Tedeski

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 2, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Mava Fan Cooler
Well this is the kind of sh.t that turns a season upside down because he was destined to replace Reg alongside Melican going forward & this was the year he would step up. Should Reg's form fall away then it will force us to play Mills down back again for example & Rampe will play tall again. Tough luck for the kid.

Well this is the kind of sh.t that turns a season upside down because he was destined to replace Reg alongside Melican going forward & this was the year he would step up. Should Reg's form fall away then it will force us to play Mills down back again for example & Rampe will play tall again. Tough luck for the kid.

Steady on there Ted. There was no guarantee Maibaum was even going to be playing senior footy this year. There's still a crowded back-line brigade with Aliir, Melican, Grundy, Sir Dane and Thurlow all back there. And as I said, young Durak Tucker could also be ready for the second half of the season, while Toby Pink gave a pretty decent showing in defence the other night. If we can't find a way around a yet-to-debut-21-year-old's absence without sacrificing an important part of our midfield, our entire coaching staff should get the sack on the spot.

Tedeski

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 2, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Mava Fan Cooler
Steady on there Ted. There was no guarantee Maibaum was even going to be playing senior footy this year. There's still a crowded back-line brigade with Aliir, Melican, Grundy, Sir Dane and Thurlow all back there. And as I said, young Durak Tucker could also be ready for the second half of the season, while Toby Pink gave a pretty decent showing in defence the other night. If we can't find a way around a yet-to-debut-21-year-old's absence without sacrificing an important part of our midfield, our entire coaching staff should get the sack on the spot.
Maibaum was the one to replace Reg so suddenly our depth has taken another hit down back with such a player.

Jul 20, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans

You are right there are no guarantees. Saying that if we lose a couple of them we have very little true tall key defensive depth.

Maibaum was the one to replace Reg so suddenly our depth has taken another hit down back with such a player.

What do you mean 'another hit'? It was the one area of the ground we were looking almost perfect. Who else is injured as a defender? We have a fit Aliir, Sir Dane, Melican, Thurlow and Grundy. That's more than a lot of other clubs have.

Tedeski

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 2, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Mava Fan Cooler
I just think the natural progression of our defence has been interrupted over the years with AJ & then Aliir in 2016 GF jyst when he was hot & then Melican last season after a great 2017. It happens but Could you imagine a solid backlune with AJ, Melican, Aliir, playing 70 or so games together. The same thing happened up forward where we were lucky to have seen more than 20 games with all of Buddy, Tippo & Reid playing up forward in tbe one team.

It's the bad luck that reduces your chances of winning the ultimate.

A friend that coached Maibaum's team mate in the U18's Joshua Begley, had said we were after Begley but the Bombers got in before us but we were extremely happy to take Maibaum who we rated highly as well.
I guess from that point I always thought he would make it down back for us & he still will but this just doesn't help.

This image is being displayed on the AFL website:
1551928837158.png

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-03-06/six-milliondollar-men-as-player-salaries-go-up-again

Brilliant way to keep that negative public sentiment about our success going right?

Written by probably my most despised (excuse for a) "journo" in Damien BarRATt... Endorsed and promoted by the AFL itself. It's disgusting IMO. What I wouldn't give for our club to stick it right up the AFL with a Buddy like deal next trade period...

Jun 27, 2010
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sturt
What do you mean 'another hit'? It was the one area of the ground we were looking almost perfect. Who else is injured as a defender? We have a fit Aliir, Sir Dane, Melican, Thurlow and Grundy. That's more than a lot of other clubs have.

Agree, we're pretty good up back. Though I wonder who takes Nick Smith's role as lockdown defender on small forward. It's not a role we want to give to guys like Jones or Lloyd or McVeigh.

Agree, we're pretty good up back. Though I wonder who takes Nick Smith's role as lockdown defender on small forward. It's not a role we want to give to guys like Jones or Lloyd or McVeigh.

COR or Foxy I'd guess.

COR or Foxy I'd guess.

Agree these two seem most likely and would provide the offensive side that Smith didn't. But not yet. Neither have proven themselves enough yet to take the place of one of our great defenders, though given Smith's expected absence, one of them may get their chance at the start of the season.

Agree these two seem most likely and would provide the offensive side that Smith didn't. But not yet. Neither have proven themselves enough yet to take the place of one of our great defenders, though given Smith's expected absence, one of them may get their chance at the start of the season.

Smith is one of the smarter blokes at the Club. However I thought last year marked a real dip and signalled father time was catching him. I no longer trust him to go near a Toby Green, Devon Smith, any of the Pie and Tiger small fwds.

He still reads the play well but his reaction times may not be as strong. Worse, he is the last player I want with ball in hand.

Playing within his limitations means no run and chippety chip. The Oppo feast on Smithy getting ball in hand. They are schooled to press up.

He is my all time favourite back pocket along with Ackerley and Hughie McLaughlin (Connolly, Swans Proudly and maybe Bedders would remember him).

ScottBo

Team Captain
Aug 17, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
I think Smith might prove to be the most difficult of our veterans to replace. Agree he looked off the pace at times last year but I was reminded of his strengths when he was out injured late last year and Zac Jones was briefly moved onto Toby Green in the finals. Jones has things at his disposal Smith never had (speed) yet Greene taught him a lesson in the art of defending (or not). I can only remember a handful of times in Smith's career when he was worked over like that. Smith's been our no-fuss Mr Reliable. Agree Fox or COR could offer more than he has offensively, just yet to be convinced they have the lock-down abilities and cunning reading of the play Smith does. My longer-odds candidate for the role is Tucker. He seems a natural defender, can play tall or small with more offensive upside than Smith.

I think Smith might prove to be the most difficult of our veterans to replace. Agree he looked off the pace at times last year but I was reminded of his strengths when he was out injured late last year and Zac Jones was briefly moved onto Toby Green in the finals. Jones has things at his disposal Smith never had (speed) yet Greene taught him a lesson in the art of defending (or not). I can only remember a handful of times in Smith's career when he was worked over like that. Smith's been our no-fuss Mr Reliable. Agree Fox or COR could offer more than he has offensively, just yet to be convinced they have the lock-down abilities and cunning reading of the play Smith does. My longer-odds candidate for the role is Tucker. He seems a natural defender, can play tall or small with more offensive upside than Smith.

Agree completely. Let's also not forget that despite a few poor games, Smith still played far more good ones last year. Same as in 2017. I thought he and Grundy were shocking in the 0-6 run, but when Smith found his form, it's no coincidence our back line started working like clock-work again. I know this board has widespread exhaustion from our lack of clean disposal and pace out of defence, but I think those issues are more relevant to McVeigh the half-back. No idea why the lock-down defender in the back pocket is always blamed for that. I don't see the harm in having a purely negative player if they're as good at what they do as Smith is.

Discussion this morning on Sports Sunday re: this year and the over scheduling of sport on the SCG. Footage of last nights Union game and the turf was getting torn to shreds. Don't be surprised if we are playing on a cow paddock this year and there end up being investigations into whether the surface passes standard. I fear injuries to key players based on the footage I saw.

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Discussion this morning on Sports Sunday re: this year and the over scheduling of sport on the SCG. Footage of last nights Union game and the turf was getting torn to shreds. Don't be surprised if we are playing on a cow paddock this year and there end up being investigations into whether the surface passes standard. I fear injuries to key players based on the footage I saw.

Typical. Swans get none of the benefits of the new stadium being built but we get all of the disadvantages.

Typical. Swans get none of the benefits of the new stadium being built but we get all of the disadvantages.
If we aren't paying to build it we have no rights to complain

Given that the entire net assets of the club could pay for 1/350th of the new stadium, we'll take what we get

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney

Yep Waratah's game scuffed the surface up real good chunks were flying with scrums dont forget the Roosters have 9 games there this season!

Kummerspeck

Cancelled
Pokemon is Life
Sep 12, 2013
AFL Club
Sydney
If we aren't paying to build it we have no rights to complain

Given that the entire net assets of the club could pay for 1/350th of the new stadium, we'll take what we get
Why would we pay for a stadium we would never use? What do you think the major income earner for the SCG is?

Why would we pay for a stadium we would never use? What do you think the major income earner for the SCG is?

The Tower of BBL would be a good earner.

Seems Premier Alphabet has stuffed the stadia issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back