News Swans Talk in the Media: 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Announcement: Swans YouTube Channel
So thanks to the awesome Kennedy Parker you will notice a sticky post at the top of the pages now. This link will take you directly to the Swans YouTube channel which features interviews etc.

Hickey interview on Friday.

I was listening to a FoxSports podcast & one of them said he rang the club to get an interview - with the response being that the club has been smashed by a large number of requests to interview Samson - as a result club advised him Hickey will be fronting the cameras on Friday.

05MAY21: Hayden McLean/SMH
Buddy’s understudy ready to join main cast after priceless lessons from the master
Franklin is a guarded figure in public but behind the scenes he is heavily invested in the development of the Swans’ youngsters.

There is nothing glamorous about watching through tapes of games but Franklin happily volunteered his time to McLean, sharing the tricks of the trade with the 22-year-old.
“Last year being in the hub, he chose to come being injured to spend time with us young boys and gel with us,” McLean said.
“He helped me a lot with my forward craft, going through vision each week, talking about the things he worked or the things he did when he was younger. He certainly has had an impact on me and my forward craft. Sam Reid has been massive for me as well.

“A few games I said ‘can you watch my forward patterns, where I’m getting, and each quarter report back?’. That helped each week and then it became
more natural
McLean has called a mentor, having also worked with former Hawthorn great Dermott Brereton as a teenager. Brereton’s son played in the same junior teams as McLean at Beaumaris, in bayside Melbourne.

Buddy’s understudy ready to join main cast after priceless lessons from the master
Franklin is a guarded figure in public but behind the scenes he is heavily invested in the development of the Swans’ youngsters.

There is nothing glamorous about watching through tapes of games but Franklin happily volunteered his time to McLean, sharing the tricks of the trade with the 22-year-old.
“Last year being in the hub, he chose to come being injured to spend time with us young boys and gel with us,” McLean said.
“He helped me a lot with my forward craft, going through vision each week, talking about the things he worked or the things he did when he was younger. He certainly has had an impact on me and my forward craft. Sam Reid has been massive for me as well.

“A few games I said ‘can you watch my forward patterns, where I’m getting, and each quarter report back?’. That helped each week and then it became
more natural
McLean has called a mentor, having also worked with former Hawthorn great Dermott Brereton as a teenager. Brereton’s son played in the same junior teams as McLean at Beaumaris, in bayside Melbourne.

I was always of the opinion that signing buddy at the time to such a big contract was a bad idea.

While undoubtedly he's been great for us as a player on the field one has so think that he's been a failure for the massive price paid. No premierships to show for it. All the injuries and clogging the salary cap have left us having to lose players we might not have wanted to ideally.

That is until you take into account his off field contributions which imo has far outweighed the price we paid for him. He's a draw card that has put bums on seats, he will surely have helped with public profile, merch sales, sponsorships, memberships, etc.

By far the most opportune thing of it all is the fact that with covid and the soft cap cuts we have essentially got a coach outside of the soft cap. His experience and knowledge especially on a very young group must be such an awesome asset for the club. How good must it feel coming to a club knowing your going to be learning from one of the greatest forwards of all time. That must be such a rush to take the field even just for training along someone like that.

It would've been so easy for him to put up his feet at home last season and rest up with the family. Credit to him for being the clubman that he is and playing that coaching mentor role. It really shows that the club came together and looked to build to something special in a pretty crappy situation last year.

Looking forward to seeing more of the fruits of their labour this year.

I was always of the opinion that signing buddy at the time to such a big contract was a bad idea.

While undoubtedly he's been great for us as a player on the field one has so think that he's been a failure for the massive price paid. No premierships to show for it. All the injuries and clogging the salary cap have left us having to lose players we might not have wanted to ideally.

That is until you take into account his off field contributions which imo has far outweighed the price we paid for him. He's a draw card that has put bums on seats, he will surely have helped with public profile, merch sales, sponsorships, memberships, etc.

By far the most opportune thing of it all is the fact that with covid and the soft cap cuts we have essentially got a coach outside of the soft cap. His experience and knowledge especially on a very young group must be such an awesome asset for the club. How good must it feel coming to a club knowing your going to be learning from one of the greatest forwards of all time. That must be such a rush to take the field even just for training along someone like that.

It would've been so easy for him to put up his feet at home last season and rest up with the family. Credit to him for being the clubman that he is and playing that coaching mentor role. It really shows that the club came together and looked to build to something special in a pretty crappy situation last year.

Looking forward to seeing more of the fruits of their labour this year.
Ive told this story on here before,, but appropriate to do so again..
Three years ago my 2 x 7yo nephews went to an all schools sports day. 1000 kids all up
Rugby league sent their star, as did rugby union and soccer. The Swans sent Buddy.
At the end of the day, 1000 kids wanted to play AFL.

Ive told this story on here before,, but appropriate to do so again..
Three years ago my 2 x 7yo nephews went to an all schools sports day. 1000 kids all up
Rugby league sent their star, as did rugby union and soccer. The Swans sent Buddy.
At the end of the day, 1000 kids wanted to play AFL.

Buddy is a bit like Barry (Hall) in that way. Kids loved them both.

06MAY21: Coaches in isolation/Fox
I wonder if Melbourne will be forced to coach with just their head coach so that VFL teams aren't disadvantaged. Oh wait nevermind it's an out of state club.

This isn’t the afls doing

Is what it is
I get that but the training in small groups thing that was implemented because Vic teams couldn't train in larger groups was done to keep the playing field level.

One team having an extra 3 coaching staff watching the game live taking notes and making suggestions to the head coach seems like a massive advantage.

I get that but the training in small groups thing that was implemented because Vic teams couldn't train in larger groups was done to keep the playing field level.

One team having an extra 3 coaching staff watching the game live taking notes and making suggestions to the head coach seems like a massive advantage.
Just deal with it. Not a biggie.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just deal with it. Not a biggie.
I'm fine with it, it's exactly what I would expect tbh.

I don't know about not a biggie, the ability of the coaching team to make decisions in game on the fly would be extremely difficult without 3 extra people there who usually are. Last week for example the changes at quarter time seemed to be quite significant to the way we played. The coaching staff being able to go and address all the lines individually and oversee their particular section during the match will be a big loss.

07May21: Coaching Challenges/ALF Website
07MAY21: Mother Pen Gulden interview lazybits/ESPN
An interview with mothers of AFL players - our Pen Swan is Mrs Gulden

having your Mum pick apart your game :)
Being an assistant coach of the Sydney Swans Academy's senior girls team, and a mum to sport-loving kids, Bronwyn tries to keep the footy talk to a minimum at home. She says she watches Errol's games differently: she picks apart the structures and pays attention to Errol's running patterns.

07MAY Statistics lazbits/Stats Insider
For those of you interested in the stats - here you go.

Without wishing to be a downer I wonder how Lewy Taylor feels when he reads a headline like Behind every great footballer* is a selfless, hard-working and loving mum.

For those that don't know the background, here's an Emma Quayle article prior to Lewy's drafting;
(Not a happy son/mum story)

*In before well Taylor isn't a great footballer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back