News Swans Talk in the Media: 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Announcement: Swans YouTube Channel
So thanks to the awesome Kennedy Parker you will notice a sticky post at the top of the pages now. This link will take you directly to the Swans YouTube channel which features interviews etc.

I would use two examples of plays this year where, IMO, it is blatantly obvious just those few metres more or less makes a massive difference.

The Dawson/Campbell 60m kick-in to the corridor, best exemplified at the G vs Richmond. Next time Fox shows the view up the field from behind the goals at the SCG, take a look at the space available in the corridor. Hint: there's none. Now maybe it's just our bad luck that we keep encountering absolutely supreme defensive structures at our home ground every time, but Adelaide? Essendon? GWS? Yeah, nah.

The second would be the Warner goal out of the centre vs Richmond. I'd like to know a time at the SCG when anyone has ever had 10-15 metres of space to run into between the centre square and inside 50? Wouldn't happen.

I don't understand why a few metres here and there are dismissed as minor differences. It's a game of metres, sometimes centimetres, where the ball is moved by hand or foot. The less meterage you have to use the ball in, the more perfect that ball use has to be. It means that unless you are a team of ridiculous skill level (like Hawthorn used to be, hence their good record at the SCG), then your game plan won't get off the ground. That's why SCG games are scraps and never high-scoring, free-flowing affairs.
I am not convinced

That Warner goal happened because he beat Graham's tackle and because Papley's opponent who had previously attacked out of the forward 50 instead hung back because he was worried about Tom

That Warner goal happened because he beat Graham's tackle and because Papley's opponent who had previously attacked out of the forward 50 instead hung back because he was worried about Tom

He was able to break Graham's tackle because he had momentum from already running 10 metres at least in the clear, and the tackle didn't come until he was on the 50m arc. At the SCG the edge of the centre square pretty much is the 50m arc. No room to run onto, he'd be met with the tackler straight away. It wouldn't work. It's just common sense that if your meterage is reduced across the ground, every player is just that little bit more compacted. That is all it takes to go from having separation on an opponent to them being right on your tail.

He was able to break Graham's tackle because he had momentum from already running 10 metres at least in the clear, and the tackle didn't come until he was on the 50m arc. At the SCG the edge of the centre square pretty much is the 50m arc. No room to run onto, he'd be met with the tackler straight away. It wouldn't work. It's just common sense that if your meterage is reduced across the ground, every player is just that little bit more compacted. That is all it takes to go from having separation on an opponent to them being right on your tail.
There is just a couple of metres difference in length between the SCG and the MCG. You said "At the SCG the edge of the centre square pretty much is the 50m arc. " How can that be?

We played well at the Gabba where it's literally 1 metre longer (ie 50cm at each end), and 2 metres wider (1 extra metre at each wing). We often play well at Docklands which is about 7 metres narrower and has less surface area than the SCG overall.

22APR21: Is Paps injured?/AFL
Let the speculation flow

After reading this
Papley ran out with the team at training on Thursday, but stayed away from the group for the duration of the session, observing most of the run from a massage table.
I really feel it should conclude;
where his personal butler served him canapes and a fruity red.

It's far easier to explain teams doing better against us defensively by us having exposed form and then having time to look at tape and structure up accordingly

On Nokia 7.1 using BigFooty.com mobile app

What do you consider exposed form to be? Because teams have been doing better against us defensively on that ground for the past four years, so if it's not the ground itself, it must be something we are doing wrong.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If my maths is right (huge if) I have the area of the two grounds as roughly:

SCG: (155/2) x (136/2) x pi = 16556 metres

MCG: (161/2) x (138/2) x pi = 17450 metres

So MCG roughly 900 metres bigger according to my admittedly rudimentary maths knowledge

edit: metres not metres squared

Last edited:
If my maths is right (huge if) I have the area of the two grounds as roughly:

SCG: (155/2) x (136/2) x pi = 16556 metres

MCG: (161/2) x (138/2) x pi = 17450 metres

So MCG roughly 900 metres bigger according to my admittedly rudimentary maths knowledge

edit: metres not metres squared
I get 1266m sq

Okay all. if you want to talk the 4 monthly SCG size issue it's time to take it to another thread please.

caesar88 wills2g Donza

I think the whole topic came up because Garry Lyon, a media figure, mentioned it in direct reference to us.

But yep it's a conversation that can go in a million different ways and waste a lot of pages on and not worth triggering the bedford clause over.

I think the whole topic came up because Garry Lyon, a media figure, mentioned it in direct reference to us.

But yep it's a conversation that can go in a million different ways and waste a lot of pages on and not worth triggering the bedford clause over.
Screenshot_20210422-205407_Drive.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back