News Swans Talk in the Media: 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Announcement: Swans YouTube Channel
So thanks to the awesome Kennedy Parker you will notice a sticky post at the top of the pages now. This link will take you directly to the Swans YouTube channel which features interviews etc.

Article on Buddy.
Lots of love.
(May be paywalled so relevant quotes).

Pridham on Franklin's contract;
‘If you had your time again would you do it again?’ And the answer is ‘yes’ in a heartbeat.”

Pridham;
“He (Franklin) always jokes that he is expecting to sit down soon and talk about contract extensions. I am sure he wouldn’t even want to be paid,” says Pridham

“I have got no doubt we will be sitting down to discuss an extension. I think as long as he has got the desire and can stay fit, I think he can keep going (past 2022)."

Tom McCartin;
“He was great in the hub. He has a lot of connections with a lot of boys and we got to see the other side of him,” McCartin said.
“At times it was tough for the older boys with their families but looking back it was a great experience.
“I guess you weren’t forced to spend time together but the good thing about our club is that everyone embraced it. It was really great.
“We just enjoyed each other’s company so it’s made us all closer.

“He has always been a really humble guy, he loves teaching the young boys stuff and he juts goes about his business but he’s just a genuine guy.”

Longmire;
“He goes into the hub the whole time, he has just had a baby, Jess had another on the way, he can’t play, he is still invested, forms great relationships with kids and young fellas,” Longmire said.

“Then he didn’t go away anywhere, works through the off-season, works through Christmas, so in the end he’s got a lot to give.”

Papley;
But off the field in the hub, me and Justin McInerney and a few guys formed a really close relationship with him.
“He would have found it hard being away from his family but he bonded with everyone.
“With him not playing, he could have easily got on the plane and instead he stayed with us and supported us. We played (ping pong) every night and he was always there.”

McVeigh;
“Last year he didn’t even have to come to the hub and the fact he wanted to be part of it meant a lot to the players.
“He has been around for a long time and he’s a quiet and shy guy, but once you get to know him as the young boys did, he is one of the boys.
“He wasn’t even training as well, which was even harder for him.
“And seeing the boys train and play when you can’t do it and you don’t have your family as well, it would have been doubly hard.”

I've said it a few times but last year really was a blessing in disguise with buddy. To have a true clubman who wanted to help out wherever he could especially when he had a perfectly good reason not to was just awesome. A real team first mentality which won't have gone unnoticed by the other players and staff. His example epitomises the way we are playing this year and also the bloods culture which resonates throughout this club.

When all other clubs had to trim their coaching staff we got basically an extra one for free to go with the already shrewd recruiting of Pyke. I mean who better to teach a young playing group, especially the forwards than a bloke who's closing in on 1000 career goals?

Personally I'd love for him to be playing for us for longer, if we can keep this group together over the next 3 years maybe he's got that chance for another flag. He could even snag it this year if we dare to dream!

When you hear so much toxic talk coming out of other clubs with off field incidents, personality clashes, bad blood and all the rest it's comforting that you don't get much of that from the swans. Sure the Taylor incident was awful but it stands out because there just isn't that many to report. I mean Collingwood seems to have had more negative issues this year than we've had in the past decade!

Anyone who questions whether the buddy signing was worth it clearly doesn't have anything to do with the Swans and only cares about flags. I'm happy to support this club.

Yes or no Bois

Nope, long ass flight. Might get stuck in Perth due to covid lockdowns etc. Boys already have had heaps of movements and distractions, we don't need another one. I prefer if we just let the boys settle into the hub at GC without worrying about travel.

Make them travel and deal with all that hassle. We have a real shot at top 4 with the lions losing so we need to take every advantage we can.

Yes or no Bois
No from me. We will be coming off a six day break, Freo off 9 days, why would we want to be flying across the country and give them all the advantages? We've moved around enough this last month.
Finishing 4th will earn us plenty.

Nope, long ass flight. Might get stuck in Perth due to covid lockdowns etc. Boys already have had heaps of movements and distractions, we don't need another one. I prefer if we just let the boys settle into the hub at GC without worrying about travel.

Make them travel and deal with all that hassle. We have a real shot at top 4 with the lions losing so we need to take every advantage we can.
Great minds think alike Nuggz

Yes or no Bois

Also if they want to play his 350th at home then leave him out of the side until they get a scheduled home game!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes or no Bois
not sure how the other 5 teams chasing the last 2 spots in the 8 will think about Freo getting an extra home game?
Perth is a loooong way for the Swans to travel
We'll make our money if we reach the top 4
Theres a chance for us to be playing finals at the SCG infront of 40000 Swans fans. While that's still a chance, I reckon that should be our goal.

A Big No from me

not sure how the other 5 teams chasing the last 2 spots in the 8 will think about Freo getting an extra home game?
Perth is a loooong way for the Swans to travel
We'll make our money if we reach the top 4
Theres a chance for us to be playing finals at the SCG infront of 40000 Swans fans. While that's still a chance, I reckon that should be our goal.

A Big No from me
Bless you for thinking we're going to be playing in front of a crowd come finals time. I on the other hand, this that's not going to occur.

Yes or no Bois
Freo will have had three more days recovery time than the Swans and expect them to fly across the country to play them on top of that?

I don't know why Freo needed to make the offer public anyway, unless they are trying to move coverage of their last game off the news pages? Let's leave a yes to this sort of deal to the clubs closer to insolvency than a flag.

Tell 'em they're dreaming, Tom.

17JUL21: Swans influence on final contenders/AFL Website
We play a lot of teams aiming for a top 8 spot. Conversely, if we keep winning we might by some miracle make the top 4.

Live large Swans and aim to misbehave

We play a lot of teams aiming for a top 8 spot. Conversely, if we keep winning we might by some miracle make the top 4.

Live large Swans and aim to misbehave

Future is in our hands. PA still have to play St Kilda and Bulldogs. I imagine they'll lose 1 of those.

If we continue to win, and to win well, top 4 is ours

Yes or no Bois
No.

Imagine the precedent it’d set.

We’d see Norf selling their home games every week.

The comp already lacks integrity. This’d just destroy what’s left.

Also if they want to play his 350th at home then leave him out of the side until they get a scheduled home game!
I think this is a brilliant idea. Makes complete sense. Fremantle should definitely consider this as the most viable option.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back