News Swans Talk in the Media: 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Announcement: Swans YouTube Channel
So thanks to the awesome Kennedy Parker you will notice a sticky post at the top of the pages now. This link will take you directly to the Swans YouTube channel which features interviews etc.

I agree with SGBeach that personnel rather than tactics was the main reason for our lack of scoring last year .
Longmire has generally been a defence first coach but he has certainly been working on quicker ball movement/transition, but you need players on the end of it to impact the scoreboard.

Consider our staring fwd 6 in our last game v Geelong was;
McInerney-Reid-Stephens
Hayward-Aliir-Papley

In 2019 we had 4 players averaging over a goal a game (Franklin-2.7, Papley-1.7, Reid-1.3, Heeney-1.2).
Lose Franklin & Heeney, Reid played 10 games and fell away to an average of .5 goals, leaving Papley (-1.5 ave goals) as our main goal threat.

Also a fairly random 11 goals cut-off point from the journo to push his agenda.
Sure we only kicked 11 in two games, but registered 10+ goals in 5 games, winning 4.

I'm sure Horse would like to kick more goals and I sense a more progressive gameplan and hopefully this year, fewer injuries, continued improvement from our younger players, some fwd targets = more goals/wins.
The Daily Fail is off the mark again. In 2020 we went from one of the most efficient goals/i50 in 2019 to bloody awful with the yips all season. We were still getting the ball inside 50 plenty but it was our main target Papley has his worst season ever for accuracy, spraying more than half his shots on goal, as did Reid. Blakey was the worst offender, missing almost 2/3 of his shots. Heeney was a bloody champion by comparison, kicking at 50:50 when he could get onto the park.

Had we converted we'd have won a heck of a lot more games. So sure, by all means bring back Plugger, but for goal kicking practice. The good news is there's even more upside this season.

19MAR21: Buddy & Swans Memberships/The Age

Just imagining Buddy and McDonald playing together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

depositphotos_168165116-stock-video-kids-playing-in-sand-pit.jpg

In all seriousness, and this is wishful thinking, if Buddy can play about 2/3 of his remaining two seasons which would equate to about 30 games, that would be absolutely massive for McDonald’s development and also us as fans.

In all seriousness, and this is wishful thinking, if Buddy can play about 2/3 of his remaining two seasons which would equate to about 30 games, that would be absolutely massive for McDonald’s development and also us as fans.

I'd be happy if they even outright said he won't play again outside of NSW to manage him

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do we think Buddy is ANY chance at 1,000 goals?

If Lance played 2/3 games or never played in SA or WA games, why couldn't he kick the required 56 goals?

So 56 goals in maybe 25 games.. could be tough.
but Lance has kicked 944 goals in 300 games = 3.1 average.
Lance needs just a tad over 2?

but Lance has kicked 944 goals in 300 games = 3.1 average.
Lance needs just a tad over 2?

Well yes but to expect him to maintain or near his career average after a year out and at his age is being a bit generous.

19MAR21: Lions v Swans/Mongrel Punt

So essentially the other bottom four teams from last year will get pummeled first round but we're a sneaky chance.

I actually find the analysis from the Mongrel Punt to be very astute.

So essentially the other bottom four teams from last year will get pummeled first round but we're a sneaky chance.

I actually find the analysis from the Mongrel Punt to be very astute.

The article puts into picture how dumb the AFL are with their round 1 fixture.

Well yes but to expect him to maintain or near his career average after a year out and at his age is being a bit generous.

I think Buddy can still bag two goals a game. If he’s fit enough to play, then I’d be shocked if he’s not getting multiple goals every week just based on the fact that he’d get so many opportunities.

If he plays 25 games he’ll reach 1000 goals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back