Status
Not open for further replies.
Announcement: Swans YouTube Channel
Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance
So thanks to the awesome Kennedy Parker you will notice a sticky post at the top of the pages now. This link will take you directly to the Swans YouTube channel which features interviews etc.

Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance
The SEN one read pretty true for McInerney, even though he is not a lock for best 22.
The Fox one was complete rubbish.
So my suggestion is "Not worth your time".
That would apply for most of the Fox articles for sure.

Jun 27, 2010
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sturt
Not really gossiping given O'Loughlin is trying to get on the Swans board right now. It is a genuine discussion. Do we want someone like O'Loughlin on the board?

Yep.
Police investigated the incident - no charges laid.
There was a financial settlement.
Cant point to a single blemish in his on-field or off-field career before or after.
Unless the victim comes forward and objects there's no reason why O'Loughlin shouldn't be a candidate.
In the wake of the Collingwood disaster it's clear AFL boards badly need indigenous representation. O'Loughlin would be an excellent addition.

bungee

Inside Mid
Aug 16, 2006
Sussex
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
I'm tempted to call these sort of articles soundbites or something. Not sure yet, the articles aren't full features like the one above on McCartin...I'm up for suggestions.

They're lazy-bites. The journo's too lazy to write a whole article about a club, particularly about Sydney, where they'd have to do some research rather than just chatting at the pub. Someone meantions McInerney, they look up his stats on footywire, write a couple of lines, ctrl S, done. Pick up the cheque on the way out.

Sep 24, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Weird article on Dusty Martin considering Sydney move in 2 years time, he'd be 30 then. I hope we dont do anything stupid like a long term deal.

'Weird' is rather polite.

Synopsis as the article is paywalled;
Ralph Carr, Martin's manager says Dusty could play " until he’s 36 or 38,” .
Dusty loves Sydney (the city) oh he "loves rugby league, too,"
Supposedly Buddy & Dusty's contract both up at the end of next season. (At the time of his re-signing it was widely reported Martin's contract is actually to the end of 2024)
Pressed on the Swans, Carr said: “I can’t say, that’s a big question."

Did I mention the article is written by a Rugby League journo?

Definition of clickbait
: something (such as a headline) designed to make readers want to click on a hyperlink especially when the link leads to content of dubious value or interest

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
Long term as in 6-9 years from the age of 30 is asking for trouble.

It is but if it were shorter (contract) you’d have to consider it (assuming his contract is genuinely up and we can get him as a free agent). Two years time we are probably genuinely at the start of our window with our list.

Might be some cream for the cake.

MOD NOTE:

I've removed some posts relating to Michael O'Loughlin as it was taking the thread off on a long tangent.
Gonna attempt to reframe the discussion in a way that's more appropriate for the purposes of this forum.

1. Michael O'Loughlin was involved in an incident in 2000 where he allegedly participated in the rape of a woman alongside two other players.
2. The allegations did not lead to a charge or prosecution.
3. O'Loughlin made a contribution of $200k to a financial settlement after the woman took civil action.

We know the above points to be true.

O'Loughlin is now running to serve on the board of the Sydney Swans.

There's a pertinent discussion to be had on this topic, but it should centre around the question 'Given the facts that are known, is it in the best interest of the Sydney Swans to have MOL sit on the club's board?'

It's fair to discuss risks and liabilities in terms of the club's repute, consistency with club values, other potential downsides etc. What will not be productive is speculations on what really happened, guilty/innocence and a bunch of opinions on the incident that nobody can substantiate with facts, that's just going to go around in circles.

If you want to talk about sociology, problems in the justice system and broader issues, you can do that in threads in the BSB or over at the SRP forum. But for purposes of this thread, keep it focused on the club and game.

swanssince2002

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 21, 2018
21kms from Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Golden State Warriors
You would be moving heaven and earth to sign pretty much the best player (Dusty) in the league no matter the contract. Sure it might be bad when he turns 36 for example, but you do it. If he gives us 2 premierships within the next 5 years, we would be saying well done.

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
You would be moving heaven and earth to sign pretty much the best player (Dusty) in the league no matter the contract. Sure it might be bad when he turns 36 for example, but you do it. If he gives us 2 premierships within the next 5 years, we would be saying well done.

I wouldn't. What is the point of paying an arm and a leg for 3 years of strong football before another 4 years of injury and decline?

SGBeach

Premiership Player
Jul 19, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
Absolutely, of course we will find someone to whinge about it if it happened
haha.. yep that'll be me
no way would i sign someone - anyone, on a long and expensive contract starting at the age of 30. especially when the core of our list is in their early 20's

swanssince2002

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 21, 2018
21kms from Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Golden State Warriors
I think we all agree that it shouldn't be a long term deal for Martin (6-7 years is steep for sure), but if its for 4-5 years gee it would be hard to turn down. I get that he might be slightly out of our contending window but if we show signs of improving as a team (say 6th - 9th on the ladder this year), then I would go for it if he wants to come here.

Sep 24, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Unbelievable.

A rugby league journo in Phil 'buzz' Rothfield puts up a completely speculative article on Dusty that gets the most basic factor wrong (length of Martin's current contract).

People on here complain about the media and yet here we have people debating Dusty to the Swans based solely on clickbait.

Murdoch papers 1, Swans BF board 0.

SGBeach

Premiership Player
Jul 19, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
Unbelievable.

A rugby league journo in Phil 'buzz' Rothfield puts up a completely speculative article on Dusty that gets the most basic factor wrong (length of Martin's current contract).

People on here complain about the media and yet here we have people debating Dusty to the Swans based solely on clickbait.

yep.. Dusty is contracted until 2024 (I think) therefore to get him before he turns 34yo will be how many first round picks? and his salary will result in who and how many players leaving??
The article got it wrong and then contradicted itself??!!?

Unbelievable.

To be fair Rothfield is barely a rugby league journo.

swanssince2002

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 21, 2018
21kms from Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Golden State Warriors
Ah damn got trapped by the Murdoch papers/press... my initial thoughts indeed were its too good to be true. But deep down inside, I could only dream. Anyways, heres to the team pulling a 2003-like run and punching above their weight.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back