesting concept, but in reality it's just a diversion until the real stuff starts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This time of year I'd be excited for news that Grundy had belly button fluff removed (and is back in full training). Seriously, the news coming out of the Swans is pathetic. Where are those idiots who normally report for sydneyswans.com.au ? Can't they just write something ? Anything ? Just because it's off-season doesn't mean fans don't get hungry. So why won't they feed us something ? Thank crikey for bigfooty and those fans who can write a few paragraphs to get a discussion going.

Yeah, so OK. Regardless of how it works out I'm excited for AFL-X (and Y & Z). A bit of AFL-X, some JLT, a practice hit-out, pics of training the house down or even an intra-club match and I might just make it through to round 1.
inb4 everyone has a season ending injury a day before round 1 starts. Yours truly, the Swans media.

The Swans website has an interview, a real interview on their website

http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/video/2018-02-12/rampe-and-lloyd-launch-aflx
Bravo. Seriously though, how hard was that ? With the preseason imminent the AFL and Swans media should be really starting to churn out the stories. They spend a fortune trying to break into new markets then completely starve those markets of news and hide away. I get that players come to Sydney for the anonymity but the club seems to relish anonymity too. I don't need to know what's going on in the personal lives of players but I do want to know as much as possible about what's going on with the football side of things and the club itself. This is preseason. Everything's news. Stuff should be flying off the press. Honestly, Bedford's a better source than all of the journos put together.

Bravo. Seriously though, how hard was that ? With the preseason imminent the AFL and Swans media should be really starting to churn out the stories. They spend a fortune trying to break into new markets then completely starve those markets of news and hide away. I get that players come to Sydney for the anonymity but the club seems to relish anonymity too. I don't need to know what's going on in the personal lives of players but I do want to know as much as possible about what's going on with the football side of things and the club itself. This is preseason. Everything's news. Stuff should be flying off the press. Honestly, Bedford's a better source than all of the journos put together.
I'm not defending the Swans but they did advertise for a Media Coordinator recently. Maybe their previous person in charge quit? Not having a few stories during the off season is far from the worst thing

https://www.seek.com.au/job/3531252...ryid=879d1db4f34a654d1e1a18fb025b9e0b-9946109

Swans can always record a bunch of stories during the regular season and then slowly post them over the off-season to keep interest up.

They could do 40+ profiles in a fortnight (including staff etc) and have a few months worth of content.

Oh well.

1_GFHaSy12LC%203218-ro.jpg

SYDNEY inducted a trio of players into its hall of fame on Monday night, with modern-day premiership stars Ryan O'Keefe and Lewis Roberts-Thomson receiving the honour along with VFA flag hero Denis McKay.

O'Keefe and Roberts-Thomson are in a group of five Swans to have won two AFL/VFL flags with the club. Adam Goodes, Jude Bolton and Vic Belcher are the others.

Both were important parts of the 2005 and 2012 Grand Final victories.

O'Keefe was awarded the Norm Smith Medal in 2012 as Sydney edged out Hawthorn in one of the great modern deciders while Roberts-Thomson was similarly influential in the drought-breaking 2005 win against West Coast, which saw the Swans win their first premiership in 72 years.

A left-footer, O'Keefe was drafted at No.56 in 1999 and went on to play 286 games. His hardness and consistency saw him named in the 2006 All Australian side and he won the 2009 best and fairest.

Roberts-Thomson was a rugby convert, having grown up in Sydney and not picking up a football until he was 14.

Selected at No.29 in the 2001 'Superdraft', he would line up in 179 matches for the club.

Another 2012 premiership star, Nick Malceski, was also recognised at the induction dinner with his stunning Grand Finals goals officially 'heritage listed' by the club.

McKay, who was known as 'Dinny', won three Victorian Football Association flags. He joined South Melbourne in 1886 and played 171 games. He won the club's goalkicking award on four occasions.

source: http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-02-19/2012-flag-heroes-enter-swans-hall-of-fame

Follow up from the Swans site.

Malceski Goal Heritage Listing
LRT HOF Induction
ROK HOF Induction

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back