Status
Not open for further replies.
Announcement: Swans YouTube Channel
Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance
So thanks to the awesome Kennedy Parker you will notice a sticky post at the top of the pages now. This link will take you directly to the Swans YouTube channel which features interviews etc.

Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance
An extract from Fox Footy article on Delisted Free Agents looking for a home:

Aaron vandenBerg (Melbourne)

Vandenberg was hampered by injuries across his career at the Demons, playing just 21 matches over the last three seasons. Despite this, the on-baller was always a reliable performer and regarded as a great clubman. He looms as a good pick-up for a club looking for a leader to set high standards who can play both through the midfield and up forward. Working against Vandenberg is the fact that he’ll be 30 by Round 1 next year. But his intel from being at the Demons during their rise could boost his stocks and provide extra value. Hailing from New South Wales, VandenBerg could help bolster the Sydney Swans’ midfield now that they’re without George Hewett and Jordan Dawson, or offer Greater Western Sydney some more firepower in the mid-forward department.

The AFL website analyses the 2016 draft:

Ollie Florent (pick No.11), Will Hayward (21), Jack Maibaum (45), Darcy Cameron (48)
AFL Pre-Season and Rookie Drafts: Ben Ronke, Robbie Fox, Shaun Edwards, Toby Pink, Sam Fisher (category B)

Verdict: In Florent and Hayward, Sydney should have two long-term players and both potentially could become stars of the competition, so the draft definitely gets a comfortable pass. The question is, however, could it have been better? The Swans left Jy Simpkin on the table who – at the moment – is a better midfielder than Florent. And it is at the backend of the draft – typically a strength for the Swans – where they've been let down. Maibaum was delisted in 2019, rookied, then delisted again in 2020. Cameron was handed to Collingwood after failing to make an impression. Edwards and Pink didn't work out, and while Ronke and Fox remain on the list, Fox has been delisted once and Ronke is hanging on by his fingernails after rising from obscurity in 2018 with a stunning seven-goal effort at the MCG. - Cameron Noakes

I wanted Simpkin or English with our Florent pick, and I think both did up end up better though Florent is the sure 3rd place as the surrounding names aren't amazing. Hayward was a great pick and probably Maibaum too if we ever got to see him.

05NOV21: Luke Parker/AFL Website
Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance
Under the Great AFL Draft Bargains - Luke Parker

Further to that our picks were: Jed Lamb (21) Luke Parker (40), Alex Johnson (57), Matt Spangher (73) Mike Pike (101)

LUKE PARKER (Sydney Swans)

Drafted: Pick 40, 2010 national draft

Current CV: 235 games, 2012 premiership player, three-time best and fairest winner, 2016 All-Australian, co-captain since 2019

List manager Kinnear Beatson tells foxfooty.com.au:

“It was an interesting one that draft because we hadn’t really done a lot of work on Luke because he’d always been a strong performer in every age group that he played at. The reason why we said we hadn’t done a lot of work on him was because, where our draft picks were falling, we just didn’t think that he’d be there.

“On the day of the draft I distinctly remember sitting there and I remember turning around to Roosy and just saying, ‘Mate look, we haven’t spoken a lot about this kid but he’s just too good to go past. He’s a good player.’

“It was as simple as that to be honest with you. Why he fell as deep as what he did - the only reason why I think that might have occurred was in his younger years he was quite a muscular kid. So whether or not he’d be able to physically mature more or that was already his peak.

“But the fact that he was already so strong overhead for his size and such a massive competitor are the reasons he’s got through to be the player he has been with such a consistent record.”

Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance
Oct 29, 2007
Lake Oval
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
SMFC. PMFC,OAFC
Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance
Great get , so much better than some journo's view on our club
What I liked what during the interview she confirmed she's actually a clinical psychologist not a sports psychologist. It was Richard Colless who brought that in and I'm really glad to see Swan's continuing down that road. Other teams use sports psychologist.

And oh wow, she interviews the potential draftees as well. Damn.

06NOV21: Father & Sons lazybits/AFL Website
Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance
The Swans have been as unlucky with their Father/Sons as Geelong have been successful.

The Swans' father-son story is not a pretty one and there's a big, ugly twist: the good ones either didn't want to go, or when they did, they ended up packing their bags. Joe Daniher (son of Anthony) chose Essendon over Sydney, Josh Dunkley (son of Andrew) wasn't nominated … and didn't really want to leave Victoria, Sean Dempster became an All-Australian defender at St Kilda, and the undisputed pick of the bunch, Mitchell, won his Brownlow Medal at Hawthorn after leaving Sydney at the end of 2016. Injury-cursed ruckman Stephen Doyle did play in the 2006 Grand Final but quickly fell out favour. As for the rest, it's not a compelling read. - Cameron Noakes

All father-son picks: Gareth John (1988), Heath James (1998), Stephen Doyle (1999), Sean Dempster (2002), Tom Mitchell (2011)

Kapers

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 25, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
The Swans have been as unlucky with their Father/Sons as Geelong have been successful.

The Swans' father-son story is not a pretty one and there's a big, ugly twist: the good ones either didn't want to go, or when they did, they ended up packing their bags. Joe Daniher (son of Anthony) chose Essendon over Sydney, Josh Dunkley (son of Andrew) wasn't nominated … and didn't really want to leave Victoria, Sean Dempster became an All-Australian defender at St Kilda, and the undisputed pick of the bunch, Mitchell, won his Brownlow Medal at Hawthorn after leaving Sydney at the end of 2016. Injury-cursed ruckman Stephen Doyle did play in the 2006 Grand Final but quickly fell out favour. As for the rest, it's not a compelling read. - Cameron Noakes

All father-son picks: Gareth John (1988), Heath James (1998), Stephen Doyle (1999), Sean Dempster (2002), Tom Mitchell (2011)
Can we just agree to swap all future father son products with the Hawks? Seems like the best result for both of us.

Oct 29, 2007
Lake Oval
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
SMFC. PMFC,OAFC
Chad Warner on social media after making 108 for South Freo yesterday

Jun 27, 2010
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sturt

My favourite part of the story is where they say the Hawks' no. 1 father-son draftee is .... JPK. I'll buy that, but I don't know if any Hawks fans will..

By that logic Tommy Mitchell is our no.1 FS but they didn't go there.

Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance
My favourite part of the story is where they say the Hawks' no. 1 father-son draftee is .... JPK. I'll buy that, but I don't know if any Hawks fans will..

By that logic Tommy Mitchell is our no.1 FS but they didn't go there.
Actually they did nominate Mitchell as our #1 FS

MF

Good Poster, s**t Bloke
Sep 10, 2006
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Liverpool FC

I forgot all about Heath James. Had such high hopes for him

I forgot all about Heath James. Had such high hopes for him

Me too.

Max and Heath sadly just had the injury gene. I saw Max's first game for us. iirc v the druggies. We lost but I was thrilled with Max, who was capable of the spectacular.

Bloods86

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 7, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Adelaide United, Everton, Socceroos

Can't believe the AFL writers got some basic research on us wrong. Dunkley was nominated, we just didn't match the bid.

Jun 27, 2010
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sturt
An interview with Sydney's psychologist offers an insight to how Swans do things differently.

Just listened to it. Another reminder that this club is run by so many good, smart people who make it such a fabulous club to follow.
I wonder how many other clubs use a clinical rather than sports psych?

Bec Goddard is a breathe of fresh air in the footy world too. More of her please.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back