News Swans Talk in the Media 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm just a pessimist, but I don't think it's possible for humans to be fully conditioned to not have a single bias against something or someone. As long as there are differences between people, minor or major, people will form cognitive and non-cognitive biases and prejudices against those differences.

Humans are tribal and I don't think that could ever change.

1559484177624.png

Swans must really be scraping the bottom of the barrel looking for reinforcements. Laidler and Stevie J both had surgery this week according to their insta's.

I wonder if the club pays for them?
AFL insurance?

Nathan Buckley was just on SEN and was outstanding talking about Goodsey and wishing he'd done more at the time.
Someone hopefully can put it on here.
Lots of people seem to be saying they wish they'd done more at the time.

Shoulda', woulda', coulda'... didn't.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lots of people seem to be saying they wish they'd done more at the time.

Shoulda', woulda', coulda'... didn't.
Why did you bother , maybe have a listen to it first. Bucks is a quality person and spoke brilliantly as he does these days. WTFDIPUWTC

Even some of the indigenous boys saying they wish they had done more at the time after seeing the documentary.
We are all being educated, some people just need a little more time to learn & others need a little more time to find the courage to speak out against racism & then there are some people that are just not good human beings that don't want to get it.

As long as we are getting better & I believe we are as a whole.

Even some of the indigenous boys saying they wish they had done more at the time after seeing the documentary.
We are all being educated, some people just need a little more time to learn & others need a little more time to find the courage to speak out against racism & then there are some people that are just not good human beings that don't want to get it.

IMO the hard part is self awareness. Realising what you do that contributes to the hate and discrimination.

It took some soul searching for me to realise that I once held racist views/opinions/behaviours & unknowingly was adding to the negativity of discrimination.

I'm originally from a rural area which can be a bit backwards alot of the time. So it wasn't uncommon growing up to hear racist terms etc. I ended up joining in (or not stopping) "jokes" about indigenous blokes begging for smokes etc. Or using or hearing racist or discriminatory language and not stopping it. When I worked in retail, being more concerned with indigenous customers stealing stuff than other customers. etc etc.

It took some serious self awareness for me to put my hand up and admit to myself that I was part of the problem and I wanted to become part of the solution. So I educated myself. I read. I listened. I talked and engaged with people and groups who could help me understand racism and discrimination. I feel like I have eventually been able to build a genuine empathy and appreciation for those victims of racial discrimination. Albeit with the understanding that I will never be able to fully comprehend what it is like as I have not gone through it myself.

So to me it's as much about changing your own patterns of behaviour/thinking as it is criticising others'. It is clearly where guys like Eddie McGuire fail miserably as the ego and narcissism (that made them successful) won't allow them to be so vulnerable and admit fault and correct it.

My wish is everyone stops and thinks deeply and unreservedly and honestly within themselves about what they can do better to eliminate racial discrimination and make themselves part of the solution as opposed to part of the problem.

Are we getting better at stamping out racism or are we getting better at hiding our racist attitudes?

IMO we are getting better at hiding it.
The whole Goodes episode highlighted the very strong undercurrent of racism in our country.

I fear that the AFL's answer will be to trivialise the matter with mass tokenism.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back