News Swans Talk in the Media 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Last year’s trades assessment in which we feature twice. And win both of them.

Really good business by us last year.

Just shows you have to take the whole trade into consideration (salary effects, draft position in the future and potential players you are looking at)

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last year’s trades assessment in which we feature twice. And win both of them.
Don't often say this about AFL.com articles but that one is pretty well spot on in my opinion, actually looks like the author did some research!
Also highlights how complicated trades really are and how rarely it's ever just this player for that player etc.

No point in evaluating trades the year after they happen. Especially when half of the trade stock is draft picks.

I liked much of the article, but I strongly object to the conversion of draft picks into players being used in analysis. I explained this in a bit more detail in List Management 101, but you are only trading for the pick - not its eventual result.

If we trade Isaac Heeney for picks 64 and 65 in this year's draft, and picks 64 and 65 become a triple Coleman Medallist and a dual Brownlow winner, it was still an appalling trade. Not to mention that the club has no idea who will be available at picks 64 and 65. On the flipside, if we trade Darcy Cameron for pick 1 and select an absolute scrub with pick 1, it was still an incredible trade. The trade and draft selection are very separate.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Council stands in the way of development.. what else is new...
I think the main beef is calling it State Significant or exempts us from ‘development fees’.

It actually is State significant. We’re the biggest football club in NSW, and all the bells and whistles that come with it. Other clubs get massive assistance with their training facilities from local councils. But no. Not Sydney.
Thanks for that.

I think the main beef is calling it State Significant or exempts us from ‘development fees’.

It actually is State significant. We’re the biggest football club in NSW, and all the bells and whistles that come with it. Other clubs get massive assistance with their training facilities from local councils. But no. Not Sydney.
Thanks for that.

Oh totally agree. Cash grab!

Hmm. Did I miss something? I can forgive the typo of James Beal for James Bell in the SMH. But I didn't see Bobby Skilton last night, nor did Andrew Pridham give a gift to Heath Grundy (although I'm sure there's one for him). The quality of AFL reporting in Sydney is truely atrocious.
I'm also a bit surprised the Bobby Skilton medal got so little prominence on the AFL website.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back