News Swans Talk in the Media: 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Announcement: Swans YouTube Channel
So thanks to the awesome Kennedy Parker you will notice a sticky post at the top of the pages now. This link will take you directly to the Swans YouTube channel which features interviews etc.

The Herald Sun has confirmed the Swans have contacted the AFL with concerns over the system which allows the previously unlisted Newcombe to put a price on his head.

The contract terms, which are believed to be north of $150,000 for his second season as part of a three-year deal, help protect his safe passage to Waverley with the Hawks’ second pick.

The higher terms could turn other clubs off who otherwise don’t have the room to accommodate Newcombe’s terms in their salary cap.

The Swans have asked for a review to be completed before Wednesday’s draft in the belief all previously unlisted players should be paid in–line with first-year players in the national draft under the Collective Bargaining Agreement

"This is for the Buds!"

I do understand why a lot of the coverage is around Buddy though. He's the player every fan of every other club knows about, god-tier player, approaching 1000 etc. Same reason why coverage on other clubs focuses around their big names. Richmond it's Dusty, Adelaide it's Tex, Saints it's ... idk, Bradley Hill's form fluctuations is the closest I can think of. Dedicated Swans fans would love articles like 'Top 10 things you didn't know about Malachy Carruthers" (yes that's a joke, kind of), but it's not going to generate the clicks, ad revenue for AFL, Fox et al.

I remember a time not so long ago, growing up in country SA (way back in the late 90s.../sarcasm), where there was about zero news available/promoted to me on the Swans, other than a few lines in the Advertiser (or if we were playing Crom or Port, maybe more) and what was on *shudders* The Footy Show or WWOS updates. So I'll allow the hype.

Yep.
People are looking at media coverage the wrong way. COllingwood and the Saints are getting a lot of coverage right now. I get tired of the Buddycentric focus too but rather that than play-by-play reporting on our imploding board.

Melbourne's a getting a bit of attention because their performance is newsworthy. Lions aren't getting too much coverage and they're flying.

We're not flying but we're not getting attention.

Try this thought experiment; what's a Swans news story that's not Buddy that a general news or general sporting news public would care about? I can't think of one. If Naismith gets back to the As, there's one. If some player has a 40 disposals/5 goals day out, there's another one. I struggle to think of a specific one right now that anyone but diehards would want to read. I could be wrong, just can't think of one.

And remember newsrooms are really sparse on resources right now. No one has time to develop a story or dig very deeply.

Yep.
People are looking at media coverage the wrong way. COllingwood and the Saints are getting a lot of coverage right now. I get tired of the Buddycentric focus too but rather that than play-by-play reporting on our imploding board.

Melbourne's a getting a bit of attention because their performance is newsworthy. Lions aren't getting too much coverage and they're flying.

We're not flying but we're not getting attention.

Try this thought experiment; what's a Swans news story that's not Buddy that a general news or general sporting news public would care about? I can't think of one. If Naismith gets back to the As, there's one. If some player has a 40 disposals/5 goals day out, there's another one. I struggle to think of a specific one right now that anyone but diehards would want to read. I could be wrong, just can't think of one.

And remember newsrooms are really sparse on resources right now. No one has time to develop a story or dig very deeply.

When Franklin retires we will go back to being irrevelant in the AFL media unless we get another massive recruit.

28MAY21:Chad Warner interview/Swans Website
Here's the interview with The Chad. Joel Amartney's guinea pig story is amusing but Chad's idea of date night stories is hilarious.

Last edited:
Article about Luke Parks (Carlton) a former academy player and the overall benefit of the academy;

Like many in the Swans academy, Parks arrived to football through another code. In his case it was rugby,....
If not for the academy, Parks doubts he would have made it to an AFL list.
“I was there for eight years, they shaped the footballer I am today,” Parks said.

And just a reminder for Chins McGuire et al;
Of the 3000 participants in the program since its inception in 2010, only 13 have been drafted to the Swans’ senior list - 10 of whom have played senior football.
What’s less known is there are a further three academy graduates on the books of other clubs - Ben Davis (Adelaide), Jack Buckley (Greater Western Sydney) and Parks.

Kudos to the writer, Andrew Wu, who has quite often touted the academy and is one of the very few who produces decent coverage of the Swans.

30MAY21: Swans v Carlton Match Reports/Multiple
It's nice cracking a 100 for the win :tongueoutv1:

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

01JUN21: Swans article/AFL Website
Great work from the Swans. Here is their catchup with the young lass who caught the ball in the Carlton game

02JUN21: Buddy Franklin article/AFL Website
02JUN21: Midseason Report Card - lazybits/ESPN
Rohan Conolly does his midseason report card on all teams. Swans are A

02JUN21: Buddy Franklin Interview/Yokayi Footy
Tony Armstrong (rocking that awesome Swans scarf) with a short interview of Buddy Franklin on Yokayi Footy. Interview starts at 23:00min in... but I urge you to watch the entire show as there's plenty of Swans players mentioned throughout the show. I think we'll be getting more excerpts of the full interview in the following weeks.

Matt White with Tom Harley
Covid and AFL, last night's draft, St Kilda game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back