For reference 2018 champion data had...

Sydney 1st (7th)
Port Adelaide 2nd (10th)
Adelaide 3rd (12th)

Western Bulldogs 7th (13th)
Richmond 8th (3/4)
Collingwood 10th (2nd)
West Coast 12th (1st)

Data based on a prior year with no consideration for factors outside of statistics is interesting but flawed.

For reference 2018 champion data had...

Sydney 1st (7th)
Port Adelaide 2nd (10th)
Adelaide 3rd (12th)

Western Bulldogs 7th (13th)
Richmond 8th (3/4)
Collingwood 10th (2nd)
West Coast 12th (1st)

Data based on a prior year with no consideration for factors outside of statistics is interesting but flawed.

Champion Data must know that this is nonsense. Stats can tell you where you've been, but can't tell you where you're going. Not to mention all the variables like injures and list (and coach) turnover. Thanks for the LOL.

Squiggle predicts 3rd last for sydney

Richmond was bottom 4-5 in 2017.
Dogs at best middle of the pack in 2016.
Pies and Eagles at best middle of the pack in 2018.

I like squiggle, but like champion data is based purely off the previous two years results and doesn’t take anything else into account including what occurred in those seasons (injuries, wet weather, future player development etc).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think we're going to win the flag next year and I agree with the consensus that we'll probably be around the 5-10 mark on the ladder. But winning a flag is not beyond the realms of possibility. We still have enough talent on our list that if the bulk of them fire on all cylinders we'd be hard to stop.

I think the All Australian squads are often pretty telling. This year West Coast, Collingwood and Richmond all had more players named than any other team (besides Geelong) with at least 4 each. Richmond were the dominant team and they had 8 in the squad. Last year Adelaide were the dominant team and they had 8. In 2016, we were the dominant team and we had 5, the most in the comp.

It just goes to show that form really is everything, and you can't judge form months in advance. What we do know is we have a number of players who could realistically be All Australian-worthy. Sir Dane, Parker, Kennedy, Buddy, but there's also Lloyd, Heeney, Mills who was judged the best youngster two years ago, Sinclair who was considered in that wrung below Gawn and Grundy this year, Aliir who has put together two half-seasons that have definitely been AA-worthy, just need him to do it for a full season, Menzel now whose kicked more goals as a small-medium forward than anyone over the last few years besides Breust, and on and on. That's ten names just there that even if only half of them had AA-worthy seasons that would boost us up the ladder.

I don't think we're going to win the flag next year and I agree with the consensus that we'll probably be around the 5-10 mark on the ladder. But winning a flag is not beyond the realms of possibility. We still have enough talent on our list that if the bulk of them fire on all cylinders we'd be hard to stop.

I think the All Australian squads are often pretty telling. This year West Coast, Collingwood and Richmond all had more players named than any other team (besides Geelong) with at least 4 each. Richmond were the dominant team and they had 8 in the squad. Last year Adelaide were the dominant team and they had 8. In 2016, we were the dominant team and we had 5, the most in the comp.

It just goes to show that form really is everything, and you can't judge form months in advance. What we do know is we have a number of players who could realistically be All Australian-worthy. Sir Dane, Parker, Kennedy, Buddy, but there's also Lloyd, Heeney, Mills who was judged the best youngster two years ago, Sinclair who was considered in that wrung below Gawn and Grundy this year, Aliir who has put together two half-seasons that have definitely been AA-worthy, just need him to do it for a full season, Menzel now whose kicked more goals as a small-medium forward than anyone over the last few years besides Breust, and on and on. That's ten names just there that even if only half of them had AA-worthy seasons that would boost us up the ladder.
Why bother with all that on a Saterday night 88 ?

Best looking jumper in the competition.
Actually the best jumper ever was the Fitzroy one IMO. Brisbane should really use it all the time if they were really interested in nurturing their Vic supporters. I know a few that don't follow Brisbane simply because they don't resemble anything Fitzroy. Maybe something as simple as the jumper may have won them over.

Best looking jumper in the competition.
Actually the best jumper ever was the Fitzroy one IMO. Brisbane should really use it all the time if they were really interested in nurturing their Vic supporters. I know a few that don't follow Brisbane simply because they don't resemble anything Fitzroy. Maybe something as simple as the jumper may have won them over.
The beautiful maroon, blue and gold was also the strip of the Caulfield club in the Federal League. We were regularly thrashed in the proud old colours also. It was a jumper in which very ordinary footballers at least looked like champions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back