News Swans Talk In The Media 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We aren't rated very highly at all by the folks at AFL.com. I'm kind of in two minds about that. On the one hand, it's a huge ask to continuously be one of, if not the best team in the comp year after year (2012, 2016, arguably 2014 and 2017) so I am also of the logic that other teams have to overtake us at some point. But on the other hand I'm ******* insulted that those pooncy GWS boys who the commentators do nothing but bitch about are all of a sudden considered the favourites when we are the only team over the last six years to get ourselves to the top end every single year. My Swans pride-driven ego says how dare they dismiss us like that!

We aren't rated very highly at all by the folks at AFL.com. I'm kind of in two minds about that. On the one hand, it's a huge ask to continuously be one of, if not the best team in the comp year after year (2012, 2016, arguably 2014 and 2017) so I am also of the logic that other teams have to overtake us at some point. But on the other hand I'm ******* insulted that those pooncy GWS boys who the commentators do nothing but bitch about are all of a sudden considered the favourites when we are the only team over the last six years to get ourselves to the top end every single year. My Swans pride-driven ego says how dare they dismiss us like that!

We might have been the best in 2014/16/17 but we have nothing to show for it.
The worst thing is that is was our own fault that we ended up with nothing to show for otherwise successful seasons.
But hindsight is wonderful.
We are incredibly spoilt as Swans fans that our team plays finals every year and have, more often than not, been genuine flag contenders during that time.

SilentHunter_

Cancelled
10k Posts
Sep 15, 2014
Terra firma
AFL Club
Sydney
Eh after us being backed in over the last few years and us failing it couldn't hurt for the media to actually dismiss us. Maybe it'll help.

We might have been the best in 2014/16/17 but we have nothing to show for it.
The worst thing is that is was our own fault that we ended up with nothing to show for otherwise successful seasons.
But hindsight is wonderful.
We are incredibly spoilt as Swans fans that our team plays finals every year and have, more often than not, been genuine flag contenders during that time.

We have been lucky. I know a few Swans fans that would genuinely have preferred us to play like a basket case club like Freo or Brisbane, than be so dominant and have nothing to show for it. I guess it's that mentality of what's worth more to you as a supporter, an abundance of victory or just that one major victory in a GF. For me it's the former. As much as I feel like we've wasted a solid five years of being an outstanding team, having that outstanding team has made footy so much more enjoyable than it already is. It's better than when I first became a Swans fan as a kid, crying and spitting the dummy cause we were being thumped every week LOL

Eh after us being backed in over the last few years and us failing it couldn't hurt for the media to actually dismiss us. Maybe it'll help.

You just described our exact situation in 2016 and it still didn't end any differently haha

Jul 20, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
We have been lucky. I know a few Swans fans that would genuinely have preferred us to play like a basket case club like Freo or Brisbane, than be so dominant and have nothing to show for it. I guess it's that mentality of what's worth more to you as a supporter, an abundance of victory or just that one major victory in a GF. For me it's the former. As much as I feel like we've wasted a solid five years of being an outstanding team, having that outstanding team has made footy so much more enjoyable than it already is. It's better than when I first became a Swans fan as a kid, crying and spitting the dummy cause we were being thumped every week LOL

Yep. I was lucky enough to be at the SCG in 1993 when we recorded our only win against Melbourne (I was 9). Amazing feeling to break the drought.

Would I like more trophies for the last few years? Sure. But the boys have put us in contention year after year. From my point of view I’d rather have the winning feeling more regularly and snag the odd premiership rather than be down regularly and snag the odd premiership.

Need a fair bit of luck to get a flag. We had that in 2012. 2014 is diabolical and I’d like to forget it. 2016 I think if Hannebery isn’t taken out illegally, we would have won (let alone Buddy early in the game, the umps and questionable fitness of a couple of games players).

Tuco

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts SuperCoach Club Board Winner
Sep 28, 2005
Between ANZ & the SCG
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Bloods
Shame they didn't tip us for the spoon. Usually ends up in silverware when they do.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Even if we start 2 & 4 after 6 rounds, we would be in a better position than last year.
I'm not expecting anything great. Top four would be a great effort yet again.

Agree think we are into another transition from 2016, i do think the club aims to make finals every year but hey who knows we beat every top 4 side AWAY from home last season so we cant be to bad ;)

Its a weak season no real standout teams no reason to dismiss our chances.

cinderella man

Premiership Player
Feb 8, 2008
port melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney

Would not take much notice of AFL.Com. Those Blokes or more to the point, Boys are more versed in Chemistry Sets or their penchant to be captain of the debating team at whatever Uni they are attending. They are part time wanna be journos who know as much about the game as my Brainless Beagle.

momentbymoment

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 9, 2014
Noosa
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Liverpool
Would not take much notice of AFL.Com. Those Blokes or more to the point, Boys are more versed in Chemistry Sets or their penchant to be captain of the debating team at whatever Uni they are attending. They are part time wanna be journos who know as much about the game as my Brainless Beagle.
Where does your Beagle see us finishing this year?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

bungee

Inside Mid
Aug 16, 2006
Sussex
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
Top 4 is a pass for me

Not sure we can go with the best when the heat of finals is on
We've played some of our best football in finals and some of our worst. A bit like Forrest Gump's box of chocolates

RW

Cancelled
10k Posts Sydney Forum Service Medal Sydney Swans - Jake Lloyd 2020 Player Sponsor BeanCoiNFT Investor Sydney Swans - Harry Cunningham 2019 Player Sponsor Ex-Moderator Sydney Swans - Gary Rohan Player Sponsor 2018 Sydney Swans - George Hewett Player Sponsor 2017 Sydney Swans - Callum Mills Player Sponsor 2016 Podcaster
Jan 11, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney
We've played some of our best football in finals and some of our worst. A bit like Forrest Gump's box of chocolates

Agree with this, just before half-time in the 2016 grand final I thought we were headed for another flag when we put on 6 goals pretty quickly in the second quarter and in recent finals we have put away Adelaide, Geelong and Essendon with ease. The jury is still out as to whether we can do that when the heat is really on, though.

bungee

Inside Mid
Aug 16, 2006
Sussex
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
Agree with this, just before half-time in the 2016 grand final I thought we were headed for another flag when we put on 6 goals pretty quickly in the second quarter and in recent finals we have put away Adelaide, Geelong and Essendon with ease. The jury is still out as to whether we can do that when the heat is really on, though.
Is the heat ever off in a final ? I couldn't say honestly that the finals we've lost have been on average any more intense than the ones we've won. I don't think we have a problem winning the big games as such, in fact under Horse we get up more times in finals than we don't. Unfortunately the nature of finals is such that even with the double chance teams still have to win a minimum of three finals in a row to claim the prize.

You're right that there was something went wrong in 2016. We had all the momentum through the finals too. Perhaps it was just the sheer weight of poor umpiring decisions. In 2014 we were shell-shocked from the beat up tactics as the umps turned a blind eye to some stuff that would normally have seen guys suspended. Last year we seemed to simply run out of puff. Cats pulled a great tactical move and our players didn't have the strength left to wrest back the ascendency. The pattern does suggest we lack the sheer mental strength and leadership we enjoyed under Captain Kirk.

bungee

Inside Mid
Aug 16, 2006
Sussex
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-03-18/swans-draftee-turning-heads-and-in-r1-mix

What a great start for the kid. Unbelievable that we got him for pick 53.

Best recruiters in the business
I like the way he immediately looks to find space after getting the ball.

Get ball - immediate change of direction - sprint into space - dispose of cleanly.

Reminds me of Daniel Kerr. Gablett Jnr also does it. Lesser players will try to barge through opposition or rush their disposal.

Oct 2, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Is the heat ever off in a final ? I couldn't say honestly that the finals we've lost have been on average any more intense than the ones we've won. I don't think we have a problem winning the big games as such, in fact under Horse we get up more times in finals than we don't. Unfortunately the nature of finals is such that even with the double chance teams still have to win a minimum of three finals in a row to claim the prize.

You're right that there was something went wrong in 2016. We had all the momentum through the finals too. Perhaps it was just the sheer weight of poor umpiring decisions. In 2014 we were shell-shocked from the beat up tactics as the umps turned a blind eye to some stuff that would normally have seen guys suspended. Last year we seemed to simply run out of puff. Cats pulled a great tactical move and our players didn't have the strength left to wrest back the ascendency. The pattern does suggest we lack the sheer mental strength and leadership we enjoyed under Captain Kirk.
Too right, the best indicator of our team is the tackle count. When we win the tackle count we win the game. I think ito players are hard but not too determined, it's just an extra layer of intensity. I'm goingh with the last couple of seasons we get that intensity back

I'd like to continue this metaphor.

Which team is Bubba?
Which team is Lt. Dan?

Which team is Jenny?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back